Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Design Challenge (Slice-Turn only Circle 3x3x3)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:31 pm 

Here is a question I want to throw out there...

We all know what a Slice-Turn only 3x3x3 is. I know how to make one.

We all know what a Circle 3x3x3 is. Again I know how to make one.

However I see problems with a Slice-Turn only Circle 3x3x3. Oskar has designed a mech (maybe even two) which I believe could be used but I'm hoping to find a simplier solution.

So does anyone here see an easy way to make a Slice-Turn only Circle 3x3x3? No external bridges allowed... the solution must be completely contained within the cube.

Ideas?

Carl

Post subject: Re: Design Challenge (Slice-Turn only Circle 3x3x3)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 pm 

Well...
What if you made some of the "circle" pieces 1 piece? What I mean is that they would have a connecting bridge inside. This would give them the appearance of 2 different pieces, while in reality, it is just one. The ends of the piece (the visible parts) would be on two opposing faces.

-Doug

Post subject: Re: Design Challenge (Slice-Turn only Circle 3x3x3)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 pm 

Doug Roth wrote:
What if you made some of the "circle" pieces 1 piece? What I mean is that they would have a connecting bridge inside. This would give them the appearance of 2 different pieces, while in reality, it is just one. The ends of the piece (the visible parts) would be on two opposing faces.
The face pieces aren't the problem. The problem comes with the corner's and the face centers. Speaking in "complex" term's I'm trying to get a core and a 3x3x3's inverted core into the same puzzle. Both are cores in a sense and physically they want to occupy the same space so most of the trivial ways to construct them I don't believe will work. I AM aware of two ideas that SHOULD work but both are quite complicated. And the basic idea behind BOTH of the ideas I'm thinking of have been used by Oskar... though I haven't yet discussed this with him. If no one else can think of ANY way to make it I'll reveal the two ideas that I think should be able to pull it off. One I'm about 95% certain would work... the other less so, but I do think with a large enough 3x3x3 it would work. I'm hoping for a solution which would work in a typical size 3x3x3 cube.

Actually... the 95% certain way I really should change to 100%. Basically I've already built such a puzzle just minus the circle parts. And yes... I have shown that puzzle here. You just wouldn't recognize it as the face centers and corner pieces from a Slice-Turn only Circle 3x3x3.

The other method hasn't been tested (in full) and its beyond my skill level in Solidworks... but I have a very good reason to believe Oskar could pull it off. But I think it would likely result in a very large 3x3x3. And its not a mechanism that has been used in a twisty puzzle before so it would be a fairly large step off into the unknown. Those are normally the exact type of steps I like to take but in this case I'd really like to rule out something simplier or more traditional before going there.

As far as connecting circle parts on opposite faces... all I can say is try it. That would just be more pieces going through the center of the puzzle where the connection point of the corners and opposite face centers is already fighting for space.

Carl