Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Most sought after mod's
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:28 pm 

Heya!

I was just wondering... what are the mod's that are on the top of all of your lists to acquire?

just curious as always,
_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:41 pm 

thats a tough one.....

I cant decide between Pyracue, a Golden Cube, and a Master Pyramorphix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:42 pm 

Question #2: If these mod's were produced with the same quality as the orig Rubik's Cube, what would you pay for them? :wink:

I know I've paid good $$ for crappier productions... :x

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:27 pm 

I'm kind of a cheapskate when it comes to buying puzzles. The Dogics I ordered from Mefferts are the most expensive so far, and second is Megaminx/Jackpot at $26 As much as I love them all, I don't think they should be so expensive. Although I understand why mods are pricey, I wish they weren't.

I would probably pay $200 max for a Golden cube, thats why I'll probably never own one unless I try to make my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:01 pm 

I understand completely Mike. I'd like to see the Mastermorphix too or a Trajber's Octahedron.... Tony Fisher's mods would be high on my list as would 3D Reconstruction Studio's works...

I've dropped some cash on some pretty rare production puzzles before but I've never bought any hand-made specimens... I've always just made my own. Was just wondering others thought about this... What has been the 'general quality' of what you bought...

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:48 pm 

The master skewb, as made by 3d reconstruction studio, hands down.

Of course, whether that's a mod or a different puzzle could be debated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:23 pm 

Haven't seen the mech for the master skewb... but my first guess would be.... possible mod... 8-)

could I be any more wishy-washy? :wink:

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:39 pm 

There's a 'relatively' straghtforward mod construction of the master skewb in which the square pieces not on face centers are held down by the face centers and corners, and the centers of edges are held down by those pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:23 pm 

Is there any further explanation posted somewhere on it's construction? Or can you provide picts for us?

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:08 pm 

This basically diagrams it. Red is the interior puzzle to be modded, green is the layer above it, and blue is the layer above that. The triangles and squares in the green layer are glued to the pieces below, the other pieces are new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:20 pm 

Ok, I'm starting to see it now...

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:38 am 

No need for a Traijbers Octahedron. I built that thing by mayself. I wish to get my hands on some of Fisher's Cuboids. Especially the 3x4x5. How much would I pay? No idea. No more than 100$/EUR. Seems like I have to wait a few years...

Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:19 am 

I'd rather like a Pyraminx Crystal: could be done as a build-up from the Megaminx -- a lot of pieces to make, but their design is straightforward, I think. And it would be significantly more interesting than the Megaminx to solve.

Has anyone here tried this as a mod?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:10 am 

Mike G wrote:
I'd rather like a Pyraminx Crystal: could be done as a build-up from the Megaminx -- a lot of pieces to make, but their design is straightforward, I think. And it would be significantly more interesting than the Megaminx to solve.
Has anyone here tried this as a mod?

I have not tried it because I don't see what makes their design straightforward. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me!
Besides that: I would like to put my hands on a Pyraminx Crystal, too. More than on a 3x4x5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:40 am 

entor_perdia wrote:
Am I missing something? Please enlighten me!

Oh, I may be the one who has missed something... but here goes:

Grind down the megaminx to make a sphere (this seems to be OK with low technology: Juergen Brandt has done this?) The idea is to provide a surface for the 30 extra edge pieces to slide over.

The corner pieces of the megaminx would be extended so that "triangular" points extend over the surface of the sphere, meeting over the centres of the old megaminx faces. These additions would be undercut slightly so that the 30 new edge pieces could be retained by lugs on their inner (sphere) side, a bit like the faces of a skewb (but narrower, of course).

Note that these lugs on the "sphere" side of the edges wouldn't extend to the tips of the edges, where they meet the tips of the corner extensions. In fact, the edge pieces would have to be undercut near their tips, so that the lugs on other edges could pass under the tips when a face is turned.

So only 2 new kinds of piece would have to be designed: the extensions to the old megaminx corners and the new edges.

Although I am not (seriously) thinking about doing any of this hard work, do let me know if you think it would fall down somewhere!

Less interestingly (but more easily), you could make a smoothly turning icosahedron -- an improved impossiball -- again by turning a megaminx into a sphere and extending its corners. (In fact, it would not be strictly necessary to "sphericize" the megaminx in that case.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:20 pm 

I think Mike's getting at something like this where the red is the inner puzzle, the green is the next layer up, and blue is the layer above that. The triangles in the red layer are glued to the blue layer, and otherwise those two aren't connected. Corresponding pieces in the green and blue layers are glued together, and the very small pentagons and hexagons in the green layer can be left out entirely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:38 am 

Uff...
Thanks Mike.G for the explanation but I think, I will stay with my collection of every possible Extended Cube. At least for a while...

Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:16 am 

Bram wrote:
I think Mike's getting at something like this

Thanks, Bram -- that's exactly what I meant. It doesn't look too bad if you restrict your attention to the shapes of the parts that cannot be left out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:37 pm 

that program is pretty cool

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:33 pm 

_pink wrote:
I was just wondering... what are the mod's that are on the top of all of your lists to acquire?

I started going through the list, and it got HUGE fast. I'm better of saying I want them all. If I have to choose a few to satisfy your question, I'll go with a few of the classics: Fisher's Cube, Mastermorphix, Mental Block, Trajber's Octahedron.

_pink wrote:
Question #2: If these mod's were produced with the same quality as the orig Rubik's Cube, what would you pay for them?

I don't mind paying good money for good builds. It's when I pay good money for bad builds that really ticks me off. (I've spent at least $200 in garbage builds to date. If you're curious, none of the duds were built by regular contributors to the forum, but that's about all I care to say.)

Basically my answer to the question is: I expect to be charged for the time and materials involved in making the item, plus a "builder's profit" of somewhere around 25%. If it's a cheap build, I expect a similarly cheap price. If it's a high quality build, I expect to pay considerably more. If the builder makes no profit off the sale, there is no extra incentive to start on a new project, meaning we all lose.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:35 pm 

Sandy,

I'm working feverishly to quell your desires for mods... Of the 4 you listed I will be able to take care of 3 when the 3x3x3 MPS is complete... The Mental block should be modeled soon as I have modeled the Skewb and am starting on the mods for it... 8-)

_pink