Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Octaminx
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:23 am 

Okay, so I finally got off my butt and did the first half of one of the 3 dozen puzzle transformations on my to-do list.

Here it is (thanks to Carter's page for the inspiration):

(See more pics here: http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/fs.cgi?str=puzzle.cgi?pid=397)

So because I'm so inexperienced I have a few problems that I'd like to ask all the experts' help on before proceeding.

First, the puzzle looks like crap, because I haven't smoothed out the surfaces. Question number one, then, is what is the best way to smooth a surface? Please be detailed about the materials if you can. Is there a power tool or two that I will want to buy to help me do this that will save me a bunch of time and elbow grease?

Second, I've got springs in there to help with the tension, but they seem to be "attaching" the screw to the facelet (whatever) to the center ball... thus unscrewing when I twist the face. Is glueing (sp?) the screw into the ball the best way to go? Are there any other tricks I will want to try first? What was that blue glue everyone says is the stuff to use for this job?

Sandy

Post subject: Weird co-incidence and instructions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:52 pm 

Well that is weird. We have both been working on an octaminx at the same time. Finished mine yesterday.

FOR SANDING:
1. Get two grades of sanding paper 180 and 800. 800 being very smooth sanding paper. Do most of your sanding with the 180, sanding a whole face at a time, but don't finish a whole face. Basically, sand away on a face, twist a few faces, then sand all faces again. This will give an even level to all corners and centers, getting an average height.
2. disassemble the puzzle and sand each piece with 800 sandpaper until it's nice and shiny smooth, also giving the edges a rounded look like most puzzle pieces if you like. The pieces will be nice and smooth, but will still have a matte look about them.
3. Get a regular piece of paper (yes that's right, the smoothest type of sandpaper there is!). And rub the sanded pieces against the paper. After a few rubs, your piece will come up shiny! Neat eh?

FOR THE SPRINGS:
1. The reason the springs catch and unscrew is because the spring is pointed down, probably because you cut the spring short, perhaps? Either way, instead of using any type of glue, get a pair of small pliers and bend the end of the spring up so that it can't catch into the plastic. I know this is a rough description. Let me know if you need me to explain it better or do you a picture.
2. If this doesn't work, put a small washer at the top and bottom of the spring.

Post subject: Re: Weird co-incidence and instructions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:07 pm 

First off thanks to both Wayne and Doug for your tips.

I'm afraid to see pictures of your Octaminx Wayne, but after we're both completed, I would probably benefit quite a bit if we traded pix and had a discussion about what I did wrong! I'll let you know when I add the finishing touches.

The sanding tips are great... thanks. I'm off to the hardware store at lunch! Probably buy some of that blue glue while I'm there just to avoid the trip next time. Plain paper for the shining... that's a classic good tip. You need to add that sort of stuff to your site!

Yes, I did cut the springs... they were way to long. And, yes, you're right, they probably are digging into the puzzle come to think of it. I'll try to bend up the pointy bit and/or try using washers (or maybe buy some new small springs ones while I'm at the hardware store!).

I'm thinking that the screw/spring solution may require some more work on the screw holes themselves. I used a drill to sink the holes, and the inside isn't all that smooth or symmetrical. I might have to smooth it out in there before any solution (other than glue) will work. If only I had a drill press.

Anyway, thanks again!

Sandy

Post subject: blue glue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:23 am 

It's looking good. I think the blue glue that you mention is blue Loktite for holding the screws from backing out. There's also a few other similar brands of thread locking adhesives. It's expensive (about $4 for less than an ounce.), but it doesn't require much to do the job.

Doug.

Post subject: No worries
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:07 pm 

No worries, Sandy. Hope it works out well. I'm pretty happy with the surface of my octaminx but some pointed ends are not even on mine. Basically some come to a point, a few other a little rounded.

I'll try again in October when I can get back to some decent tools and a grinder. I 'drilled' the holes with two different sized screwdrivers (very dodgy I know).

Anyhow, I'll post the photos probably tomorrow before the stickers go on.