Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
I think pembo deserves a 7x7x7 rank :mrgreen:. Having, what? 1000+ more posts than everyone else?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: Marske-By-The-Sea, UK
+1

_________________
List of Speedcubing methods
Speedcubing tutorial

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
Yes, something he's been striving for, more than a WR in speedsolving. ;) :P

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Good lord,
Will Pembo ever shut up? ;)

edit: Post 666 :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:11 am
Location: Oregon, USA
Does no one else think Pembo's avatar looks like Simon Pegg there?
Attachment:
Simon Pegg.JPG
Simon Pegg.JPG [ 3.68 KiB | Viewed 2617 times ]
  • same collar
  • same shirt & tie
  • same ears
  • same number of eyes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
VeryWetPaint wrote:
same number of eyes


Now *that* is a shocking revelation for a Cyclops like myself...

:P


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
VeryWetPaint wrote:
Does no one else think Pembo's avatar looks like Simon Pegg there?
Attachment:
Simon Pegg.JPG
  • same collar
  • same shirt & tie
  • same ears
  • same number of eyes


pembo's alternate reality possibly?

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/avenueq14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: Utah
Its a good idea, maybe for 2500+ posts

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kloopstomp


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
if 2500, that means 2 people will have the 7x7 rank

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/avenueq14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: Utah
TheCube wrote:
if 2500, that means 2 people will have the 7x7 rank


Actually there would be 3 people: Pembo, Speedy McFastfast, and Noah.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kloopstomp


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
IMHO, We would be better off without this sort of ranking system.

_________________
Fridrich
3x3 PB 22.63
3x3 Av 30.57

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:25 pm 
I think a Karma system, like on masterthecube.com would be better. While there are some abuses of the negative button, pretty much everyone's karma ends up reflecting post quality.
Edit: On MTC, there is also a system based on post count like on here, but the addition of Karma is definitely beneficial.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:14 pm
Location: VA, USA
Yes, but people may click the negative button for no reason, or thinking it's funny, because they do not like that person.

_________________
2x2x2 . . . PB: 1.65 Avg: 5.32
3x3x3 . . . PB: 11.32 Avg: 17.33
4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:42 pm 
Siraj A. wrote:
Yes, but people may click the negative button for no reason, or thinking it's funny, because they do not like that person.


Considering most people have never met a majority of members in person, clicking the negative button because you don't like someone is a fairly good indicator of their post quality. As for abuse of the negative button, I'm sure it happens at MTC, yet when I look at the karma's, they do very accurately reflect how I personally feel about their posts.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
Ethan Rosen wrote:
Siraj A. wrote:
Yes, but people may click the negative button for no reason, or thinking it's funny, because they do not like that person.


Considering most people have never met a majority of members in person, clicking the negative button because you don't like someone is a fairly good indicator of their post quality. As for abuse of the negative button, I'm sure it happens at MTC, yet when I look at the karma's, they do very accurately reflect how I personally feel about their posts.



Maybe if it worked like Ebay - whereas you can see who left you +/- remarks and the reason why.

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 1999 12:18 pm
Location: Palerang Shire, NSW, Australia
Sorry 6x6x6 will always be the limit, as achieving as many posts as possible for the sake of it is not encouraged.

_________________
Wayne Johnson (Developer)
http://waynejohnson.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
sausage wrote:
Sorry 6x6x6 will always be the limit, as achieving as many posts as possible for the sake of it is not encouraged.

Personally, I think it only motivates some members to continually post more stuff (and that tends to be irrelevant) in hopes to achieve a higher rank faster. I'm all for getting rid of it. As the site evolves, so must it's features? :?

I'd honestly wouldn't care if I was permanently stuck with a 1x1x1 rank. (Although I wouldn't mind a 2x3x4 or 4x4x5 rank. :P

_________________
Fridrich
3x3 PB 22.63
3x3 Av 30.57

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:45 pm
sausage wrote:
Sorry 6x6x6 will always be the limit, as achieving as many posts as possible for the sake of it is not encouraged.


Good. Ranks always encourage this sort of behaviour


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Hiram, Ohio
VeryWetPaint wrote:
Does no one else think Pembo's avatar looks like Simon Pegg there?
Attachment:
Simon Pegg.JPG
  • same collar
  • same shirt & tie
  • same ears
  • same number of eyes


I personally think Pembo's avatar looks like Dewie from Malcom in the Middle :D :wink:

back to the subject

This may be complex but why not not have different ratings in the different forums, in order to up your score you'd need to meet certain requirements
ex. puzzle building- 1x1x1= 0 puzzle builds,2x2x2= 7-13 puzzle builds etc.

EDIT: whoops bumped an old thread :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
hawk wrote:

This may be complex but why not not have different ratings in the different forums, in order to up your score you'd need to meet certain requirements
ex. puzzle building- 1x1x1= 0 puzzle builds,2x2x2= 7-13 puzzle builds etc.

EDIT: whoops bumped an old thread :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


first: what about 1-6 builds?

second: people could lie... "yea, i've done 12 mods, but i don't have a camera"

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/avenueq14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
TheCube wrote:
hawk wrote:

This may be complex but why not not have different ratings in the different forums, in order to up your score you'd need to meet certain requirements
ex. puzzle building- 1x1x1= 0 puzzle builds,2x2x2= 7-13 puzzle builds etc.

EDIT: whoops bumped an old thread :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


first: what about 1-6 builds?

second: people could lie... "yea, i've done 12 mods, but i don't have a camera"


It sould be based on skill and complexity not amount. I could make 30 horrible 3x3 mods and be considered a high level puzzle builder and someone could make a gigaminx and 5x5x4 and considered low level.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/TheAtarian1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 7x7x7 rank
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
TheAtarian1 wrote:
TheCube wrote:
hawk wrote:

This may be complex but why not not have different ratings in the different forums, in order to up your score you'd need to meet certain requirements
ex. puzzle building- 1x1x1= 0 puzzle builds,2x2x2= 7-13 puzzle builds etc.

EDIT: whoops bumped an old thread :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


first: what about 1-6 builds?

second: people could lie... "yea, i've done 12 mods, but i don't have a camera"


It sould be based on skill and complexity not amount. I could make 30 horrible 3x3 mods and be considered a high level puzzle builder and someone could make a gigaminx and 5x5x4 and considered low level.



If this was strictly a Puzzle Building forum, maybe. But it's not. And there's reasons that Sandy got rid of the rankings.

Yes, and stop bumping ooooold threads. ;) :P :lol:

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group