Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shapeways now seems to want to enforce powder escape holes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm 

I had something interesting happen today. Back on Saturday I sold a Doctor Skewb through my Shapeways shop. Thank you very much by the way if you are reading this. I didn't know who the buyer was at the time, though I now have a Shapeways Forum ID name thanks to the below email. But today I got this email from Shapeways. I've edited out the buyer's ID as I don't know if he'd want to be identified.
Quote:
Hello wwwmwww,

After taking a closer look, we cannot print part of your customer’s order, placed on 03/01/2014, by <SNIP>.

We’ve credited your Shapeways customer for the following:

1 X Doctor Skewb 2of2 - $75.91

Materials Affected:

Black Strong & Flexible (Design Guidelines)
White Strong & Flexible (Design Guidelines)
While we've been able to print this model before, as we continue to produce the model we've noticed that it does not print successfully due to: Too Few Escape Holes

Despite our best efforts we've only been able to successfully print this model 83% of the time. To continue printing this model we need your help to resolve these issues:

In it’s current state, your product can’t be cleaned because it contains an inadequate escape hole. Consider adding at least one 4mm hole, or two 2mm holes to ensure that the remaining material can be removed from the model after printing. Then we can properly clean and ship it.

We want you to be successful, so we encourage you to:

Fix and update your design here: Doctor Skewb 2of2. This will ensure that you can continue to sell your product.
Let <SNIP> know you’re fixing the issue by sending them a message.
Your continued satisfaction is our top priority. If you have questions, or if we can improve your Shapeways experience in any way possible, please email us at: service@shapeways.com.

Kind regards,

The Shapeways Team
service@shapeways.com
This model has been printed many times without issue. I'll make the changes they request and I've already emailed the buyer which I believe as already gotten his credit as a few hours after this email I got another email from Shapeways with the subject "Yippee! You've sold models through your Shapeways Shop" and it turns out it was another Doctor Skewb 2of2 this time without the Doctor Skewb 1of2 ordered with it so I assume its the same buyer trying to complete his order.

Personally I'm not happy that Shapeways is doing this to this buyer. They've printed this model several times so its more then possible for them to print it as it is. Yes, they can let me know that I should make improvements so its easier for them to clean but it looks like they now have this buyer all confused.

I'll leave this model up in my shop till this one is printed and then I'll be uploaded a Doctor Skewb 2.0 model soon which will have these extra drain holes and be packed as a single model. So if anyone else wants to order a Doctor Skewb soon please hold off a week or two.

Now back to what this means... If you look at their Design Guidelines you'll see that it says:
Quote:
2.0 mm diameter when there is two or more escape holes
Required for products bigger than 50 × 50 × 50 mm
To this I'd counter that my Doctor Skewb edge piece is NOT 50 × 50 × 50 mm. I also notice they singled out the edge piece with the attached picture to their email.
Attachment:
SkewbEdge.JPG
SkewbEdge.JPG [ 19.17 KiB | Viewed 1868 times ]
But the X-Face ceters also have the exact same foot with the exact same single powder drain hole. So I'll change those too.

And what does this mean to those like Oskar that intentionally keep powder trapped in most of their models? Shapeways has never enforced this before and it wasn't that long ago that I ordered a Doctor Skewb myself. I wish they had complained then as I prefer to put myself though these issues then my customers. Its one of the main reasons why I make sure I've printed a copy of all my models BEFORE I open them for sale in my shop.

Just a little frustrated,
Carl

Post subject: Re: Shapeways now seems to want to enforce powder escape hol
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 pm 

Personally, I'd like to see Shapeways offer the option of waving the cleaning stage entirely. No doubt it takes a ton of manual labor to clean parts and I suspect it's one of the main reasons they lose parts.

Sometimes they do a great job cleaning parts and sometimes they do a terrible job. I'd rather have no expectation of cleaned parts than have models rejected because they can't be easily cleaned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:13 am 

Shapeways has recently introduced the function "print anyway" when you order, which enables to prevent the rejection of previously successfully printed models. Now I have to teach all my customers, including new ones that I do not know, to use this function. Not cool.

