Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Catalog of Custom Puzzles
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 7:22 pm 
I've been considering working on compiling a list of known puzzle modifications and ranking them according to difficulty to make and difficulty to solve. Here's a couple of questions:

1. We've recently discussed 10 possible variations of the 4x4x4. Add fused and siamese variations to those and we get a total of 12. Does anyone know any more? Which variation is the hardest to solve?

2. Besides the fused and siamese and custom 2x2x2, what variations of the 5x5x5 have been made. Has anyone actually made a pyraultimate or a 14 sided version of a 5x5x5?

3. What is the hardest in terms of difficulty to solve of all of the skewb variations?

4. I've asked this before but just want to see if any of the new people have any more information. Is there any modifications of the Megaminx that anyone has come up with? I know of only one: the Megaminx ball which is essentially a megaminx sanded smooth into a sphere and painted.

5. If I cataloged the possible variations of each base mechanism (ie ... all known possible modifications of the 3x3x3, pyraminx, etc...) would anyone be interested in posting the info on a site?

Post subject: 5x5 mods
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 6:32 am 

I've made an extended 5x5 (looks like 7x7)
also a fused 5x5, siamese 5x5, and i could make a 14 sided (cuboctohedronal) 5x5, but i wont. there is no reason for one

Post subject: What about unmade puzzles?
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 10:47 pm 
On a similar subject I would like to have a list of unmade puzzles, because we have come up with good ideas for puzzles on the forum and others have in other places but as soon as one is out of sight it seems to pass out of mind. I would like it if there were a list of all of these so that none would be forgoten, and maybe at some point someone could start makeing them.

Post subject: Good idea...
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:54 am 
I like it. What are the most prominent unmade puzzles? Pyraminx Crystal, shaped cubes of other orders, Master and Professor Megaminx. That wild shaped Alexander star on acid thing that ya'll were talking about a few strands ago. A Master and Junior Dogic. Mastermorphix (although I assume from Wayne's having a picture of one someone has actually made this) Master and Professor Pyraminx. 6x6x6 and larger cubes. I'm working on a Master Square One which I will show ya'll once I ever get around to finishing (I've got exactly half of it done). Am I missing anything obvious?

Post subject: Master square 1
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:43 am 
I have thought of doing one as well, it seems to be an encredibly simple idea and if it weren't for the fact that i am giveing my brain an extened vacation i would probably be working on it now. As is i look forward to one of my iedas being done at all, and am happy that othr people think along the same lines as me. Good luck and I look forward to seeing it.

Post subject: Professor Square One
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:46 pm 
I've thought about making a Professor Square One by making 5 layers with the middle a non trivial layer that exchanges pieces with itself. However at half a turn, the top and bottom pieces would fall off as the puzzle would be to tall in relation to it's width. Any ideas on how to overcome this problem? I know a buildup to increase the width of the overall puzzle would work but that's a lot of pieces in addtion to the large amount of work already

Post subject: Professor Square 1
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:56 pm 
The top and bottom layers can be made out of pieces with a "trunk" leading down into the central mechanism.

If you put all of the bottom layer's pieces together, it should look like a flat square box with a cylindrical rod coming up out of it. At the top of this rod should be a slightly wider disc, which forms a ridge that will keep the pieces in place.

The middle layer pieces are from the original Square 1 mechanism, but with a cylindrical core cut out of the center. This is where that rod goes into. A groove is also cut to fit the ridge.

If you start with a Square 1 and simply do the modifications listed above, then the result will be a tall box with 3x3x5 dimensions. You'll have to expand the pieces radially in order to get 5x5x5 dimensions.

Post subject: Higher order Square 1
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:56 pm 
Also, by using concentric "trunks", any number of layers may be added. For increased sturdiness, the central pieces should have additional concentric circular rails for these additional trunks to engage.