Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hexaminx
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 am 

If you can't buy it, make it.

This is, of course, Tony Fisher's Hexaminx. I had started it before my Megamorphix but switched projects after I was waiting for an order of megaminx parts. But now that I'm off from school for Christmas, I decided to finish it up. So this Hexaminx is made entirely from spare pieces and scraps, mostly from original QJ megaminxes (not those new, silly, hollow ones), which is why it looks more like fossilized Swiss Cheese so far.

It might be hard to tell from the photos, but if you look close I decided to cut deeper than Tony's original because I liked the symmetry of the face center pieces (originally edges on the megaminx) better as squares rather than rectangles, which also avoids the issue of the megaminx corner pieces having to be rounded off to avoid blocking each others' planes. However, this does cut into the center pieces of the megaminx core (not just the caps). It doesn't cut into the actual mechanism at all, but it comes close.

So anyway, enjoy watching the progress. I'll update periodically with more pictures as it comes together. And for all you KO whistleblowers out there, don't worry. I'm not planning to sell this. This puzzle is for my own enjoyment.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 6406 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 6406 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hexaminx
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 am 
awesome! I didn't know that you could make one out of spare parts like that! make sure to add pictures when it's stickered as well!

You might want to keep in mind that even though your not selling this puzzle made from KO's, you shouldn't mention the company name of them either, because by doing that your still advertising them. I'm just repeating something I've heard many times that's all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 am 

Although the QJ megaminx is a copy of the Meffert's Megaminx (original patent expired), it is not considered KO. I give some thoughts on this here.

If you have questions on whether a puzzle is considered KO, feel free to PM a Moderator or Admin :)

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:25 am 

CrazyBadCuber wrote:
You might want to keep in mind that even though your not selling this puzzle made from KO's, you shouldn't mention the company name of them either, because by doing that your still advertising them.

Hmmm funny, so someone is advertising kO's on their channel and still lecture someone else about it :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 am 

Agreed.

It is so nice to see this take shape! Im glad my old megaminx could possibly have been a part of your beauty in the making. You have such skill!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 am 

cublem wrote:
CrazyBadCuber wrote:
You might want to keep in mind that even though your not selling this puzzle made from KO's, you shouldn't mention the company name of them either, because by doing that your still advertising them.
Hmmm funny, so someone is advertising kO's on their channel and still lecture someone else about it :?
CrazyB can advertise any KOs he wants on his YouTube channel, that's fine. What he is saying is that on these forums, we have a strict KO policy - see the many discussions about this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 am 

Gus wrote:
cublem wrote:
CrazyBadCuber wrote:
CrazyB can advertise any KOs he wants on his YouTube channel, that's fine. What he is saying is that on these forums, we have a strict KO policy - see the many discussions about this.

Yeah I understood that, but just wanted to point out the irony of the whole matter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:55 pm 

Indeed, but CrazyB has some "history" on these forums so I can't fault him for being ultra cautious. I'm sure he also sees the irony of his comments, but I applaud him for being able to wear two hats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:25 pm 
cublem wrote:
CrazyBadCuber wrote:

LOL There is no policy on KO's on YouTube, there are however policies on this forum. There is a big difference here. Nice try on the cheap shot though, and I excuse your ignorance =) Thank you for watching my video's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:31 pm 

Guys, I think we've diverged from the topic far enough.
Nice work on the Hexaminx.

-Doug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:30 pm 
DLitwin wrote:
Although the QJ megaminx is a copy of the Meffert's Megaminx (original patent expired), it is not considered KO. I give some thoughts on this here.

If you have questions on whether a puzzle is considered KO, feel free to PM a Moderator or Admin :)

Dave

Ok, I just assumed it was because the person who posted this said in his post that it was. I've also heard that it was, but I'll ask if I'm not 100% sure next time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:46 pm 

CrazyBadCuber wrote:
DLitwin wrote:

Dave

Ok, I just assumed it was because the person who posted this said in his post that it was. I've also heard that it was, but I'll ask if I'm not 100% sure next time.

Actually I meant the Hexaminx being a KO if I sold it, which I don't plan to. I honestly didn't think that megaminxes might be KO's themselves. I seem to remember that issue being addressed before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 am 

Good point, thanks for resolving that ambiguity. Indeed selling a square Hexaminx without Tony's permission would violate our KO policy and I am glad to know people are thinking carefully about these issues (both you and CrazyBadCuber). The effort to respect our policy is much appreciated.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:39 am 

Nice build MDW, its looking awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:05 am 

Finished one face of the emerging cube shape. This whole process is a lesson in recycling and efficiency. I'm trying to re-use as many scraps/pieces that get cut away as possible, which is probably why it's taking me so long.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 5762 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 5762 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:59 pm 

All corners and centers completed. Just have to do the rest of the edges now. Originally I had a face-by-face approach, but figured out doing it this way was much quicker. :)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 547.56 KiB | Viewed 5432 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 am 

Here are a pair of better pictures, one showing the completed side. It's looking pretty rough right now, especially with all those little holes/bubbles, but I'm happy with the progress so far. :)

Attachments:
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg [ 69.29 KiB | Viewed 5381 times ]
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg [ 66.68 KiB | Viewed 5381 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 pm 

Finished adding all extensions. Next I'll clean everything up on the inside (fill gaps and holes/sand down any unevenness), and then make sure everything on the outside is as flush a cube as possible before I cap each piece with a plastic sheet.

