Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Super Crazy 3x3x5 Earth
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:18 pm 

Don't know how this has not been done before, but, here is a mod of a Crazy planet with extensions.
It looks a lot like the recent Calvin puzzles of course but preserves the normal inner circle movements of the MF8 puzzle.
This is an Earth variant (my favourite) with extensions top and bottom to make it a 3x3x5.
So white and green are normal and all other faces are bandaged.

Here it is after a couple of turns of one bandaged and one un-bandaged face...

...and then (with mid turn) an Edge Piece Swap move...

...checker board and "cuboid" scramble...

...and full scramble...

The extensions are glued together cubies from an MF8 "two face" puzzle, which are then glued to the inner centre corners and edges of the white and yellow faces.
It is a super cube, as each piece I have added is stickered, so it adds flavour to the solve.
Also, you can see black faces appear from underneath the extended cubies. This leads to some
confusion in the solve as stickered faces disappear beneath extensions and you have to go finding
the right pieces!

Simple little project and adds great fun to the experience of crazy planets.

I am going to try the option whereby I split the cubies so that the edges and corners are separate next..

P.S. These extra pieces also work with the Burgo kit! So I can add pink bits to this and make it even more wierd!

Post subject: Re: Super Crazy 3x3x5 Earth
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:49 pm 

Nice mod, it looks very impressive. It's amazing how people can think "why has this not been done before, it's so obvious" when the reason it has not been dome before is because it is not so obvious"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:49 pm 

Cool.

Basically, the `outer babyface circle layers` are glued together, right? They are extensions of the inner circle components.. you can't turn them. So it's an Earth puzzle, with 2x `super faces`.. and some parity issues due to unstickered pieces.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:25 am 

That's right Burgo. Very simple. I will be cutting up some cubies today for the other version. That is the inner pieces will be glued to the inners and the outer pieces will be glued to the outers of the layer below. This would show the bandaging on the outside of every face then. I am expecting pieces to catch everywhere though.

I have only experienced the normal edge parity so far - and use your excellent alg to fix it!
I have noticed that, when placing corners though, I almost always get 2 corners left. That is, it conspires to leave 2 corners after placing as many as possible in the yellow and white layers. I have to check it is going to happen, then false swap a couple of corners to make the evenness odd.

I just had a thought that solving it as a cuboid (i.e. ignore the inner centres) would be an interesting twist on cuboids as only 180 turns and edge splitting would be fun! I will try that out later.

Then - just maybe - a pink piece 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:48 am 

Really great stuff, oxy :) Looks like a beautiful finish.
Quote:
P.S. These extra pieces also work with the Burgo kit! So I can add pink bits to this and make it even more wierd!
I like it how you're becoming more like Burgo...
Hmmmm. How could I make this more difficult? :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:01 am 

Remember too, that bandaging `outer babyface blocks` is the equivalent of those small bandaged inner components on the B4. I've mentioned that a few times along the way too.. but I never really went there physically because it's already inherent in my kit.. and the stickers will get ripped up from all the underpassing. But.. it will add some `supering`.. however, Oliver has added a new sticker set to `super-up` Crazy Planets, so that would do the trick too, without the underpassing.. but that's the point of this, right.. the aesthetics :) . All those little stalks on the other version will look really spectacular.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:24 am 

@rline :oops: It's your kit too! And as for getting like Burgo... as soon as I add just one pink piece to my Earth, I cannot solve it! (Never liked pink :evil: )

I know that it is possible with the normal B4 kit, but the reason I made this is because I like cuboids and the sticky-out-bits (technical term) are cool. I love when pieces slide past each other in that impossible way!

I checked Oliver's site for crazy stickers but did not see them so went with Cubesmith this time. Now I know they are there...

Right. The weather here in Sweden has jumped 5-10 degrees warmer, so must go out and interact with the kids and make sure they have Mother's Day cards made before trekking out to the islands for the day!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:51 am 

What I mean is this (and here's its equivalent in the B4):
Attachment:
bandaging.jpg
bandaging.jpg [ 177.44 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

You should do that while you're at it, just because it would look cool with your puzzle.