Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Other Bandaged 3x3x3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:14 am 
most of us are familiar with the bandaged 3x3x3 that is sold by Mefferts. The picture below of Wayne's "single fused cube" got me to thinking. What other bandaged variations are out there. Of course all of the siamese cube variations can be reproduced in single form. Also a domino can be done. Is there anything else?

Post subject: BANDAGED PYRAMINX and bandaged 4x4x4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:14 am 

http://www.calormen.com/vpm/pyramidpuzzles4of5.htm
1 picture

http://www.calormen.com/vpm/squarepuzzles1of5.htm
3 pictures (it was recently mentioned that you can have up to 10 variations of a bandaged 4x4x4)

Post subject: bandaged 5x5x5 and Fisher
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:18 am 

http://www.calormen.com/vpm/squarepuzzles3of5.htm
the special 2x2x2 is really a 5x5x5. You can probably make a lot of variations of this one.

The Fisher 2 is a bandaged Fisher

Post subject: 3x3x3 bandages
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:29 am 
Oh yeah, I forgot about Fisher 2! I know about the other bandaged puzzles. I meant what other bandaged variations can be made out of a 3x3x3 cube. I have found another one that turns it into a 2x2x2. any more????

Post subject: Bandagings
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:56 pm 

There's loads that can be done, literally hundreds, if not thousands of bandagings possible on the 3x3x3. As for the 4x4x4, there's only 10 bandagings if you restrict yourself to AxBxC variations or insist on some strict symmetries. Otherwise there's probably over 10,000 possible bandagings, which would probably require a lifetime for a human to explore them all (if it's even possible). For example, bandage a corner with an edge, and leave everything else the same. There's a new bandaging. Bandage a centre with an edge. There's a new bandaging. On the Revenge, bandage 2 centre pieces together. Once again, there's a new bandaging. A lot of these will create minimal difficulty increases over the original puzzle, others will vastly simplify it, and others still will turn the puzzles into your worst nightmare (eg. The Wall/Interleaved Cube). There's no law out there that says that bandagings HAVE to be symmetrical. Just look at the one that Meffert's selling for a case in point. Another "worst nightmare" one is the "Fisher 2" cube, a bandaging which, as far as I know, was developed by Greg Stevens, not Fisher. If you'd like to try one for yourself (sort of), bandage a 2x2 block on opposing sides of the cube, one directly above the other. Then bandage the 4 2x1 blocks adjacent to them on the top and bottom faces. Then let the fun (or torture, if you prefer) begin! :) L8r.