Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: puzzle idea. your input?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:05 pm 

Hey. I was finishing up one of the master cuboctahedron puzzles that I am going to be selling later. And I had an idea.

What if, you made the puzzle with the truncations "deeper" into the cube, so that you could round the centers and build them up into a smooth turnable tip? I think this would be a kinda cool puzzle to see, although I am having trouble picturing it.

To make the truncations "deeper", I am thinking about cutting the edges as I cut the corners. Im not sure if this will work, but Im almost positive that it will allow me to build the truncated corners into the 3 centers closest.

Now I may be 100% wrong on this. But I think it's worth toying with. Can anyone here tell me if my idea would allow my to build my truncations into a point above the centers? I believe this would be like a Mini-Dogic if my guesses are correct. Although I am not sure if the term "mini-dogic" could be accuratly used since this puzzle will be an octahedron (i think).

Also I came up with the idea of building up the pieces 1cm or so from the center. This would form a 28 sided puzzle (Icosikaioctahedron), but that might be pushing it a tag to far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:45 am 

Do you mean something like this
http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/newpage11.htm

Thats how it comes across to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:12 am 

No, that puzzle doesn't truncate the corners. I want my puzzle to be built like the Master Cuboctahedron, but to have the truncations extend upwards over the centers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:44 pm 

If you were to take the Master Cuboctohedron and build on on the centers and round thier bases, then you would have an 8 sided "Mini-Dogic". Is that what you're going for?

Edit: But those edges would pose a problem that way. You said to truncate it so much the edges were gone? Wouldn't that make the corners too small and perhaps brush the core? I dunno.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.