Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: E-Cube 5x5x5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:23 pm 

This is a 5x5x5 that I designed to be unpoppable, but its corners still pop out sometimes if it is too loose. :| Currently, it is my favorite 5x5.
Attachment:
File comment: assembled cube
zzzz E-Cube 5x5x5.png
zzzz E-Cube 5x5x5.png [ 178.81 KiB | Viewed 1205 times ]

The assembled cube

mechanism pictures
Attachment:
File comment: Mech. 1
zzzz E-Cube 5x5x5 mech..png
zzzz E-Cube 5x5x5 mech..png [ 176.41 KiB | Viewed 1205 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Mech.2
zzzz E-Cube 5x5x5 mech2.png
zzzz E-Cube 5x5x5 mech2.png [ 233.77 KiB | Viewed 1205 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Mech.3
zzzz E-Cube 5x5x5 mech3.png
zzzz E-Cube 5x5x5 mech3.png [ 310.05 KiB | Viewed 1205 times ]

My E-Cube 5x5x5 mechanism is inspired by Rubik's 4x4 mechanism, which has given me many good ideas. :)
(edit)I also have been using spherical surfaces, but I first saw those in the Rubik's 5x5.

I hope it rains on your parade
I hope you have a lousy day today

Just Kidding! Have a great day!

Sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!!!

Post subject: Re: E-Cube 5x5x5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:31 pm 

WHY DIDN'T YOU JOIN THE TWISTY PUZZLES FORUM SOONER? :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:06 pm 

12354q wrote:

I'm asking the same question!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
12354q wrote:

I'm asking the same question!
Skynet just became sentient a few days ago. He needs a few days before he's ready to take over the world.

LOL,
Carl

P.S. Wait... is that a 5x5x5 with a 3x3x3 inside where the 3x3x3 edges and corners aren't reused to make the 5x5x5 edges and corners? We are all doomed I tell you. Run for the hills now. Pauses for a second... looks like he's missed the 3x3x3 face center. Good... we should still have a few hours left. LOL!!!

Psst... no one point him at my tread or we may lose those few hours.

Last edited by wwwmwww on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:29 pm 

I recently found the forum on YouTube, and I joined as soon as I could. Most people you see will be impressed by any twisty puzzle, so I wanted to communicate with others who knew about them as well. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:54 pm 

E-Cubes Designer X wrote:
I recently found the forum on YouTube, and I joined as soon as I could. Most people you see will be impressed by any twisty puzzle, so I wanted to communicate with others who knew about them as well. :mrgreen:
Trying to be serious for a second. I see in the other thread that you use SolidWorks. Many of your shapes look more organic then I'm used to seeing. Care to share some of your design tips? And did you really develop this skill in isolation? How? I was guessing you were a designer that had been working in the industry for someone else and that you are just now breaking off on your own. Clearly you have researched V-Cube designs and many others it seems and you are just now finding TwistyPuzzles.com? All I can think of is either you are the most intelligent/skilled 12 year old on the planet and your parents just got you your first PC... or you are Skynet. Hmmm... if you are 12 maybe you don't get the Skynet reference. Ok... clearly I'm not able to stay serious for an entire post yet so I'll just watch is awe some more.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:31 am 

I am 19, not 12, or Skynet. :lol:

When I designed my 5x5x5, I examined lockups on my Mefferet's Professor's Cube, and changed the shape of pieces to prevent them from moving outside of their set layers. I also decided to add large fillets so that the cube could be designed pre-modified.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:12 am 

I am 19, not 12, or Skynet. :lol:
That is exactly what Shynet would say. ;) Seriously, you are less then half my age. I'm not surprised by that at all. The rest of this I'm pulling from your Square-1 thread as I was pulling that one off topic. Sorry about that...
EMI94100 wrote:
I remember someone posting a sketch of a 5x5 using the same mechanism as the Dayan 4x4 (which is using a 2x2 as core) but instead using a 3x3 as core. I think it was when the Dayan 4x4 came out, but I don't know where it was posted. Of course this is something else; not just the idea but a complete design.
Very interesting. I believe I missed this. If anyone remembers this and knows where it is posted PLEASE let me know. I'd LOVE to see it.
wwwmwww wrote:Put a square grove that cuts into the feet of the 3x3x3 edges and corners. Then add a square part with a circular hole in it that slides onto the 5x5x5 face center stalk. It would even help hold things together... though looking at things its looks very stable as is. Still I want it there.
It is there, but it would never turn relative to the outer center piece, so I fused them into one piece. That piece holds the puzzle together, the 4 tabs on the outter center piece are added for stability, and it would work without them. The inner center holds in the face pieces, not the inner 3x3x3.
Could you post a picture of your 5x5x5 Face Center piece? And maybe those inner 3x3x3 Edges and Corners, so I can see what is going on there? If you have a square extension coming off of the 5x5x5 Face Center locking it into these inner edges and corners it appears you'd lock the outer 5x5x5 Layer to the 3x3x3 Layer just below it. I can make some simple pictures to show you what I'm talking about tonight.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:32 pm 

Oh... Oh... Oh... I just realized a puzzle which this mechanism will allow me to make. It is NOT a 5x5x5. E-Cubes Designer X (do you have something shorter you'd prefer I address you by?... call me Carl by the way) would you mind if I reversed engineered this a bit so I can make the puzzle that I now see in my head? I'll simplify it a bit as I must confess your organic shapes which I believe are aimed at speed cubing I don't fully understand and for the puzzle I want to make I'm not really concerned about speed anyways. I just wanted to make sure you were OK with it before I started playing with your design.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:30 pm 

You can refer to me as E-Cubes.

You are free to modify my designs for making other puzzles (personal use only), but please be sure to state that it is based on my original design. Thanks, and I would be proud to inspire other designers. :D