Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Polyurethane users
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:22 pm 

Guys, what brand, make of Polyurethane are some of you casting with?

Any Por-A-Kast 2 users?

Post subject: Por-a-Kast
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:27 pm 

I have Por-a-Kast 15 and will be trying that. It has a longer demold Time and curing Time but that works well enough for me and my inexperience working with polyurethanes.

I haven't actually used it yet, but that has mainly to do with ruining my first working batch of molds, hence nothing to cast. Not to mention I'm busy right now shaping pieces for a Fisher's Cube. I'll be molding those very soon.

Post subject: what r u making? Selling any? Please
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:10 am 

So what are you guys going to be making and are you going to sell any? I hope!

Post subject: You...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:35 am 

Darren, you are the most enthusiastic shopper. My realtor would love you!

Post subject: Oh yea, the mold stuff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:27 pm 

I'm using Pour-a-Mold 333, obviously from the same company.

I'm wondering now if maybe I should have gone with a different molding resin. As for the PAK, I'll probably end up switching to PAK 2 once I'm more comfortable with the process and don't require the longer set Times. I'll probably get tired of waiting for the pieces and end up switching to it anyway.

Post subject: I'm very addicted 2 rubik's/puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:05 pm 

I go to ebay everyday and look for puzzles that I need (or want). Is your realtor at all on line and what does he sell? So are you going to be making puzzles to? What kind of puzzles? If you are may I be the first buyer please. I'm very serious. I love rubik's/puzzles to collection and do.

Post subject: Smooth-on
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:40 am 
I've found the resins from Smooth-on to work quite well. They have a material called Smooth-Cast 325 colormatch that produces very vivid colors when mixed with their coloring system. They also have a full line of silicones and other rubbers and resins. They're on the web at smooth-on.com

Post subject: Re: You...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:35 am 

my realator (my parents realator) would have already sold him 50 houses

Post subject: Project plans
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:05 pm 

1. Fisher Cube
2. Order 4 Pyraminx
3. ???

1. Need I say more? I've always wanted a Fisher Cube but contacting Tony Fisher can be difficult and he is either swamped with work now or is no longer actively making puzzles so why not, I'll make my own. So far I've finished molding the necessary pieces for the pointed edges and the pointed centers. For the truncated corners and truncated edges I can use my sacrificed Octagon for the molds. All I need to do now is match the pieces so they line up perfectly. While I could make a single Fisher Cube in this manner, it seems like an awful waste of effort just to make one, hence the need for molding. I have several blank cubes on order so we'll see what happens.

2. I sacrificed a FAKE Pyraminx for the purpose of prototyping an Order 4 Pyraminx. One of my hurdles was the center hub but I think an appropriately sized Delrin ball bearing with strategically drilled holes will suffice. I'll probably start doing some serious parts prototyping tonight assuming a friend of mine doesn't call me and ask me to help him install speakers in his car which takes up the whole night, like last night. Same deal, it would seem like an awful waste to make all of these preparations and only create one for myself.

Any I do put on sale though probably won't be cheap yet I don't plan on making any profit on these, strictly as a way to "share the love" with fellow enthusiasts.

Post subject: Well some stuff...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:45 pm 

Things in the pipeline but you know how I have a tendancy to take ages with something.