Carl, Brandon, make sure that you complain with service@shapeways.com every time that a model gets rejected. Make sure to explain that Shapeways is alienating customers by rejecting models that have been successfully printed before. They are a service-oriented company, so sooner or later they will recognize the pattern in the complaints.

Oskar

Last edited by Oskar on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:26 am 

Oskar wrote:
Shapeways has recently introduced the function "print anyway" when you order, which enables to prevent the rejection of previously successfully printed models. Now I have to teach all my customers, including new ones that I do not know, to use this function. Not cool.
Where does this function pop up? I haven't seen it myself. It looks to me like Shapeways just cancelled half the customer's order and issued a refund/credit. I don't even think its possible for me to correct this issue in a way that is transparent to the customer. I believe I need to upload a new model under a different name and then let the customer know to order that one with his credit/refund. If the customer doesn't (he hasn't replied to my PM yet) then I think he gets half a puzzle.

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:33 am 

Carl,

This pops up when you order a model. At some point in the buying process, there is a little "print anyway" link under the model name.

As written above, keep complaining to Shapeways and keep explaining to them that blindly rejecting customer orders is not good for business.

Whenever Shapeways makes an unjustified rejections (which happens a lot lately), I email them and ask them to undo the harm they did by rejecting the customer. Often it works, and the order is not lost.

Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 am 

I just sent this email to Shapeways. I'll let you know what they have to say. I agree... this can't be good for business.
Quote:
Hello Shapeways,

I've added more powder drain holes to this model and uploaded the new model here:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1758192/doctor-skewb-2of2-corrected.html

I've sent a PM through your site to the customer to let them know its available. But I believe the customer didn't understand why you cancelled his initial order. Moments after I got your email below I got another with the subject "Yippee! You've sold models through your Shapeways Shop" and the model just happened to be the same model you just rejected so I assume it was the same customer desperate to complete his order. The two models he had purchased go to the same puzzle so as it stands he appears to be set to receive half the parts he needs to assemble this puzzle.

You have printed this very model several times and I believe you should have gone ahead and printed it anyways. You then could have blocked any further orders and asked me to add more powder drain holes without disruption to any customers. I have no idea who this is. If it is someone outside the USA I don't know how good their English is and I suspect that if he just get's half a puzzle he won't be very happy and both you and I have lost a potential repeat customer that we could have very easily made a happy customer had we not started playing with his order.

I've posted about this issue here:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26974&start=0

I see mention of the fact that you now have a "print anyway" option. I have yet to notice this myself while placing an order. Was this customer given this option before you issued them a refund/credit and canceled half their order? Is it possible for you to undo this rejection? Or at the very least can you let me know if the copy of Doctor Skewb 2of2 that was ordered today was ordered by the same customer? If so and you are about to reject that one too can you PLEASE just print the model in my shop named Doctor Skewb 2of2 (corrected) as its the same model with more powder drain holes added.

Thanks,
Carl
I also pointed the customer to this thread. His Shapeway's ID doesn't match any TwistyPuzzle member IDs so I don't know if he is a member here or not. If he is and wants to share his perspective on this situation it would be welcomed.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:28 am 

Brandon Enright wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see Shapeways offer the option of waving the cleaning stage entirely.
I'd be happy with that option. Especially if they offered a small price reduction to go with it. But I won't want to force that option on all my customers. I have an air compressor so it usually makes cleaning the parts rather easy for me. I also know what to expect. I'd feel bad for the customer that opened his Shapeways shipment in his living room only to have a bunch of powder go everywhere and then have to deal with an angry wife afterwards.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Brandon Enright wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see Shapeways offer the option of waving the cleaning stage entirely.
I'd be happy with that option. Especially if they offered a small price reduction to go with it. But I won't want to force that option on all my customers. I have an air compressor so it usually makes cleaning the parts rather easy for me. I also know what to expect. I'd feel bad for the customer that opened his Shapeways shipment in his living room only to have a bunch of powder go everywhere and then have to deal with an angry wife afterwards.

