Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need a most-likely non-existent set of screws.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 pm 

***My apologies in advance for the possibility of interpreting this post in a dirty way. I know no other way to say the point correctly***

So a shapeways puzzle arrived, and unfortunately, I'm not good with designing screw holes (I prefer puzzles without screw-spring cores, and here is a reason why). So it arrived, and to my discovery, the screw hole is the right diameter for an M3 screw, but the head of the screw is too big.

I've been to my local hardware store, and I found the right length and right diameter threading, but still the head it too large. I went to 2 other stores, and to my dismay, I haven't found anything the correct size.

And I DID check the screws that were in Imperial (oh boy :lol: ) and since the lengths are not the same, and have too big of gaps in length, I didn't want them due to the difference.

Here's what I need (Metric): 6 screws, heads the size of an M2/2.5, thread diameter of an M3, and a length of 16MM-18MM.
Here's what I need (Imperial): 6 screws, heads the size of #2/#3 (have never seen a #3 screw so I'm assuming they aren't common or aren't existent), thread diameter of a #4, length of 5/8".

So in the hopes of finding the right screw, I was wondering if anyone here knew of the kind I'm looking for, or if I'm asking for something that hasn't yet been introduced.

Thanks everyone!!
-Chris

P.S. The puzzle was quite restricted when making screws fit in the design, so it isn't an easy fix as of now.

Post subject: Re: Need a most-likely non-existent set of screws.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm 

Check out screws labeled as "Japanese Industrial Standard" because they have much smaller screw heads.

For example http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=qnld1y

You can also get smaller heads in Torx screws. What is the maximum diameter screw head your design supports?

Post subject: Re: Need a most-likely non-existent set of screws.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:31 pm 

Brandon Enright wrote:
Check out screws labeled as "Japanese Industrial Standard" because they have much smaller screw heads.

For example http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=qnld1y

You can also get smaller heads in Torx screws. What is the maximum diameter screw head your design supports?

Well, until further notice I've macgyver'd my #2-5/8" screws to fit it properly. The maximum is just under an M6 screw head. The reason it needed to be a certain size, was because if it was M3 or larger, it scrapes the pieces and removed material.

I'll be looking at the japanese standard sizes...