Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rubik's 5x3 cube
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:55 am 

I appologize if the answer to my question is already widely known, but I need to ask so I know for myself. The rubiks 5x3 cube, as seen here:
https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lvl3.cfm?lan=eng&lvl1=produc&lvl2=rubbrn&lvl3=collec&lvl4=cub5x3
created by Duane Cash as a mass produced puzzle... is this puzzle (as well as his 4x3) a fully functioning 5x3 or just an extended 3x3? If it is only an extended puzzle, then why the expensive price and why is it out of stock? It doesnt seem to create any real puzzle solving challenge if its only extended, as I am currently making myself an extended 5x3 out of boredom. If it's a fully functioning puzzle, I would be far more interested in it (or how to make one myself for that matter). Can anyone fill me in?

Thank you for your time! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:19 am 

it is just an extended 3x3x3, it is NOT fully functioning. I don't know why the high price. Hessports buys them from D.Cash so I guess they have to have a certain markup on them. The 3x4 is the same thing, just an extended puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:00 pm 

Actually the price is somewhat reasonable. Consider that each 5x3 requires the modification of 8 corner cubies, 8 edge cubies, and two more possibly corner or edge cubies.

If the puzzle is really refined it would use 18 corner cubies per puzzle, minimizing the need for the glaringly open edge cubies. If that's the case that's enough for 2.25 cubes.

Regardless the labor Time involved would pretty easily justify the cost. If rubiks would just make the tooling instead of paying Duane of course they could sell them for cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:44 pm 

Quote:
Actually the price is somewhat reasonable. Consider that each 5x3 requires the modification of 8 corner cubies, 8 edge cubies, and two more possibly corner or edge cubies.

If the puzzle is really refined it would use 18 corner cubies per puzzle, minimizing the need for the glaringly open edge cubies. If that's the case that's enough for 2.25 cubes.

I guess you have a good point. I just finished making one myself and realized how many of my cubes I had to disassemble to make it. Instead of using all corner cubies for a nicer look, I just filled the edge peices with clear apoxy and it doesnt look to bad when its scrambled. Regardless, I imagine its quite a strain on D. Cash to handmake them all. I'm suprised with all the talented puzzle makers out there that Rubiks doesnt seek out others to handmake some amazing puzzles on a larger scale. Though I imagine with the complexity of some of those puzzles it would be a far greater strain to make so many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:23 pm 

I can't understand why there isn't a mass produced Master Pyramorphix. Especially with all the Rubik's Cube/Pyramorphix knock off's avaliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:51 am 

Doesn't a Master Pyramorphix require a lot more work? Carter, how long did it take to make yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:17 pm 

Dodd wrote:
Doesn't a Master Pyramorphix require a lot more work? Carter, how long did it take to make yours?

I'm talking about Meffert's (or anybody) making an injection molded version and selling them in a box. Look how many different (retail) shapes the 3x3x3 core is used for, sphere, cube, truncated corners, truncated edges, etc..... but master pyramorphix, which would be the coolest of them all, is nowhere to be seen. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:50 pm 

Tooling required for something that is considered a niche product at best. That's the problem with puzzles like the rubik's cube. if they can't be made cheaply enough to flood the market, then they'll typically go out of business eventually.