Carl

I think they would increase the price with this option, because when shapeways clean the powder out of parts I'm pretty sure they reuse the powder. So if they send us the parts with all the powder in it we might as well be buying solid parts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:22 am 

JackRTully wrote:
I'm pretty sure they reuse the powder. So if they send us the parts with all the powder in it we might as well be buying solid parts.
Shapeways recycles some of the powder. However, the cleaning process leaves more powder than Shapeways can recycle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:38 am 

Although I agree this isn't a great user experience, I think "you've printed it successfully before" isn't a valid standard. They have shared their less-than-100% success rate and of course that means what you consider success has meant failure and cost for them already.

I would hope the conversation about model adjustments could be after satisfying the customer and before any future orders, but can understand that they may have a certain threshold of failure to reach before they contact you. If that happens while attempting to satisfy a customer order, I suppose we get this situation. Should they blindly keep printing if they are experiencing high failure, on the hope that past success will repeat itself (on their dime)?

Without knowing their inner workings I can't know if any of this line of thought is valid, but if I put myself in their shoes I can imagine these would be concerns I would have if my margins were slim.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 am 

This new Shapeways secondary checking of models was mentioned in this thread.

I too think that it is unfair to reject models that have already been printed - I think that they are trying to reduce the manual processing time for twisty puzzles (which are, admittedly, outside the SW get-out clause of "for decorative purposes only") in order to reduce costs. I suspect that preparing our types of many small hollow delicate parts for delivery is very time consuming and expensive for them.

Also, when I have added extra holes in a model as per their request, the pieces have been delivered with lots of powder still trapped inside (it was very compacted and hard to get out) so the extra holes did not seem to make any difference (and spoiled the "look" IMHO). In order to stop the powder from slowly leaking out, I had to seal all of the holes with a drop of superglue.

I wonder how SW know when all powder has been removed? I bet they don't compare the calculated weight from the stl model against the actual weight :lol: I suspect the parts are cleaned until the operator gets sick of doing it:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Although I agree this isn't a great user experience, I think "you've printed it successfully before" isn't a valid standard. They have shared their less-than-100% success rate and of course that means what you consider success has meant failure and cost for them already.

I would hope the conversation about model adjustments could be after satisfying the customer and before any future orders...
That was really all I asked for in my email to Shapeways above. Lock the model from future orders but do their best to keep the current customer happy. What happens if I'm on vacation and away from email for a week when something like this happens? Say I'd been hit by a bus on the way home last night and never had the opportunity to correct the model. It appears the end customer would have paid for and received the half that Shapeways hadn't complained about which would have been useless to them without the rest of the parts. Heck that may still happen. The customer still hasn't replied to any of my PMs nor has a copy of the new model I uploaded been ordered. Seeing as it appears they ordered a second copy of the rejected model, I'm guessing they may be waiting for Shapeways to reject that order too so they can use that credit/refund to purchase the corrected model.

Also I don't understand their 83% success rate mentioned here:
Quote:
Despite our best efforts we've only been able to successfully print this model 83% of the time. To continue printing this model we need your help to resolve these issues:

In it’s current state, your product can’t be cleaned because it contains an inadequate escape hole.
The lack or addition of powder drain holes should have no effect on the ability to print the part, only on the ability to clean the part, as they state just after the printing statement themselves. Am I to believe they are printing additional parts to replace the ones they are unable to get cleaned? Seeing how most of the parts I get still have powder in them I would doubt they are doing this. If they are why would they expect the re-printed part to be any easier to clean?

And without knowing specifics... I do know that in general the markup used by most vendors is at least 100%. I've seen cases where its much much higher then that. Here is one where the markup is 280,000%. So even if they have to print 17% of the parts twice I believe it would be in their best interest to keep a customer happy as they could easily turn into a repeat customer even if it makes a dent in their profit margin from this particular sale. Heck even if that was an issue, I'd prefer they give the option to the designer to pay for the re-prints out of the designers mark-up. My main goal as a designer selling through their site is to make the end customer as happy as possible. I simply have no way to contact this buyer directly aside from a PM though their site so if they don't respond to me and they do end up with just half a puzzle I don't know what I can do to correct that.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:58 am 

Gus wrote:
Also, when I have added extra holes in a model as per their request, the pieces have been delivered with lots of powder still trapped inside (it was very compacted and hard to get out) so the extra holes did not seem to make any difference (and spoiled the "look" IMHO).
I too don't like the look of holes in a finished puzzle. I do my very best to hide them at the base of the part so they can't be seen even during a turn. Though I'm running into cases (like my DoDep 3x3x3) where the holes I've added are too small or inaccessible to reasonably get all the powder out. Looks like I'll soon be using some visible Xmm by 1.75mm width slits like Brandon mentions in his thread here. The only other option I see would be to make the parts solid but I think that would raise the cost too much.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:22 am 

Carl,

I believe that you are trying to solve the wrong problem.

