Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What grits of sandpaper do I need and why?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 pm 

I'm coming into modding 100% blind and so far I don't think I have the money to render any puzzles useless by risking an ignorant mod choice. So I'd like to know what types of sandpaper are good for what steps, and when to use wet sanding when modifying a puzzle in a non-superficial way (I'm making a square-2 and a sliced domino)

Post subject: Re: What grits of sandpaper do I need and why?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

Sandpaper. Use big flat sheets where possible on a flat surface (unless you are doing curved surfaces!). Low number = coarser = removes material fast = rougher surface. Wet and dry is finer, and can be used with small amounts of water to produce a very smooth finish. What type you use depends on your level of desired perfection and patience. I generally use nothing rougher than P100 and end with P320 before polishing.

Of course for bug jobs, a Dremel like tool is the best, but it does take a little practice or it can "run away" and do great damage. I guess Tony is the best man for the answer to this question.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:23 pm 

Before polishing you say.. how do you polish?

I use P600 as the last one before applying paint, currently, but that polishing thing sounds interesting :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:15 pm 

I've always liked to sand every surface 320 -> 600 -> 800 before polishing to get the scratches out. Wet or Dry brand sandpaper is good though it clogs/wears out very quickly.

I use 'Micro-Mesh' pads (preferably wet) to polish, like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291017883744?lpid=82

They last a long time, typically start at 1500 grit, and if you can find them up to a grit of 10,000 or higher you'll get a really shiny finish.

Shapeways Shop | Youtube Channel

Custom Puzzles For Sale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:18 am 

I tend to use 220 for the rough work then 600 to smooth. I had some 1500 but I have to say it wasn't that different from the 600 for my uses. Plain paper for polishing.

I don't dry sand anymore. Save your lungs. Not only does the sandpaper last longer (you won't clog it up) but you are being safer. You can find all those in wet/dry, which tends to be tougher than the paper/glue/grit standard stuff.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:24 am 

Hmm that plain paper trick I hadn't tried yet, can do that on the next puzzle :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:40 am 

Okay so Wet or Dry is a good brand for this, and I want to do it wet through the whole process? I figure David knows what's best to make a Square-2 for obvious reasons. I just got bored of my MF8 Square-1 so I started cutting corners in half.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:38 pm 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
Okay so Wet or Dry is a good brand for this, and I want to do it wet through the whole process? I figure David knows what's best to make a Square-2 for obvious reasons. I just got bored of my MF8 Square-1 so I started cutting corners in half.
As it happens my change to wet sanding happened when fixing masters for the Gigaminx, many years after the Square-2 work I did.
For that I sanded dry but would sand wet if I were doing it again. Water contains the mess of powder you otherwise get, and keeps the paper from clogging as much. I even forgot (until I re-read the link above) that I used to get friction blisters from dry sanding. I just don't see any advantage to dry sanding.

Dave