Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trajber's octahedron
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:30 pm 

I just got my Trajber's octahedron from Japan and it is very nice. It takes time and they are nor cheap, but the puzzles are worth it since they are very well made (I also have a Mental Block).

Here is the link if you are interested
http://csx.jp/~3dpuzzle/sub4.html

Post subject: Cool...but how much moolah did...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:31 am 
it cost u Oscar?
I read from their page it's ~US$150 for one and it takes about a month+ to complete.
Usually if it's from an original/official production line, I wouldn't mind paying that amount but looking at the fact that they r handmade(regardless of much time/effort), I just find it unacceptable to fork out this much dough for a puzzle :)
But then beauty is in the eyes of the beholder I guess, congrats again on obtaining another rubik's treasure! :)

Post subject: Well Made production quality - How Much ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:04 am 

Let me see

You cannot get a Mental block or a Trajber's octahedron on any store or on eBay. In fact, it is unlikely that they will ever be produced commercially.There are probably less of these in existance than Dogics. They are nicer than most other puzzles that I have and mine were very well made, better than some comercial crap that I have bought. You would probably have to spend more between materials and time to make one (by the way, they cost quite a bit more than $150). So, yes I think it was worth it and that is why I am promoting here for serious collectors.

Post subject: Trajber Octahedron
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:31 am 

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure that the Trajber's Octahedron was never a production puzzle. (Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong.) So if you want one, it's either a custom built puzzle or no puzzle at all.

Doug.

Post subject: $150 for a cuboctahedron?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:00 am 

I noticed that there is a 3x3x3 cuboctahedron shown on the given link. Is this guy in Japan spending many hours to make these and then selling them for $150? Maybe he doesn't realize that you can usually pick up a production one on Ebay for around $20. Perhaps this puzzle is unavailable in Japan.

Doug.

Post subject: Great Feedback
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:08 am 

Thank you for the valuable feedback. The photos at the website look like the puzzles are of the finest quality. I place a great value on high quality workmanship, and I agree with you that it is worth the money for a puzzle that cannot be obtained in any other way. I do not understand the attitude that handmade puzzles are junk; that only production puzzles have value.

Post subject: Re: Well Made production quality - How Much ?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:04 am 

Good for you, Oscar.

I totally agree that a good quality is worth paying for especially if we are talking about twisty puzzles!

And thanks for that feedback. I was wondering about their quality myself.

Cheers,
Vadim

Post subject: Handmade puzzles can be great...but...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:27 am 
it is just that personally, when I think that an enthusiast can put enough effort/time/skill to handmake a puzzle, I feel like it's possible even for me to do it on a personal belief, as such I would give it a try 1st in making them b4 I pay huge amounts for one :)
I do share your passion that these Japanese puzzles have excellent worksmanship in it but then if I were to buy one Trajber now, the standard is not there as everytime the guy makes one, it gets a bit better bcoz they are handmade, each time a puzle is produced, the quality/attributes differ a little from b4.
I dunno, but each time I make a Tartan or Calendar cube, it gets better with time and exp. so now u share my view of why I have a reservation for handmade puzzles but if tehy were just les pricey, i would go 4 one anytime :)
Oh, Wayne/Ton/Carter(if u guys are around), how does your worksmanship compare with the Japanese line? Just curious TQ!

Post subject: Workmanship
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:27 am 

I'll tell you the honest truth. When I make one, I try really hard to get it perfect. I can spend two weeks working evenings and weekends on a puzzle. Hours of shaping and sanding and shaping and sanding. Then primer paints and color paints and clearcoats. Then hours of getting the stickers the exact geometry and size and positioned in the right place. And in the end, it isn't perfect. By then, I'm tired of it, and I don't want to mess it up to make it better. But you are right. Every puzzle I make is better than the last, because there is some new trick or material or technique that gets applied to the next one.

Even so, I don't think I can duplicate the quality of the 3D Puzzle Reconstruction Studio. Even though he's got great photos of his materials on his website, I would love to know more about his construction methods.