Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Minesweeper Cube (puzzle idea)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:49 am 

Hello everyone.

On 3x3x3 colors give us information which pieces are in correct orientation/permutation, on Mirror Cube shape of cubies plays analogical function. My idea is to use different method to gain such information.
I'm pretty sure most of you are familiar with Minesweeper game from Windows OS. In said game numbered tiles tell us how many of 8 surrounding tiles contains mines. On 3x3x3 central piece can play role of numbered tile and reveal how many of surrounding cubies have wrong oriented "stickers" without telling us which one exactly.

Has anything similar been made (virtually or physically)?

Krystian

Last edited by madartilect on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Minesweeper Cube (puzzle idea)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:57 am 

That's a great idea for a sticker mod! (which I love) although i'm thinking slightly differently. No colours, just the numbers on the centres, and the right number of bombs on the surrounding stickers in the solved state. That sounds like a tough puzzle to solve to me! :)

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:04 am 

very hard puzzle!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:52 am 

OK, here are pictures to visualize how I imagine it. Above pictures presents analogical situations. 0 means that face is solved, 2 that 2 "stickers" are wrong etc. The hard part to implement it physically would be centers that need somehow change displayed number (or anything that could act as such) to hint if face is solved.

Solving-wise I believe it'd be hard only on the beginning, later we just have pattern recognition, ex. we see '3' on U face and 2,3 on F and R so it means it must be sune algorithm.

Krystian

Last edited by madartilect on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:57 am 

In the first image, why does the green face show 3? Are there 2 shades of green on this cube?

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:05 am 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
In the first image, why does the green face show 3? Are there 2 shades of green on this cube?

Hm, I've got picture from here (first alg) I'm not sure why it is displayed that way in the applet, but you're right it sould be 1 and 2 on R face.

Edit. OK, I corrected it.

Krystian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:29 am 

I would love that as a digital cube that physically twists, the outside cubes look like simple 3x3x3 cubes and the centre is an led display with no colour. Each time you reset the game they display new numbers on each centre and you have to work out which centres are which colour and then try and give that centre its desired about of cubies.

Each outer cubie needs to have a signature (a binary code or something) that tells the inner centre what colour it is.

This is surely doable. Not by me, I don't have the skills. but I would definitely buy one!.

Edit: Looking back, I don't think this was originally what you were talking about, but. Sticking with the Minesweeper concept, THAT is what I would like to see :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:41 am 

I think such a puzzle must either be electronic or virtual (Ahem, Oskar.)

It must be horrendously hard to solve. There would be many states with the same center configuration.

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:43 am 

Actually, this feels more like Mastermind than Minesweeper to me. To do that, you'd want two numbers. To be fully authentic to Mastermind those two numbers would be: (1) the number of cubies belonging to that face but not in the correct position and/or orientation, and (2) the number of cubies on that face that are in correct position and orientation. The face would be solved when the second number is 8.

Another way might be: One number to say how many pieces are in the correct positions (but not necessarily the right orientation) and a second for the number in the correct orientation (but not necessarily in the right position). Make them both 8s and the face is solved.

So there's a couple variants for you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 am 

But surely, bwross you wouldn't need a number to tell you that the cubies had incorrect permutation as the surrounding faces would be displaying incorrect numbers. In my head there are no colours and the goal would be to get every centre display to display the number 8.

You could even call it "the magic 8 cube!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:31 am 

I have played Mine Sweeper too many tomes on my PC and now playing minesweeper puzzle is a different experience for me.