Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1 layer square 1
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:25 am 
I've been woner if a one layer square one is possible. I know that it would probably have to have a quite complex mechinism but I just want to know if it is posible.

Post subject: Hard to make
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:15 am 
yeah, I've thought about that too. It would be more like a one layer rubik's cheese than a hockey puck because it wouldn't have a rotating center. The mech would be very difficult to make as I can't think of any easy solution to it. Were you the one who said a while back that you could make a 1x3x3 and such from cubes? How do you do that? Do all the pieces interchange?

Post subject: Like a Hockey Puck?
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:25 am 

http://www.wsd.com/HockeyPuck/

Post subject: One possible mechanism...
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:15 am 
Wow, this one was a toughie.

I'll discuss how to make a 12 sliced disc; the 1 layer Square 1 is essentially a bandaged version of this. The 12 sliced disc has 6 planes of rotation, angled at 30 degrees to each other.

First off, the core is a sphere made up of 6 orange slices. If you look at the patent page Jaap just posted, you'll see a nice solid mechanism for this puzzle. Essentially, 3 of the slices have lipped ridges and the other 3 have grooves. This inner core handles rotation along 3 of the planes.

Now 6 circular grooves are cut into this sphere. If you look at the sphere from a pole, these 6 grooves will form a Star of David, with vertexes coinciding with the already existing edges between the core slices. These grooves have lips as if to lock a rail in place.

The outer pieces are paired into 6 pairs, each pair forming a lipped cylindrical trunk to engage the grooves. The exception is one piece which is permanetly fixed to its underlying core slice (this core slice does not need the grooves in it, except for a tiny arc by the edge opposite the fixed piece).

These grooves handle rotation along the other 3 planes. When rotating along one of these planes, one trunk will rotate in place while the two neighboring trunks slide along the grooves to switch places.

For the single layer Square 1, a significant amount of simplification is possible because of the 60 degree corner pieces. The fixed piece can actually be a simple extension of one of the core pieces. This makes two of the other corner pieces have central solid trunks and the last corner piece has two half trunks on each edge.

Due to various symmetries, it's also possible to remove some of the grooves on other pieces.

Post subject: ??
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:23 am 

a one layer square one would have 2 different combinations. if you mean a 1 layer cheese, then yea, its easy to make. Bandage the layers of a UFO and buildup to make it look like the right shape.

Post subject: One-layer square-1 is not like the UFO/cheese.
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:37 am 

Keep in mind, Tyler, that the square-1 puzzle has 30 degrees and 60 degrees pieces. The UFO only has 60 degrees pieces. That's what makes this such a tricky mechanism to design.

Doug.

Post subject: Yes, but
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 11:37 am 

its still not that complicated. Just add extra axis to a cheese like mechanism. Hard to build, but on paper its simple.Anyway, what would you need a 1 layer square one for? It would only have 2 positions. If you mean a 1 layer cheese, then it might be at least a puzzle. (as a cheese has 6 axis of rotation, square one, has 1)

Post subject: That's true, but....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:37 am 

You're right, that's true. But, I think the intent was that without the old middle layer (with only 1 axis of rotation), you could then have 4 (unequally spaced) axes of rotation.

Doug.