Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 4x2x2 plan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:27 pm 

Ok, since yesterday's post regarding that weird puzzle on Jaap's site, sitting up till 1:00am designing the parts and changing them to a 4x2x2 model instead.... finally, the old patent on Calormen.com... this has got to work!!!

Take a look, it looks simple enough to make and the parts are not visible and can't fall out during a half turn:

[img]1028276407.JPG.htm]

[img]1028276418.JPG.htm]

Post subject: Re: 4x2x2 plan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:27 pm 

> this has got to work!!!

I think it will. The patent drawings use an unnecessarily complicated shape for the feet (they have a small upturned lip - maybe that is why you first disregarded it as it would be hard to make).

> Take a look, it looks simple enough to make and the parts are not visible and can't fall out during a half turn.

Nor during a quarter turn. You can let it change shape. However, I would suggest making the legs much wider. That would give the extended pieces more support when they stick out on their own - not only is the leg fatter so that it is less likely to break, the foots quarter circle shape is larger so that the extended piece is not connected only at a corner but more in the centre of its internal facelet.

Jaap

P.S I have a distinct sense of deja-vu about this. Hasn't this been discussed last year or so?

Post subject: Next stop - Junior Dogic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:44 pm 

The 4x2x2 is on my list to make as well - I was pondering attaching the additional cubies by adding a raised track to the outside of the 2x2x2 faces since there's not much spare room inside the puzzle.

The hypothetical Junior Dogic is just a variation of this with all of the cube's sides extended this way, by truncating the 2x2x2 into a cuboctahedron and making the extensions right-pyramids.

Alas, I'm way behind on all of my projects. Strangely enough, though, I have an Octaminx mostly done like everyone else.

Post subject: Tracks on the outside
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:55 pm 

Unfortunately, building a track on the outside will mean the cubies will fall off at the third turn, or will able to be twisted out.

There is actually just enough room inside. There is 1mm of space that is untouched under the surface.

Post subject: Re: Tracks on the outside
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:29 am 

I agree with Wayne here. Raised tracks (rather like the Square-1 mechanism) to extend the 2x2x2 to a 4x2x2 could only work if the other 4 faces are also extended as otherwise the extra cubies can be slid off after a quarter turn of a side. The 4 sides need not be extended by extra cubies, as simply building them up a bit may be enough. Still, this spoils the overall shape - you might as well bandage a 4x4x4 then.

Post subject: Not cubes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:29 am 

How about changing the shape of the cubies so they arn't quit cubes. Make them a little shorter along the 4 cube axis. At a 90 degree turn, they can't slide off the track. This spoils the looks a little but not a much as extra cubes, extensions or bandages.

Walt