Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle Building questions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:22 pm 

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I got a Dremel for Christmas!!!! Now I can retire my hacksaw from cutting puzzles (WOOT!!!).

Just a couple of questions for the experts.....

1 Is a Trick Haus a build up or a cut down mod?
2 Is a Master Pyramorphix a build up of a Half-Trunc cube or do the cuts go into the center pieces?
3 What do you Lady and Gentlemen use to hold the pieces being worked on? I thought a little vise or clamp would be very helpful.

Thanks, I'm very eager to roll, but I know patience pays huge dividends.

-mike grimsley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:13 pm 

dremels are great mod tools. nuff said.

to answer your questions
1. I believe that the trick haus is a truncation of a 2x2x2
2. I know for a fact that the mastermorphix is a build up of a half-trunc (I have made one myself)
3. I just use my fingers. I have tried using clamps, pliers, vices, and nothing gave me the flexability to work with and/or the stability to work with the pieces as my own fingers. However, this resulted in a few minor accidents :wink:

in the patience department, I too am very low. my mastermorphix took me a good 2 months. my 2x2x3 took me a good few weeks, and my sphereical square 1 is almost done....there are countless more I haven't mentioned mostly because they aren't even close to being finished. I don't understand how people like Tony Fisher, Anthony Greenhill, Carter, all you guys, how they do it without being driven insane a month into working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:14 pm 

Regarding the Trick Haus, it's a real puzzle and not a mod. It's been produced in East Germany along with the Figurenmatch (pyramorphix), and the Stern puzzles. All of them share the same kernel, from what I could see myself. It believe that the Okki puzzle has the same kernel as well, and was produced together with the above puzzles.

--
Aleksey

Last edited by Aleksey on Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:25 pm 

alexsey, you are right about all your statements. I have also seen puzzle mod-ers make the trick haus from a giant 2x2x2 (the rubik's type). I was thinking about making one of those after I finish up the sphere-1, but I just don't know if I have time. If anyone has one for trade, I'd love to negotiate.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:06 am 

Quinn,

A spherical Square 1 ???!! :shock:

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, perchance? (Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.) It's a diabolical idea, and I'd love to see it. I have enough trouble with that puzzle as a cube, nevermind a sphere. I'm trying to imagine what the pieces look like, and as my modding skills are virtually nonexistant I can't really get my mind around how you'd turn it into a sphere withoug just filling the pieces with milliput and taking a grinder to it.

Anyway, it's a brilliant idea, and I hope that we'll at least get to see some pictures once it's finished.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:26 am 

Thanks for the replies so soon everyone. I know that Trick Haus was a production puzzle at one time, but it is a mod of a 2x2x2 puzzle. I'm just not sure you can cut into it without messing up the innards. I'm not sure but I think you have to build it up. I would prefer to hack the corners off but I would hate to learn that it doesn't work after the fact.

bhendry,

I just noticed that you're from Boulder. I lived in Arvada since 1981 and I just moved here to Oakland last February; Far Out! Maybe next time I go visit the family, I can look you up and we can go throw stuff at the Nederlanders that are waiting at the bottom of the canyon trying to hitch a ride :wink:

Post subject: Re: Puzzle Building questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:39 am 

skeneegee wrote:
1 Is a Trick Haus a build up or a cut down mod?
2 Is a Master Pyramorphix a build up of a Half-Trunc cube or do the cuts go into the center pieces?
3 What do you Lady and Gentlemen use to hold the pieces being worked on? I thought a little vise or clamp would be very helpful.

1. You can accomplish a pseudo-Trick Haus by either removal or addition to an existing 2x2x2. However if you want a dimensionally perfect "cube" you must both truncate AND build up. Turn the puzzle exactly 45 degrees and look at it from the top. The top cubies should mirror the bottom shape exactly when looking down. When you've finished the top ones, then align the puzzle again as if you're going to perform a slice and then flip the puzzle over and make the top layer again match the new modded bottom.

2. The center cubelet does not get cut. However several edge pieces will be deeply truncated as well as several corners.

3. I use my vice-like grip. :wink: Seriously, the thumb and index finger developed a pretty good grip from holding pieces with that hand for so long. As an alternative I have used a small pair of vice grip pliers and some rubber pads to prevent marring. Spring loaded clamps don't do you any good because they just won't hold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:29 am 

Actually Mike, if you can hold off another day or two on making that Trick Haus, I was actually working on an article for my website on the nuances of modding the Super 2x2x2. It's probably overkill but what the heck I said to myself, I've managed to destroy around 25-30 super 2x2x2s making other puzzles so I might as well write down everything I know about working with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:59 pm 

Here are jpegs of my Mastermorphix pieces that I have had printed on a 3D printer... If you start with a half trunc cube you should be able to "see" the MM just waiting to be made... The problem I had was with the center pieces... I didn't want the hole for the attaching screw to mess up the shape of the piece so I came up with (IMO) a neat workaround... (can you figure out what I did? :wink:

_pink

Attachments:
File comment: Assembly of one layer as seen from the inside.
Mastermorphix.jpg
Mastermorphix.jpg [ 19.75 KiB | Viewed 1533 times ]
File comment: A build-up of what I call the "prism" edge used in the Octagonal prism mod of a 3x3x3. A build-up of a truncation!
Edge_Mastermorph.jpg
Edge_Mastermorph.jpg [ 20.71 KiB | Viewed 1532 times ]
File comment: Common piece used in 3x3x3 mods like the Pillow. A pure truncation.
Corner_Triangle.jpg
Corner_Triangle.jpg [ 19.63 KiB | Viewed 1532 times ]
File comment: An extreme piece build-up. This guy is quite large
Corner_Mastermorph.jpg
Corner_Mastermorph.jpg [ 20.69 KiB | Viewed 1533 times ]
File comment: Another build-up
Center_Mastermorph.jpg
Center_Mastermorph.jpg [ 18.73 KiB | Viewed 1536 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:30 pm 

skeneegee wrote:

I got myself a $20 clamp from the hardware store. It clamps easily onto the table/counter top and has a wide enough "maw" (whatever) to fit almost any twisty complete. I just masking taped some cardboard onto the vice to protect the puzzle from its metal.

It made the rough truncating of the Master Cuboctahedron and Octaminx a snap. I just drew on my guide lines, taped up the puzzle tight, clamped it in, and chewed away the plastic a face at a time with some rough wood files.

The Dremel you mentioned is a great tool. It's well worth the price for any puzzle builder. BTW, if you find any way to use it to polish plastic pieces without burning them, please let me know how! The little white frabric polishing bits included in my set don't work well at all.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:42 pm 

Sandy wrote:
BTW, if you find any way to use it to polish plastic pieces without burning them, please let me know how! The little white frabric polishing bits included in my set don't work well at all.

I believe that the speed of the dremel on it's slowest setting is still prolly too much for polishing plastics... plastics low melting temp dosen't work well with power tools... grin and bear it, elbow grease and many different grits of sandpaper... I usually end up finishing with 400 grit and then steel wool... sorry to spoil yer quest... :twisted:

_pink