The problem is that Shapeways has started to reject puzzle models that are perfectly cleanble and seemingly steers us towards designing models that are poorly cleanable. Instead of pondering how we can best work around this new bug in the Shapeways system, we should keep complaining to Shapeways at every instance of the bug, until they fix he bug.

Getting more poorly cleanable puzzle models to our customers is not a road that I want to enter.

Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:45 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Getting more poorly cleanable puzzle models to our customers is not a road that I want to enter.
Understood. And I agree that permanently trapping the powder inside the parts should make things much easier to clean. However from my experience it causes other problems too. I've had issues dying parts with trapped powder that I haven't had with empty/hollow parts. And I believe Brandon has had issues with tumbling such parts as well and he's even drilled holes to remove the trapped powder. One option I've considered would be offering two models of each puzzle, one hollow with powder drain holes and one solid and then let the customer make the choice. You could also add the 3rd option of hollow but with trapped powder. But this makes it more expensive for the designer to test all the models. And my feeling is that many customers wouldn't have enough experience with what to expect to make a good choice anyways.

Not directly related to this but some of my puzzles can be difficult to assemble and/or require some time to break in. I've also worried in the past about customers that see one of my videos and then expect that out of the box. If they give up on putting it together, don't put it together correctly, or just don't break in the puzzle I could see a customer being very unhappy and if they didn't contact me I'd never know. That is part of the reason why I started this thread asking about etsy. I've wondered if it would make sense to only offer finished puzzles and that way you'd know exactly what the customer was getting. Its just that I'd never have the time to keep up if all my orders were to come in as requests for finished puzzles. And I also suspect a fair number of customers are familiar with what to expect from Shapeways and would be more then happy to finish the puzzle themselves. For example I've purchased some of your puzzles from Shapeways as I enjoy finishing them myself too and I know you have other things to do... like finishing the puzzle design of the week. ;)

I honestly don't know what the best solution is. An idea that just came to me would be to keep my shop on Shapeways but don't have the models available for purchase. I could then require all buyers to contact me for a link to a hidden model they could purchase. By going though me I could assess their experience with 3D printed puzzles to make sure they had the correct assumptions or I could offer to make them a finished puzzle. It would also allow me the ability to follow up after a purchase to make sure they were happy with the product they recieved and if not give me an oportunity to make it right, maybe let them ship it to me for assembly and breaking in if needed.

I have my own markup on my designs and I use what I make to help fund and test new designs. I'm far from actually making a profit but that isn't the main goal either as I enjoy what I do. Still, as I'm getting some funds from those that buy my puzzles I feel I owe it to them that they get what they want and have as good an experience as possible. Shapeways is making it very hard for me to do that at the moment. At the very least, I wish they'd give me a Shapeways user ID for all puzzles I sell... not just those they have an issue with. As I would really value being able to follow up with customers to make sure they were happy and to get their feedback.

So the statement that I'm trying to solve the wrong problem is certainly partially correct. Its just that I see several problems and this current situation was the straw that broke this cammel's back. I'd like to see them all solved. But as I dye my own puzzles and I have Brandon tumble many of them as well I don't really think we should be forced to trap the powder in the designs either. I'm just less sure where I stand on that one. From Shapeways perspective, what is their cost difference between producing a solid model and the same model hollowed but with the powder trapped inside? Both would need the same amount of powder. Is it just the extra electricity the laser uses sintering the extra nylon powder? If so I suspect this would cost Shapeways less money then the cost of manually cleaning the hollowed parts with drain holes. And I for one would be very happy with solid parts... its just that their current price structure highly encources me to hollow the parts.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:02 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
An idea that just came to me would be to keep my shop on Shapeways but don't have the models available for purchase. I could then require all buyers to contact me for a link to a hidden model they could purchase.
That does not work. Consumers do not read.

