Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Sculp question (Actually a language problem...)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:45 am 

Hi,

I've just decided to use Magic Sculp for modelling puzzles. On the Magic Sculp website they say it's possible to mix with epoxy resin pigment. Here starts my problem: What's the german synonym for epoxy resin pigment? I cannot find a seller in Germany. Google was no help here.
Second question: Has someone experience in mixing Magic Sculp with any pigment or color?
Or should I forget the whole plan and paint my pieces?

Thanks in advance,
Markus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:14 am 

I would paint the pieces. I bought some artist's pigment for exactly this purpose, and had the nasty discovery that the stuff is truely evil to work with. Basically, it's like colored dust. It's extremely exspensive, and it takes a lot of it to get the Magic Sculp sufficiently black. It's impossible to keep it from getting into your clothes, and all over everything you're working with. I was also not really comfortable working with it without a good filtration mask (I don't want to breathe black dye!).

In short, it's a LOT of trouble, and the rewards aren't worth it. I understand that black milliput is wonderful stuff, and can be bought directly from the manufacturer, but I haven't tried this.

I hope that this is helpful!

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:28 pm 

I just did a puzzle with a combination of Black Milliput (contains black pigment) and Magic Sculp. It is hard to explain, but I had some surfaces that were 100% Black Milliput, and others that were 100% white Magic Sculp. I remembered a post here that recommended using Marks-a-Lot to "paint" the surface. I tried that, and then coated the surface with clear fingernail enamel. It was impossible to tell the difference.

My recommendation is to use plain Magic Sculp with black Marks-a-Lot. If you want a really authentic surface, put a couple of coats of clear fingernail enamel, and then "polish" with 0000 steel wool for a great matte finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:16 am 

I have no idea, what "epoxy resin pigment" means but as the others I recommend to paint the pieces. I once blackened the epoxy with coal dust. It worked but parts of my room were blackened too. :x
My preferred method is now a simple Edding pen. In most cases that will do it since the pieces will be covered with some sort of stickers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:47 am 

I will follow your advice and paint my pieces. Especially the dirt-effect changed my mind. Since I work in the living room and I want to keep married it seems no good idea to cover the whole room with some sort of black pigment...

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Markus

PS.: I will show the results here, if there are any :wink: