Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Build your own Master Magic?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:04 pm 

Would it be possible to build a Master Magic (12 tiles) by disassembling two regular Magics (8 tiles) and using the parts to make a Master Magic?

Obviously you would have to make your own images, but non the less...

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Last edited by Noah on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:13 pm 

Yes, it is possible. Thats how I made my magic. Also, i believe that the Yahoo speedcubing group has images for a Master Magic. Just remember that a Master Magic is backstrung, as opposed to a regular magic being frontstrung. This just means that your strings go on opposite sides of the tile then with a regular magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:31 pm 

Scott Bedard wrote:
Yes, it is possible. Thats how I made my magic. Also, i believe that the Yahoo speedcubing group has images for a Master Magic. Just remember that a Master Magic is backstrung, as opposed to a regular magic being frontstrung. This just means that your strings go on opposite sides of the tile then with a regular magic.
I was going to have to look it up anyways. :P I've never tampered with a magic before anyways.

Thank you though. It's just I really want a Master Magic, I'm just a cheepskate and would like to save as much money as possible for college while still feeding my addiction.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:43 am 

If your trying to save money, make sure to get the Harry Potter magics, or the Homer Simpson ones. Since you'll be replacing the images anyways it's a big money saver. You'll save like $5 per magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:08 am 

Scott Bedard wrote:
If your trying to save money, make sure to get the Harry Potter magics, or the Homer Simpson ones. Since you'll be replacing the images anyways it's a big money saver. You'll save like $5 per magic.
Indeed. Thanks for the heads up.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:52 am 

Maybe you also have a look on this (It's the one I currently use as avatar):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6057129568

Sure, this is nothing to build by oneself at home (unless you have the machines), but the idea is similar.
At least I can say, that the base is still based on a normal 3x3x3-mechanism. The height difference of the single pieces is not as extreme as Hitetoshi's very beautiful design.

Regards - Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:56 am 

Frank Tiex wrote:
Maybe you also have a look on this (It's the one I currently use as avatar):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6057129568

Sure, this is nothing to build by oneself at home (unless you have the machines), but the idea is similar.
At least I can say, that the base is still based on a normal 3x3x3-mechanism. The height difference of the single pieces is not as extreme as Hitetoshi's very beautiful design.

Regards - Frank

Uhm, what does this post have to do with building a master magic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:07 am 

Sorry,
wrong thread. This one should go to the bump cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:10 pm 

AHHH Wait...Scott, there's one thing you should all know, as should anyone who's ever tampered with Magics...The Potter and Simpson magic tiles are thinner, and the quality of the Master Magic is much decreased. I cannot get anywhere as good of times with my homemade compared to one with thicker tiles...

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:22 pm 

chbouchard777 wrote:
AHHH Wait...Scott, there's one thing you should all know, as should anyone who's ever tampered with Magics...The Potter and Simpson magic tiles are thinner, and the quality of the Master Magic is much decreased. I cannot get anywhere as good of times with my homemade compared to one with thicker tiles...

Craig

Actually, having thinner tiles is much much better in my opinion.

If we see it from a mechanical point of view, magics are *supposed* to be as flat as possible, so that the strings would not get too much stretched and the tiles would almost merge with each other.

I agree that in some other puzzles, the quality may increase if the puzzle is more solid. In this case though, thinner tiles makes it more robust and... "delicate"! ;)

Now if we see it from a collector's point of view, that is a totally different story! :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:32 am 

In my opinion, too... I'm not sure what the issue is, but the graphics program that I'm using doesn't print straight up and down. It's slightly angled. Oh, sure, it LOOKS straight up and down if you're just printing one sided, and it's close enough not to matter in those cases, but when I'm trying to print 2 sided for magics, it's pretty obvious that the images are slanted, as the borders intersect each other, which means 2 sided printing is out. I also use card stock for extra durability, to help prevent the possibility of the paper going all wavy as I'm trying to assemble the images the right way around back to back. Assuming for the sake of argument that the Potter tiles are thinner, the dual layered card stock would probably bring it up to the thickness of the standard Magic with a single layer of magazine style paper. Not that it would really mean anything for a speed solver, though... all of my Magic styles have a completely unique solution developed by myself and bear no relation to the commercial Rubik products whatsoever. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:15 pm 

I can send the original Master magic's inserts (paper tiles).