Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I want to build a babyface cube 3x3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:04 pm 

I want to get into modding and decided I should start with a pretty easy modification.

I originally wanted to do a 4x4, but the only crazy 4x4 to allow me to do that is stickerless and costs a lot to experiment with. Maybe in the future I'll turn it into a 4x4 babyface plus if I feel confident enough after this mod.

So I'm going to use the MF8+Dayan crazy 3x3 and for the plastic sheeting, I found a site that sells color plastic (acrylic) sheets. I can get them cut to size, which would cost a lot, but I can get sample sizes of each color that will give me plenty of excess acrylic. It's about 2 dollars for one colored sheet that 4 inches by 4 inches.

Right now I'm deciding if I should order the transparent colored sheets or the opaque sheets. My concern is seeing the circles underneath and how it will look on a black cube. I will be supergluing the acrylic pieces I'm going to cut out myself to. Maybe I should also use a different kind of glue so you won't be able to see it? I'm going to get them at 1/8'' (3.175mm) thick, so maybe that'd be thick enough to catch some light and look really nice? Other than that, I'd think it'd look pretty with transparent colored pieces for the faces.

Also for the colors, I have the standard colors except white, which will be clear.

Anyone have any input?

Also, as I go about starting this I try will use this thread to show off any progress I remember to document.

Post subject: Re: I want to build a babyface cube 3x3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:46 pm 

Well, I bought the acrylic and it arrived in the mail today, the cube came yesterday. My only concern is the red and the green are very dark, but putting them up to the black cube they are distinguishable, which is good. The other colors are pretty light and look really nice, so maybe the two dark colors will help give it some nice contrast. Here's what I've done so far:

Attachment:
stickerless acrylic.jpg
stickerless acrylic.jpg [ 84.94 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]

I've solved the cube a few times prior to de-stickering it to see if it'd be a puzzle I'd like to purchase another of to add to my collection. However, it wasn't very difficult and not much more fun than a standard 3x3, so I have no real desire to replace it. Also, besides de-stickering it, I removed some of the pieces that locked some of the circles so they all can move freely, now. Needs a little set-up or maybe I should purchase another one to make it more stable. Some of the circles move great, some of them are hard to turn and you can feel the outside edges being pushed outward mid-turn. The easy to turn ones I have no problem with the edges, or any of the pieces for that matter. I have no clue as to what is causing it. Any advice here would be much, much appreciated. :D

Also, I found a glass company that is willing to cut the acrylic for me. The guy said it was 5 dollars a cut, but I'm gonna need lots of cuts, so hopefully when he sees what I want we'll be able to come to an agreement or maybe he can cut multiple at a time. If we can't come to an agreement on a price we're both happy with I'll just have to get one of those acrylic knives and meticulously cut it myself.

Also, I got the acrylic from TAP Plastics and I just ordered the cast transparent acrylic in 5 colors plus a clear one, and it was 2 dollars a square because I bought the 4 inch samples. Otherwise it would have been more expensive, even for a smaller square. It's also nice to have more than I need in case I make a mistake or something.

Last edited by Pithecanthropus on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm 

I am looking forward to see how this works out, I've never seen someone use acrylic sheet for a mod to a cube like this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:21 pm 

this is a slight warning if you use see through acrillic then when you stick it on you will see glue marks through it so i recomend painting it plach and getting some stickers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12 pm 

Pithecanthropus wrote:
Some of the circles move great, some of them are hard to turn and you can feel the outside edges being pushed outward mid-turn. The easy to turn ones I have no problem with the edges, or any of the pieces for that matter. I have no clue as to what is causing it. Any advice here would be much, much appreciated. :D

Okay, I figured out this problem. It's actually from the centers for the circles that were able to turn before any modding. They have a square stalk and the corners cause the edges to pop out when the hypotenuse is a straight line between them. I just need to get some sand paper and sand them to a round shape. No wonder it was so difficult to turn those sides when I was playing with it. A bunch of the stickers were starting to rub right off. The looser the more it catches, and the tighter the harder it is it even activate the turn, which is difficult enough when there was no edge to pull on. If I were able to get more of these square centers without having to buy a new cube, I would use that, but right now it'll be easier to just remove the plastic.

If all goes according to plan this thing should be together some time this week. Thankfully it's not too labor intensive of a mod, so it could potentially be done tomorrow night!

Naz wrote:
this is a slight warning if you use see through acrillic then when you stick it on you will see glue marks through it so i recomend painting it plach and getting some stickers

This was my concern, but since no one gave me any input until AFTER I bought the acrylic I just decided to stop caring about that and just see this project through, whether it turns out as nice as I hope it to be or not. And if it turns out nice and the glue/seeing the pieces underneath ruin it I'll just buy the same colored stickers and put them on the back of each piece if I decide it's worth doing this again in the future. :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 pm 

Why not paint the underside of the clear acrylic black and leave the top unstickered? Then glue and no visible glue?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:44 pm 

I want to try and leave the acrylic see through or I could have easily have just gotten opaque colors. Doing some reasearch, there are acrylic adhesives that dry clear. Looking up Weld On 16, it seems to be perfect. I'll see if they have that when I go and buy sandpaper and look at adhesives at Home Depot. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow for that.

EDIT
Also, I found some pieces to that that broken 3x4x5 I recently got and it'll be perfect for using the excess acrylic to test out adhesives.