Cube shaped...
Attachment:
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg [ 73.88 KiB | Viewed 5212 times ]

And lightly scrambled...
Attachment:
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg [ 64.09 KiB | Viewed 5212 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:23 am 

Looking great. Thanks for all the progress pictures,

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:01 pm 

Just a small update; I'm working on capping everything with plastic sheet. All the gaps have been filled with epoxy putty (normal hardware-store epoxy before I got an order of black Milliput, but I'll be dying everything later to make sure it's all black), and every piece has at least one cap, but I haven't trimmed them down to fit yet. I did fully cap and clean up one of the cubic corners just to see how it would look and it's very nice. :) I hope I can at least get all the pieces done before my classes start up on Monday, and then I can work on stickers.

Attachments:
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg [ 187.99 KiB | Viewed 4825 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 am 

Here's an overdue update. All the pieces are capped but a few still need to be sanded to fit. Until then I'm just using pieces of a spare megaminx to hold everything in. Once I make sure all 62 pieces fit together I'll sand everything down to make sure it's a flush cube (again). Some may wonder why I bothered capping the pieces at all, since it seems a little redundant to then have to sand it down again. But I wanted all the pieces to have nice solid faces instead of a jumble of scraps and milliput. Figured it will look better in the end. Plus it gives me a little more wiggle room to get it totally cubic.

The pieces you see in the picture are the ones that have been sanded to fit. Eleven pieces to go, and a few of the centers. I also cut an experimental sticker from some scrap material. Just wanted to see how it would look. :)

Attachments:
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg [ 97.31 KiB | Viewed 4472 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 am 

Wow, you have the ability to work on separate face. that's so great, how could you do that? do you use epoxy sculpt to make the extension :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm 

cubervietnam wrote:
Wow, you have the ability to work on separate face. that's so great, how could you do that? do you use epoxy sculpt to make the extension :)

I made the extensions almost entirely from pieces of another megaminx, then filled any gaps and holes with milliput.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:50 pm 

All the pieces are fitted and now I'm working on sanding the whole thing down to size. When all that's done I'll dye the pieces. It's coming together, slowly but surely. :D

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 4223 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 4223 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm 

Wonderful work, it looks like it will be terrific when you've finished!

I'm so jealous, I wish I was capable of doing mods like this :D

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:20 pm 

So it's been a while. I'm finally off for the summer so I've had a chance to actually sit down and work on this puzzle. Right now I'm going over each piece individually to make any minor adjustments. Sanding, filling in small gaps, etc. Pieces that I've finished have been polished with fine sand paper and then a nail-filer and rounded off, just so I know which ones have been finished. Even on those pieces you can still see the deeper scores left by the rougher sanding. Burgo suggested I use black car scratch remover, so we'll see how that turns out. :D
Attachment:
IMG_7260.JPG
IMG_7260.JPG [ 737.26 KiB | Viewed 3060 times ]

I think I mentioned this before, but as you can probably see, I wanted the faces of my hexaminx to be a little deeper than Tony Fisher's original puzzle. I did this to avoid having to round off the corners of the elongated corner pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:39 pm 

I am blown away.
You possess so much talent.
Also, try polishing with cardboard and newpaper. It helps a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:46 pm 

Great job on the build! This is one puzzle I have always wanted to build myself.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 am 

Every time I see this kind of stuff I wonder why noone produces these. I mean a twisty puzzle business is nothing that will garantee you enough income. But if there is one puzzle that SOO many people NEED to have, that it's probably impossible not to make profit, it's this one. It's only a shape transformation of a megaminx and not even very complex. There is about any 3x3x3 cube transformation that has ever been invented on the market. Noone wants to produce this megaminx transformation. I bet it would sell for three times the price of a normal megaminx where production cost is not so much higher. Although I am not experienced what that is concerned. There are more different type of parts after all.

Another thought: Noone has ever made a circle Hexaminx. It would be time to do that. But not by me. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 pm 

alaskajoe wrote:
Every time I see this kind of stuff I wonder why noone produces these. I mean a twisty puzzle business is nothing that will garantee you enough income. But if there is one puzzle that SOO many people NEED to have, that it's probably impossible not to make profit, it's this one. It's only a shape transformation of a megaminx and not even very complex. There is about any 3x3x3 cube transformation that has ever been invented on the market. Noone wants to produce this megaminx transformation. I bet it would sell for three times the price of a normal megaminx where production cost is not so much higher. Although I am not experienced what that is concerned. There are more different type of parts after all.

Another thought: Noone has ever made a circle Hexaminx. It would be time to do that. But not by me. :lol:

The hexaminx is on Tony's "DO NOT SELL" list.

Hunter Palshook wrote:
I am blown away.
You possess so much talent.
Also, try polishing with cardboard and newpaper. It helps a lot!
Nail buffers are amazing for making plastic smooth and shiny!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:47 am 

Pieces nicely rounded and dyed. Working on polishing them now to remove all the scratches.
(This time I tried photoshopping the picture all nicely :D)

Attachments:
Hexaminx.jpg
Hexaminx.jpg [ 76.92 KiB | Viewed 2260 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 am 

Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
Pieces nicely rounded and dyed. Working on polishing them now to remove all the scratches.

It looks brilliant! I always enjoy seeing your builds progress through the regular pictures.

Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
(This time I tried photoshopping the picture all nicely :D)

Even Andreas would be proud of that! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:40 pm 

Great work! Excellent!
Unfortunately I cant do this by myself.
I hope I will learn sometime.
I wished this masterpiece would not be on tonys "no sell list".
I would buy one as soon as it is affordable :)