Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jürgen Brand Puzzles
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:56 am 

Hendrik Haak left us a too-subtle hint a couple of weeks ago that referred to his new puzzle friend, Jürgen Brand. On his website, Herr Haak posted a link to some photos of puzzles that Herr Brand built:

http://www.puzzle-shop.de/start-shop.html

Everybody do yourself a favor and look at these beautiful creations! They will knock your socks off!

Does anybody know any more about this craftsman? Is puzzle-making a hobby of his, or a business?

Post subject: Octahedron puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:13 am 

Hey Carter,

The octahedron puzzle pictured in the link you posted is a variation of the 3x3x3 cube. From what Ive heard of the people from this site, they could probably make one from this milliput stuff of theirs... Hope someone can do it! They look great. Maybe it would be easier to start from one of those diamond type cubes where the corners are already in the right shape...

James.

Post subject: Starting with diamond cube
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:29 am 

I agree. Now tell me where do I get a reasonably- priced diamond cube puzzle?

Post subject: You are not right...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:08 pm 

The octaeder is a corner-shaped Revenge-Cube (4x4x4)!
You can´t build this from a 3x3x3-variation cube because there are 4 layer on each side.

Post subject: Sure it is...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:07 pm 

There are 6 corners on the octahedron - these correspond to the 6 centres of a 3x3x3. The 8 middles correspond to the corners of a 3x3x3 and the 12 edges of the octa correspond to the edges of the 3x3x3. Thats how you would make it from a 3x3x3.

There is a virtual one at this website

http://www.byrden.com/puzzles/MainFrames.html

under "not boxes". The colouring on this version makes it even more obvious that it is really a 3x3x3 in disguise.

-James.

Post subject: Unpossible...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:37 am 

It´s unpossible to make a 4x4x4 cube from a 3x3x3!
Jürgen used a 4x4x4 cube and maked deep cuts on the edges. It´s the same way as from a 3x3x3 cube to a cubeoctahedron.
I know it because Jürgen told it me when I meet him this year, I was holding this puzzle in my hands and twisted it.
Please look at the second picture (white side), there you can see the 4 layer. Believe it, it´s a revenge-variation.

Post subject: hehe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:29 am 

I agree. If I could find a diamond cube I wouldnt make it into something else either... The only way I can think of to get a diamond cube is to make one. But then why would you make one of them and then make an octahedron out of it??

Post subject: Are we talking about the same puzzle?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 6:06 am 

The puzzle im talking about is in waynes list of wanted puzzles called "mefferts target". where is the second picture where you can see the white side? i want to see this.

just to be clear, i wasnt saying you can make a 4x4x4 cube out of a 3x3x3 cube. neither was i saying that this puzzle must have been made out of a 3x3x3. but simply that it is possible to make it out of a 3x3x3. im not sure why it would be necessary to use a 4x4x4. am i the only one who can see how you would use a 3x3x3? (provided were talking about the same puzzle...) i think someone else before agreed with me when we said you could use a diamond 3x3x3.

Post subject: Has someone asked Herr Haak yet???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:29 am 

Has anyone tried to find out more info on these puzzle yet? The pictures were pretty amazing.

Post subject: No, You're Talking About Different Puzzles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:02 pm 

James must be talking about the Trajber's Octahedron. Hendrik is talking about Jurgen Brand's octaeder he built from a 4x4x4. You have to click on the yellow letters "Jurgen Brand" to see these terrific puzzles.

Post subject: Looks like a 4x4x4 to me
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 3:32 am 

I don't see how this could be made out of a 3x3x3 cube?
Looks like a revenge to me.

Post subject: I'm making one from a 3x3x3... I think
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 6:06 am 

There's certainly a puzzle which externally resembles the octahedron we're talking about which can be derived from a 3x3x3; the corners are deeply shaved like the diamond, the face centers get fixed pyramid hats and the edges get large angled caps. I've made two sets of molds for the pieces but it's a slow refinement process interrupted by purchasing a house and remodelling it over the past 12 months, with little progress to report.

To settle the confusion, maybe Hendrik can post pictures of his puzzle in mid-twist illustrating the cut planes of the puzzle?

Post subject: Yeah thats right!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:02 pm 

Thanks Carter! Now I know whats going on!! What a mix up - I was trying to carefully not offend anyone but it was obvious Trajbers octahedron was a 3x3x3. And Hendrik was doing the same with the other puzzle. The problem? I only know English... Thanks for the tip of clicking the link - I dont know why I didnt think of it before... The puzzles are amazing!!

-James.