Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My half-truncated 2x2x2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:05 pm 

I just finished my first modified puzzle using milliput and decided to start with something small to get used to using the putty. I had searched the database and most of the past posts and I didn't see any mention of a half-truncated 2x2x2. So, I went ahead and made one. :D Granted, there is really no additional puzzle solving challenge, but it's a nice variation of the 2x2x2, I think. My next task is a half-truncated 3x3x3, so if anyone has any suggestions as to how I might improve my work, your thoughts are welcome. :D

Attachments:
half_trunc_solved.jpg
half_trunc_solved.jpg [ 40.99 KiB | Viewed 2075 times ]
half_trunc_mix1.jpg
half_trunc_mix1.jpg [ 42.39 KiB | Viewed 2075 times ]
half_trunc_mix2.jpg
half_trunc_mix2.jpg [ 40.64 KiB | Viewed 2075 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:12 pm 

I have never seen this modification before. Simple and a good variation. Nice Job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:24 pm 

Looks excellent, very creative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:44 pm 

i was planning on making one of those but it looks like you beat me to it. Nice Job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:56 pm 

good idea, nice :!: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:34 pm 

That's quite cute. Nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:41 pm 

Thank you all for your kind words, especially Wayne, the creator of the half-truncated idea. That is a great compliment for me personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:12 am 

Awesome!
I started with 4x4x4. Will definitely work my way down to this beauty!
Great idea, Sean!
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:10 pm 

Sean

Good work - first transformation, keep up the good work.
Instead of stickers it looks like you’ve used some sort of material with thickness. Looks good. What did you use.
I thought you maybe interested to know that this shape was featured in an article titled ‘ Survey Of Cubic Transformations ‘ in Part 2 – Curious Cubism - of CFF 25 (Cubism For Fun) the Dutch Cube Club Newsletter. This was the silver edition published in December 1990. They were drawings of transformations rather than photos.
The shape was titled ‘ Pyracube ‘. There were versions made from the 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4 and Skewb.
Like Adam this is a transformation I have always been going make – a one from each type/size of cube as I find the shape very interesting. Mind you I have probably been going to make them since the article appeared but other transformations have always taken preference. One day they will happen.
Once again – keep transforming..

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:20 pm 

Quote:
Instead of stickers it looks like you’ve used some sort of material with thickness. Looks good. What did you use.

I used vinyl electrical tape, but since a couple of the colors were thin and didn't show the color well, I doubled them up which adds a very small degree of thickness. I think the photo shows that more than in person, however.

Quote:
I thought you maybe interested to know that this shape was featured in an article titled ‘ Survey Of Cubic Transformations ‘ in Part 2 – Curious Cubism - of CFF 25 (Cubism For Fun) the Dutch Cube Club Newsletter. This was the silver edition published in December 1990. They were drawings of transformations rather than photos.
The shape was titled ‘ Pyracube ‘. There were versions made from the 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4 and Skewb.

That's interesting information. I had no idea the shape of it stretches back 14 years. Wayne is still the creator of this transformation, right? Is there an archive where I could read the article and see the drawings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:29 pm 

i wonder if you can make an interesting puzzle if you make a 2x2x2 full truncated cube. it would turn back into a cube!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:33 pm 

Sean

The truncation to the Pyracube 3x3x3 as featured in the article is not as severe as Waynes. Waynes truncation goes right across to the corner of the centre piece whereas the one in the article is the same as that on a Cubo Octahedron leaving small triangles on the edge pieces.
This is obviously just a puzzle made up of part cube – part Cubo Octahedron
Personally I prefer Waynes version, it leads to a very good looking puzzle – this is another on my list of puzzles to make. This list is incredibly long.
The edge of the truncation for the 4x4x4 version in the article goes diagonally from centre line to centre line.
As for a archive site in order to obtain copy – don’t think so. You can obtain back issues (due to availability) from the club. Due to copyright I don’t think I could scan or copy it for you.

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:19 pm 

Adam wrote:
i wonder if you can make an interesting puzzle if you make a 2x2x2 full truncated cube. it would turn back into a cube!

are talking about a "trick haus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:53 am 

wow very nice maybe someday i can make a customized puzzle...but for now im too lazy

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69