Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Higher order Pyraminx/cube
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:25 am 
I posted earlyer saying that a higer order pyramix was posible, and went on to say that all higer orders are posible. This got a few responses but I forgot I had made the post and did not check back. So I will try to respond to them now. The one question was am I saying this on faith or am I certain, well a bit of both, I know, as many have pointed out, with certanty that an order 4 pyraminx is posible and I am fairly sure that a very simple system I thought up will alow all higher orders, atleast the odd ones, within reason to be created. Do I know this for certain? No, I do not have the skills required to prototype it.
This system stems for one that I came up with trying to think of how to make a higher order cube, which I belive will work for all odd cubes and all even ones of order 6 or higher, once again I lack the skills to prototype it, although I am talking to a friend of mine about simulating it on computer to see if it has any flaws. I would like to apologize if I made anyone feel I was condisending because I said something was posible that they think is not, I do not know one way or the other but I can say with almost absolute certanty that a higher order cube is possible and with this system and without much less certainty that a higer order pryamix is too. I am not totaly certain and I may have spoken too soon but I certainly belive what I said.
As for what my system is, I would rather not tell at this point, because if it does work I would like to patent it and produce it someday, and if it doesn't I would rather not make a complete fool of myself by presenting a flawed system. So I plan on waiting at at least until I have tested it, on computer if i can't do it in reality, before I tell everyone about it. And then, if it works, I guess I will take it on faith that you guys won't go making things with it and selling them with out my permision.
If you want to know more about what my system would be like without blueprints and a big sign saying, "This is how you make it" ask and I will tell you the basics, but remember I was over zelous when I spoke before, this is untested and therefore it is uncertain weither or not it works. I can tell you it works fine in theory but that doesn't really matter if the finished product doesn't.

If you want a quick response it might be best if you email me because I tend to forget to check back. I checked the "send responses to my email" thing but that didn't work last time.

Post subject: Have a look at this
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:34 pm 

http://nauka.relis.ru/cgi/nauka.pl?53+0102+53102104+HTML

On the photo with the girl there are shelves with puzzles. On the third shelf down there is this hugher order pyraminx. It looks pretty real. In the article it says that she has been collecting puzzles for years+likes making shapes out of paper.

What do you think?

Vadim

Post subject: i cant tell
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:05 pm 

I really cant tell
it seems that the light in the picture covers what we want to justify as being a cube, and not paper.

êàê äèëà?
what better time to practice my russian

Post subject: my 6x6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:25 am 

I have devised plans for a 6x6. mathematically, they work. how could i punch them into a computer, to check them for flaws?

Post subject: It's possible.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:38 am 

After some discussion with a fellow list member, it became very obvious to me that a higher order puzzle is very possible. In my case I am hot on the trail of an order 4 pyraminx with the possibility of at least 2 different working mechanisms. Simplicity seems to be the best approach.

In any case I am waiting for some materials to show up so I can start prototyping this.

Post subject: Sure looks like one,
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:17 pm 

but what I'd like to find out is why production of the puzzle stopped. Other than hearing that there was some flaw in the mechanism from an archived post, not much else is known about it other than this picture and the one in the Virtual Puzzle Museum. I'm sure it exists, but does it WORK is my question. If so, why was production stopped. Lots of questions, not enough answers.

Post subject: Hmmm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:42 am 

well, my russian isnt good. but it looks like it says the fantastic dodecahedrons in the title.

Post subject: Production of pyramid
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:17 pm 

I'm afraid the production was not based on the popularity of the puzzle. Soviet economy never worked like anywhere else. They always produced limited amounts things that did not proclaim the Greatness of CCCP. So it's nothing to do with puzzle working or not.
I hope that makes sence.

Tyler, you nearly got the title right. It says: "Fantasies with Dodecahedron" and is about her hobby making these things.
Äåëà ó ìåíÿ õîðîøî.

Vadim