Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle Modding
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:40 pm 

I would to like to learn how to modify puzzles. what advice can you offer (besides lot's of practice) such as prototype building and and materials to use? I've seen Milliput mentioned before but don't know much about it except that it comes in white and black.

Thanks again - mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:08 pm 

Hey Mike,
As a Cube Cutter myself, I'd say start with a...

- bandaged cube
- Siamese cube
- Octagon
- Fishers Cube

easily done with a cube or two and some 2pt epoxy resin found at any home store or Wal-Mart and some cutting tool (I use a dremel). I'd say any one of these could be done in an afternoon. I did my first Siamese in about 2 hours while having a few beers...
Drop me a line if you need any direction.

later,
_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:59 pm 

Hi Mike,

Get yourself some milliput and start applying it to a puzzle and start filing away. There's quite a few guides in the articles section. Your first result will no doubt be pretty shabby but you will fast learn the characteristics of certain materials and what is possible. You will also become familar with the working and problems with each material.

Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:24 pm 

As an alternative to Milliput you can try Magic Sculp. It's cheaper tahn Milliput by a significant amount and it's very comparable. It used to come only in a rather ugly greenish/grayish color however I saw an ad somewhere for "new in white" Magic Sculp. It's also initially easier to work than Milliput so that might be a good alternative for you if you're planning on getting a lot of practice.

I don't remember when the conversation took place, maybe the middle of last year, but _pink started a thread discussing the different methods for custom puzzle construction. I told myself that one of these days I'd write an extensive article about many of these techniques but I haven't done so yet. I still will but who knows when that will get done.

http://www.magicsculp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:47 pm 

Hello again,
Yep there are many wonderful articles here on puzzle mods... and Thank You Jin for remembering my discussion on mods some time ago... just to recap, here is my "mod breakdown"

1. Stickering
2. Transplanting
3. Bonding
4. Truncation
5. Augmentation
6. Multi-process
7. Custom Fabrication

simple explanation:

1. Stickering: Grab a cube and make some new stickers to put on it.... easy enough

2. Transplanting: Drop some pieces of a few different puzzles together and start turning

3. Bonding: Plenty of examples like the Bandaged variations... Just stick a few pieces together with super glue... but be careful.... you might wind up with a paperweight if you don't think things out!

4. Truncation: Just saw off chunks and fill the holes with milliput or the like... Shuttles, Diamonds, Pillows etc fall into this class

5. Augmentation: This requires adding material to pieces. Milliput again will do the trick. Alot of times Augmentation is used in conjunction with truncation to arrive at some very interesting shapes.

which leads to...

6. Multi-Process: as stated above, many variants are made by using more than one method... example: Fishers Cubes are made by cutting off some corners and edges and glueing the removed parts onto others to simulate a rotation of the disections!

7. Custom Fabrication: Hey... just keep chopping away and sooner or later you'll get the urge to try something besides hacking and glueing... I finally got tired of my old hacked up Domino and now I'm in the process of molding my own from prepared Autocad Inventor files and pieces milled to within .001" I suspect that it will function alot better than my old friend.... but I'll keep my first Domino around just for a smile every now and then...

lemme know if this helps or not...
_pink