Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is the Real Crazy555, and can we make it?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 am 

I decided to make a new topic to break the discussion from this thread: Making the Real555 by Carl Hoff.

wwwmwww wrote:
Here is the type of cuts I'm envisioning just applied to one axis...
Attachment:
Drawing[1].png
Drawing[1].png [ 226.93 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]

I made a more detailed piece type distribution chart. It's interesting to see the flow of piece types mapped out like that. On the chart I put 2x different twin ring locations and their relative piece types on 0 and 1faces, I'm not sure which one you were thinking of [click on attachment to enlarge]:
Attachment:
RealCrazy555 piece types distribution.jpg
RealCrazy555 piece types distribution.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 292 times ]

As far as solving goes, the addition of such a ring would probably make it easier? I assume that, because it would allow the solver to see some of the target relationships much easier during reduction. You actually lose some piece types by adding the ring too, less is more.

When you are solving the Crazy333s, you don't have a ring to aid you with the positioning of the centres and CCs, but with this type of ring, you would have an aid to help position the `now floating` 333 parts. I think it might be taking away from the puzzle. The question is more philosophical.. what is the Real Crazy555? Remembering that Bo Hu sees it different again.

After the philosophical question, perhaps a mechanism question can be asked.. like: Can it be made from Carl's Real555, or how can it be made?

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)