Customers of mine buy the model titled "Edges of Caution Cube" with a picture with big white-on-red texts "Caution edges only", and still complain that they get only edges and not a fully assembled puzzle. Another model is titled "Over The Top - 17x17x17 READ INSTRUCTIONS" with instruction how to buy the different parts of the puzzle, and most customers still order the large solid cube that is the equal-cost placeholder for the actual pieces.

Just guess what a potential buyer would do if he sees your model offered as "not for sale".

Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:26 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Just guess what a potential buyer would do if he sees your model offered as "not for sale".
Yes... I suspect that I'd sell far fewer puzzles. That and I don't really know if I could set it up as I described anyways. I know there are seperate check boxes for viewable and offered for sale in the model setup. A model listed as viewable but not for sale will show up in my shop as expected. However I once tried to list a model as offered for sale but not viewable and if I logged out of Shapeways I was unable to get it to open the link to the puzzle. So if the link doesn't open how can an order be placed? That was some time ago so maybe it works now but regardless I agree its far from an ideal solution.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 pm 

Carl, this is what a link to a hidden model looks like.
https://www.shapeways.com/model/182113/over_the_top___set_1___1x.html?key=80b41945cfcb2485e7ede445be20e9b6
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:57 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Carl, this is what a link to a hidden model looks like.
Thanks Oskar. I see what I was doing wrong. I was stripping that 'key' code off the link as I though it was just random garbage. When I was logged in I didn't need it. One mystery solved.

Also a quick update. Shapeways has now replied to the email I sent them yesterday. This was all they had to say:
Quote:
Hey Carl,

Thanks for letting us know.

Print anyways is a new feature and we are still running a pilot for it, but it is possible that we could expand this feature later.

Best,
<SNIP>
In short it side stepped all my main concerns. It does give me a bit more info on this new "print anyways" feature but I think I need to go order something to see exactly where this pops up. As he says its in pilot I wonder if its an option everyone sees.

The buyer of the Doctor Skewb has now replied to my PMs. As I suspected it was he that ordered a second copy of the rejected model. His initial order was for Black Strong & Flexible which Shapeways locked out along with White Strong & Flexible when they rejected his initial order. So he then placed an order for the same model as White Strong & Flexible Polished. For some reason Shapeways didn't lock out the Polished Strong & Flexible options. If the non-polished parts can't be cleaned why would the polished options be any easier to clean? Anyways, if this order is rejected too he does plan on ordering my corrected model. If it isn't he believes he can dye the parts black himself and he sounds good with that. I'm concerned that his dyed parts likely won't be exactly the same shade of black as the part he is getting from Shapeways but we'll cross that bridge if we need to. He has stated he'd contact me if he needs any help.

So while still far from ideal things appear to be on path to keep everyone happy.

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:10 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Another model is titled "Over The Top - 17x17x17 READ INSTRUCTIONS" with instruction how to buy the different parts of the puzzle, and most customers still order the large solid cube that is the equal-cost placeholder for the actual pieces.
This one really boggles my mind. How many people are out there that are willing to drop $1600 for a single puzzle but can't afford the time to read how to properly order that puzzle? Trust me if I were spending that kind of money I'd ready everything on the page 10 times.

Were all these cases caught in time to avoid the customer from getting a $1600 solid block of sintered nylon? You may want to give Brandon a shot at packing these pieces to see if he could fit them all into a single file with the proper bounding box and triangle count restrictions. I suspect that it could be done while having no perceivable impact on the final product.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Were all these cases caught in time to avoid the customer from getting a $1600 solid block of sintered nylon? You may want to give Brandon a shot at packing these pieces to see if he could fit them all into a single file with the proper bounding box and triangle count restrictions. I suspect that it could be done while having no perceivable impact on the final product.

He did. I tried. Oskar used a very creative and useful numbering scheme for the pieces to aid in sorting them out. Maintaining the numbers requires too many triangles. If the numbers were converted to binary and used square holes I'm pretty sure it would be possible. Packing the parts as they are now, I could cut the 24x model order to probably about 4x but the savings wouldn't be THAT significant and the complexity for customers would be too high. It also would complicate ordering a 25th or 26th set for extra parts.

