Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crazy2Face Complete Kit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:40 pm 

In the spring, rline proposed a mod to give Crazy 3x3 puzzles another type of face, a solid 2-face. Here is my complete Crazy2Face kit, made from two complementary Crazy3x3s:
Attachment:
Crazy-2-Face-Full-Kit-1_sm.png
Crazy-2-Face-Full-Kit-1_sm.png [ 598.37 KiB | Viewed 1890 times ]

I used Burgo's idea of separating the edge and corner pieces to make the most flexible kit possible. I have six complete circle faces and six complete 2-faces (solid faces).

To make the 2-faces, I glued the circle pieces to the edges and corners and filled the gap with Apoxie Sculpt. After sanding, I painted the pieces using Krylon Fusion paint, five coats. I used Cubesmith stickers as I had both their Crazy 3x3 sets and their regular 3x3 sets. The colour match on the centres was perfect, though there are enough extra centres that I could have made a second set of stickered centres.

This was my first use of Apoxie Sculpt, a two-part epoxy clay, and the main issue I had with this mod was was that due to my inexperience, I didn't press it into the sides well enough (it is very sticky). Many of the pieces had a great join on top, but a U-shaped gap on the edge - the very part that is not hidden by the sticker! I also learned that experienced users of Apoxie Sculpt recommend that it be left for 10-15 minutes after mixing so that it is less sticky. I reapplied Apoxie Sculpt to the parts that had issues and I'm very happy with the result.

If you want to skip the gap filling and painting, the Crazy2Face kit could be made in an evening. This project was a good way for me to develop my modding skills, so the time I put in - about 10 hours over the space of a few weeks - was a good investment and I'm very happy with the results. Now I will have a steady supply of new puzzles for as long as I care to switch centres and faces around.

In the picture, my Crazy2Face is set up as Saturn (J-011120), which will be the fourth Crazy2Face configuration I've tried.

Post subject: Re: Crazy2Face Complete Kit
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:14 am 

Great stuff, Pete! I never really knew how many others might go ahead and make the kit. It definitely is a straightforward mod. Yours looks wonderful. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:29 am 

this looks really good.

I don't have the patience or attention to detail to make one of these myself so i'm leaving it in burgos capable hands.

I may have to wait a while but i'm sure I will be very pleased with the results.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:12 pm 

Can you please explain what you mean by a 2-face? I feel like I've been missing that for a while now...

-Eitan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:11 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
Can you please explain what you mean by a 2-face? I feel like I've been missing that for a while now...

-Eitan

A 2face is simply a standard face which has no circle pieces on the face. The face can turn freely whether circle pieces are on it or not. I believe it was first introduced and used when mf8+dayan put out the crazy tetrahedra. On their chart (which I'll attach here) they show the 2face. It seemed like a logical choice for me to use when naming the crazy 2face puzzle. Hope that helps. :)

Attachment:
crazy planet tetrahedra.jpg
crazy planet tetrahedra.jpg [ 35 KiB | Viewed 1684 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:15 pm 

pirsquared wrote:

-Eitan
Here is the post where rline explained his project.

In summary, Crazy 3x3 puzzles have 0-faces, in which the inner circle does NOT turn with the face and 1-faces, in which the inner circle turns with the face. What rline proposed was a new face type - the "2-face" which doesn't have a circle at all! It turns normally, just like a regular 3x3 face. It adds a whole new dimension to the Crazy 3x3 series by blocking turns when 2-face pieces are turned onto 0-faces. Burgo has since defined additional, bandaged face types.

I see rline has also posted while I was typing. I'll leave this here anyway.

rline wrote:
Great stuff, Pete! I never really knew how many others might go ahead and make the kit. It definitely is a straightforward mod. Yours looks wonderful. 8-)
Thanks. I'm having a lot of fun with these.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 am 

Hi Pete, Sorry If im missing something fairly obvious but I cant tell from the picture do you technically have 4 versions of each peice. for instance
1x solid yellow / circle green -edge
1x circle yellow / circle green -edge
1x solid yellow / solid green -edge
1x circle yellow / Solid Green - edge

so that you have all options available?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:34 am 

andychilly wrote:
Hi Pete, Sorry If im missing something fairly obvious but I cant tell from the picture do you technically have 4 versions of each peice. for instance

Actually it's:

1x solid yellow half-edge
1x circle yellow half-edge + 1 inner circle yellow
1x solid green half-edge
1x circle green half-edge + 1 inner circle green

And you just put the correct half parts together to get the piece you want. Same goes for the corners. Multiply those by four so you can do a full face.

Then there's 6 of each type of two types of centers. This will get you any configuration of 0, 1, 2, or 3 faces you want.

Last edited by bwross on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:09 am 

ah so the individual edge pieces are split up so you can stick which ever two (or 3 in he corner cases) sections you want together.

I didnt realise the mf8-dayan crazy series had splittable peices.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:56 am 

bwross wrote:
andychilly wrote:

Actually it's:

1x solid yellow half-edge
1x circle yellow half-edge + 1 inner circle yellow
1x solid green half-edge
1x circle green half-edge + 1 inner circle green

And you just put the correct half parts together to get the piece you want. Same goes for the corners. Multiply those by four so you can do a full face.

Then there's 6 of each type of two types of centers. This will get you any configuration of 0, 1, 2, or 3 faces you want.

In your post, I now read for the first time about the 3-face. What kind of face is that? Maybe I'm not very imaginitive, but it seems to me that 3 types is all?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:45 am 

1NSAN3 wrote:
In your post, I now read for the first time about the 3-face. What kind of face is that? Maybe I'm not very imaginitive, but it seems to me that 3 types is all?
Deep in the thread I linked in my original post, Burgo gave these definitions of the 3-face:
Burgo wrote:
The opportunity to bandage a 2 face so that it cannot move (unless all circle pieces surround one of these type of faces it will twist) as I suggested above^^. Maybe we could call the `locked 2 faces` 3 faces? This would give 0, 1, 2 & 3 face types. It would occur when you use `2-face edge & corner pieces` and a `0-face centre piece`.

It seems Burgo was going for a locked 2-face as another element of the Crazy puzzle world. I haven't tried them myself, as I find the Crazy 2-face puzzles challenging enough. Burgo also defined "B4-faces" which is a set of interchangable bandage pieces for the Crazy 3x3 and Crazy 2-Face puzzles. There is a separate thread about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:43 pm 

Pete the Geek wrote:
1NSAN3 wrote:
Deep in the thread I linked in my original post, Burgo gave these definitions of the 3-face:
Burgo wrote:
The opportunity to bandage a 2 face so that it cannot move (unless all circle pieces surround one of these type of faces it will twist) as I suggested above^^. Maybe we could call the `locked 2 faces` 3 faces? This would give 0, 1, 2 & 3 face types. It would occur when you use `2-face edge & corner pieces` and a `0-face centre piece`.

It seems Burgo was going for a locked 2-face as another element of the Crazy puzzle world. I haven't tried them myself, as I find the Crazy 2-face puzzles challenging enough. Burgo also defined "B4-faces" which is a set of interchangable bandage pieces for the Crazy 3x3 and Crazy 2-Face puzzles. There is a separate thread about it.

Thanks! =)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:37 pm 

I cant wait to own one of Burgos kits

Not long now :-D