Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Puzzle Idea
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:44 pm 

Hey all,

I was at work today and playing with my Siamese cube when I looked at it and thought, what if there was a 3rd cube hanging off of here. I don't mean like a Triamese cube, but I mean like a mirror of the one that is already there, so it would be:

aaa_
a_|_|_
|_|a|_|

(Apparently pictures don't work it posts, so ignore the letter as in the diagram) I'll draw a Picture in Adobe, sorry, just got home from work and came right here.

I'm sure someone has thought and/or built this before, but it was an original idea in my brain, and I had never seen it before. It would be quite odd/peculiar to solve, and I'm not sure how stable it would be. To make the connectors you would have to make them out of a very strong glue to withstand the force exerted on it, becuase that third cube would pull downwards when solving the 1st cube, and same while solving the third.

I dunno, lemme know how lame/good the idea is, and if someone has already done this before. If not I'll name it (maybe someone can give me a name for it, or I'll just call it Bouchard's cube, or something lame like that)

Thanks for reading this,
Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:56 pm 

This is just a rough drawing in did in about 2 minutes, so that you guys get the idea.

Attachments:
File comment: Just a rough drawing...
rough.jpg
rough.jpg [ 11.11 KiB | Viewed 1796 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:58 pm 

I looks reminiscient of the end of level castles in Super Mario Bros. 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:58 pm 

Seems like a cool idea, but the middle cube is pretty pointless because of how weakly it can be scrambled. to many bandages on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:04 pm 

I dunno... it looks like it could be scrambled pretty well, and you've only got at most 3 faces and 2 slices to help you solve it. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:18 pm 

I thought you meant something like this but guess not never mind. It was thing of the top picture that Sandy drew. He is missing 1 column on the right side.

Or you could go down to the second picture.:wink:

viewtopic.php?t=671&highlight=crazy+siamese+cubes+%2Ajaap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:37 pm 

A triamese can easily reach the shape you described by turning one of the corner cubes 180 degrees around the axis of the middle cube.
Are you actually talking about a different sticker variation?

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:15 pm 

Yah, this is a lot like a Triamese I agree, but solving the second cube would be completely different. You would have the E slice (which you'd just have to get the centers right on, the M slice and U slice (edges only, like a lot of Roux solvers would like...) And then the other 2 must be solved using 2 gen only. So this is an original idea? Weird...

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:07 am 

chbouchard777 wrote:
Yah, this is a lot like a Triamese I agree, but solving the second cube would be completely different. You would have the E slice (which you'd just have to get the centers right on, the M slice and U slice (edges only, like a lot of Roux solvers would like...) And then the other 2 must be solved using 2 gen only. So this is an original idea? Weird...

Craig

No, it IS the triamese cube, just with a different colour scheme. You can turn the R or L face of the middle cube to turn it from one shape to the other.

I think that what you want is that the two bandaged parts are immovable with respect to each other. To do that you would have to put 4 cubes together as shown in these previous threads:

viewtopic.php?t=2496
viewtopic.php?t=671

Jaap

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:54 am 

No, it isn't the Triamese cube. Because the Triamese cube you can only make (well from the angle is made, without doing the R2 to make it like this) You can only do Es, and Ms (when you do the R2 all of these moves are possible) I dunno, It was just an idea. If its not worth building I won't waste the time or cubes...

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 pm 

Why would it not be worth building? As you say, it ends up in a different solved state than the Triamese, so the middle cube would end up having its own unique solution. I suppose it could be solved like a Triamese, but you'd have to solve one of the slices upside down to do so. Over and above the Triamese, this one also has the added challenge of trying to figure out which cube belongs on the left and which on the right. I say, go for it, dude! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:14 pm 

You'd always know because the connectors act as the "centers" which never "move" on the cube, and you can always tell by looking at that "center," no? I guess I'll build it *orders more cubes*

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:53 am 

Actually, no you can't. This can be easily seen on a standard cube. Try it out for yourself. On the top of the cube, look at the colour of the front left corner. Now do F2 R2. What colour is on top of the back right piece?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:20 am 

Tim Browne wrote:
Actually, no you can't. This can be easily seen on a standard cube. Try it out for yourself. On the top of the cube, look at the colour of the front left corner. Now do F2 R2. What colour is on top of the back right piece?

This gives it a neat parity problem. You can end up with 2 pieces apparently swapped on the middle cube. This almost makes me want to buy a triamese and resticker it into this configuration.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:11 am 

Sweet, I'm going to make it then :D:D:D My own creation...and for what you said Tim, if you always look at one of the 2 "connectors" and are used to the colour scheme, then the furthest it will be away from "solved" (all 3 cubes where they are supposed to be) is R2.

Craig