Also, I've been trying to pack a very large model for another designer but Shapeways keeps rejecting every packing of it I've made with a rather cryptic error. I'm still experimenting with it to try to isolate the problem so that I can give Shapeways a more concrete lead to look into whatever the problem is.

So in short, even if I could get all of Oskar's 17x17x17 into a single model, I'm not convinced Shapeways would be able to handle the model.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:46 pm 

Hey everyone, I just recently joined the twisty puzzle forums and decided to use this as my introductory post. I'm the person that purchased the puzzle from Carl's shop. I'd like to share my experience with you so please excuse the small bump to this thread.

Before I realized Carl was trying to contact me I was very confused and upset. The reason Shapeways gave me for rejecting my order was that some designs are to fragile to be printed in certain materials. There is an embedded YouTube video on the page of the puzzle in action though... The laws of physics don't change but peoples minds can. I figured someone just didn't want to do it because it would involve actual work. More transparency on their part would have really helped here. There customer support system definitely needs some improvements. Had Carl not been around to help or if he just didn't care that would have been the first and last time I purchased anything through Shapeways. Thanks Carl!

I managed to get the 2nd order for the parts in the wrong color canceled and ordered the corrected version. I looked around for the print it anyway feature but it wasn't there. I think its just for designers to work the kinks out of there models and doubt its something that will ever be available to their customers. The powder escape hole policy is something they need to look at a little more closely. Many of the parts I received had powder still inside. This includes the core which wasn't rejected and has several large holes in it. :roll: If they can't properly clean that part I just don't know what to say...

Anyway here are some pictures of the completed puzzle. I think it turned out rather nice despite all the problems. The Cubesmith tiles I cut with my little brothers plotter aren't perfect but its hard to tell unless you look really closely.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 961.01 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]

Attachment:
image(2).jpg
image(2).jpg [ 950.04 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]

I plan to scramble it later today. Who knows if I'll ever see it in this state again.

Tall Pawn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:02 pm 

Tall Pawn wrote:
Hey everyone, I just recently joined the twisty puzzle forums and decided to use this as my introductory post. I'm the person that purchased the puzzle from Carl's shop. I'd like to share my experience with you so please excuse the small bump to this thread.
Hello Tall Pawn,

First welcome to the forums. I believe you will find this a great site if you love twisty puzzles. Be it puzzle theory, finding rare puzzles, or discussions of how to design or build your own, everyone here has always been happy to help and share ideas. So I hope you stay and share in the conversations.

Thanks for sharing your half of the story. I wasn't aware you hadn't been told more about why they refused to print the model. I agree Shapeways appears to be shooting themselves in the foot with their customer service in a mater like this. Before I open a model up for purchase I have always printed it for myself to verify there weren't issue with the model just so I could avoid issue like this. When they change the rules after the fact it makes that very hard and worse still if they don't disclose to you exactly why they are now refusing to print it. As you said its obvious from the videos and pictures that they had printed it at least once so why not now?

I too haven't seen the print anyways feature but I don't think I've ordered a model since I was made aware of it. It may only be an option for your own designs though shapeways did say something about it still being in pilot so maybe its only select designers... just not sure.

I'm happy to see you were able to get it togethered and stickered. It looks great. I hope it proves to be a very enjoyable puzzle. I took one with me to G4G11 last week. It had been broken in for several months and turned well. Still I was amazed at how many of those in attandance at G4G11 struggled to fugure out how it turned. The corners and face centers are fixed to the core and I think 90% of those that pick it up for the first time try to turn a corner like on a skewb. They then grab it by opposite faces and try to turn it and realize nothing moves. And most end up resorting to having to ask me "Ok... show me how this one turns?"

I also had a Doctor Cube with me as well and even there I had a similiar experience. There almost everyone realizes its a slice turn only puzzle very quickly. However they naturally only make 90 degree turns. So I let them know that it does something that a normal Rubik's Cube can't do. And even with that info there were several that couldn't figure it out.

Granted many of those at G4G11 aren't twisty puzzle regulars but I wouldn't have expected either of these puzzles to be that counter intuitive.

Again welcome to the furums and thanks for your interest in my puzzles,
Carl