Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where can I buy.. 'modding supplies'? (Canada)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 am 

I know similar threads as been done before, but I'm asking it for myself, I live in Canada. From where can I order plastic sheeting, for a (not to expensive) price? And for epoxy sculpt, does anyone already ordered from here http://www.sculpturesupply.com/ordering.php ? And what sort of sand paper, saw, spray paint and other tools should I buy?

And what sort of plastic sheeting, and expoxy sculpt should I buy?

Thank's.

Post subject: Re: Where can I buy.. 'modding supplies'? (Canada)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 pm 

Hello,
I live in Toronto Canada, and I have ordered from Sculpture Supply Canada and they are great, highly recommended. I purchased my Epoxy Sculpt from them. Try to get the colour that matches your sheeting and cubes, I got black.

You will probably want a razor saw and mitre box, check your local hobby stores for these, there is a combo pack that contains both. Wet sandpaper in several grits leading up to as high as possible to get a very smooth finish and try a final polish with regular bond paper. Any sort of super glue should work for affixing your sheeting.

You will want styrene or ABS sheeting 1-1.5mm thick, you can easily order at several places online, including amazon, check local model and hobby stores that might sell packages of 3 or 4 sheets, which is not too costly. Or you could check out local plastics manufacturers or distributors.
You may have to purchase a larger amount, but its cheaper in the long run. I got mine from here: http://www.lairdplastics.ca/locations-list

You might also want to pick up some vinyl in different colours, try your local art store, usually around 5-7 dollars/yard. If you don;t want to trim your own vinyl, you can purchase stickers at a place like cubesmith.com.

Google and a telephone are your best friends.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:11 pm 

Ok, thank's ! For the link that you gave me I see that they are located in a city near me. If I contact them, what do I say, cause normaly people don't know what "plastic sheeting" is?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:06 pm 

Drake wrote:
Ok, thank's ! For the link that you gave me I see that they are located in a city near me. If I contact them, what do I say, cause normaly people don't know what "plastic sheeting" is?
I have a feeling that Lair Plastics would know lol
I also agree that you should call every time before leaving the house, it saves you the trip.
You are not the first hobbyist out there so be sure they will not be surprised if you ask them for things like pastic sheeting even if they don't have it ask them if they have any idea where to buy it, some of them are nice enough to help you.

Best of luck with your project! :)

P.S. By the way, you could just start with epoxy from a hobby shop and then start buying more material and tools as you find yourself needing them.