Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Milliput recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:40 pm 

I rang an art shop here in Limerick, Ireland, and asked, "Do you sell a product called 'Milliput'?" to which she replied, "Yes we do."

I nearly fell off my chair. As some of you know I have great difficulty buying anything slightly out the mainstream interest of general society.

But anyway, I got a small slab of the stuff just before Christmas and I thoroughly recommend it. Of course, I don't intend to use it to create whole puzzles, that would be crazy business.

A small slab should only cost around $US5 dollars or around $AUS8, £4.75 Irish punt here. I bought the grey version but you can get the white bleached version for a few dollars more.

Using an octagonal prism 3x3x3 as a reference, and using a cheap clone edge, I built a fisher cube edge. I'm pretty happy with it. It took two days of really fine sanding to get it perfect.

As I said, I wouldn't use the product to make every piece but I will be using it to build casting masters. It is VERY EASY to sand and work with. Anyone who has ever worked with clay will be happy with this stuff. It works with water, producing slip in a similar fashion. Sanding produces an incredibly smooth surface.

The product itself is a two part epoxy putty and hardens within 3 hours or much sooner under heat. It won't snap like clay so you can work it to death.

Anyway, I recommend it to anyone wanting to start creating. I've given Das-pronto clay the flick.