Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My first mod! :)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:48 am 

Man I feel so proud, even though it's just a siamese, and I did it really badly.

-Tim

Attachments:
PIC_0035.JPG
PIC_0035.JPG [ 81.97 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:26 am 

Ahh siamese, the first step of all puzzle builders. Nice work, I remember when I made my first siamese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:40 am 

Yeah I don't know what I'm going to do with other puzzles, though. I can't find the polyester resin or something here, so my ideas for building these mods are scrapped. But I have an idea for a 5x5 supercube that only requires some glue and some hand tools. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:29 am 

I have also made a siamese, or rather, I have made a edge connector so far, but it holds the puzzle together quite good...

I just have a question about how to proceed.
I had in mind that I was going to ad two corner connectors, so that the cubes would be joined together with three separate pices.
Now, my qustion is this; Would you recomend sticking to my idea, or do you think it is better to fit these pices together to make on connection pice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:50 am 

Make three separate pieces, otherwise it seems to be unstable to be connected at just that edge. The edge is the easy part, however. :) The corners are much harder, but make them separate pieces, then superglue the corner-edge-corner at the end.

If you look carefully, there is a white border around the corner connector. That was terrible craftsmanship of me such that the corner's surface was uneven, so I had to take a paper plate and paste it on, then add the sticker. :)

So anyways this is what I plan on doing with the remainder of my puzzles:

2 2x2's: Make one into a square prism (don't know how, since I don't have putty or anything), the other I'll make into a 1x2x2 with a keychain 2x2.

Dimensions: 3.5x3.5x5cm, 2.5x2.5x5

2 4x4's: 2x2x3; it'll be huge: 9x6x6cm.

2 5x5's: My own idea, basically on the centers it'll have an extra cubie sticking out, representing the orientation of the center. The middle center will be raised two cubies, so it looks like this:

X
XXX
XXXXX

On the surface of a face.

More puzzles later:

2x2x3, using a 3x3 + keychain (oh man this will be difficult).

2x2x6, will be done on Thanksgiving (where I have no school)

Magic Balls, two magics.

4x4 special supercube, similar to the 5x5 I mentioned above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:12 am 

Swordsman Kirby wrote:
Make three separate pieces, otherwise it seems to be unstable to be connected at just that edge. The edge is the easy part, however. :) The corners are much harder, but make them separate pieces, then superglue the corner-edge-corner at the end.

I did it differently. I made one big connector piece as follows.

1. Take the edge piece of one cube, and saw about three or four millimeters off its outer edge. No need for subtlety here since it will be hidden inside the cube later anyway.

2. Glue the two corner pieces of the other cube onto this edge piece. The bit you removed in part 1 has made enough room for the feet of the corners.

3. Saw the feet off the other two corner pieces. These feet will have triangular holes in them. This is good, because it allows you to glue them in place on your connector piece. You may need to widen the holes a little.

4. Saw the foot off the remaining edge piece. Glue this onto your connector piece.

It took me about half an hour, but with good tools you can easily do it much faster.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:18 pm 

Hi :)

Why not simply keep one corner from each of the cubes and make a combined edge that snaps into both cubes? Will this not be stable enough ? :?

Cheers!

-Per :solved:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:33 pm 

Ooh, one corner from each... I'll try that next time, if there'll be a next time. :lol:

-Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:14 pm 

perfredlund wrote:

Why not simply keep one corner from each of the cubes and make a combined edge that snaps into both cubes? Will this not be stable enough ? :?

Cheers!

-Per :solved:

Well, that is how mine looks at the moment, and it is stable, unless you want to speedsolve it...
I guess it could get stable enough for speedsolving if you glued the three pieces together, but I don't want to glue them together (as I have learnt from others it will get to "stiff"), so I will make three connectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:13 am 

Haara wrote:
... I don't want to glue them together (as I have learnt from others it will get to "stiff"), so I will make three connectors.

I hadn't thought about that. Not that I care particularly, since I won't be speedcubing the thing.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:14 am 

jaap wrote:
Haara wrote:
... I don't want to glue them together (as I have learnt from others it will get to "stiff"), so I will make three connectors.

I hadn't thought about that. Not that I care particularly, since I won't be speedcubing the thing.

I don't think I will either, but who knows, better make it good from the start :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:41 pm 

Just a quick tip for (super)glueing. Glue twice ...

First time to align the pieces and make a strong first bonding.
Second time to fill all remaining gaps and make it even stronger (and more beautiful). Use a paper or something second time around to remove excess glue.

Per :wink: