Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3x3x3 into a 4x4x4...Can it be done?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:20 am 

Is it possible to transform a standard 3x3 into a 4x4 using only 3x3 parts? I would assume the only time anyone would have even wanted to do such a thing was after the 3x3 came out and before the 4x4 was introduced. Today the idea of spending a lot of time and effort making a 4x4 out of a 3x3 when you could just buy one is probably a waste. However, I have a project in mind and if anyone knows if its possible and how it could be built, any information would be helpful. I figure it shouldn't be impossible with some of the amazing mods people have made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:43 am 

While I'm far from the greatest puzzle builder in the world, I think it might be possible using a method similar to the one here.

I don't know if that meets your criteria, but I think it might work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:49 pm 

I believe that the eastsheen 4x4x4 mechanism uses a 3x3x3 style mechanism inside. The four inner cubes of the 4x4x4 overlap the center square portion of the 3x3x3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:09 am 

Jin H Kim wrote:
I believe that the eastsheen 4x4x4 mechanism uses a 3x3x3 style mechanism inside. The four inner cubes of the 4x4x4 overlap the center square portion of the 3x3x3.

The Eastsheen 4x4x4 is just like their 5x5x5 internally, but with some pieces reduced to the barest minimum (which makes assembly quite fiddly). The face centres of the 4x4x4 are extensions to the pieces diagonally adjacent to the 5x5x5 face centres, which they overlap.

It is an interesting way to do the 4x4x4, but there are a lot of hidden moving parts, so it wouldn't get my vote for elegance.