Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stickering Technique Idea
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:31 pm 

After seeing Tony Fisher's Open Petaminx puzzle, I thought of something. Since stickering the inside of an open puzzle is possible, it's also possible to sticker the inside of a puzzle with a fully inclosed core (ie, original Petaminx) Of course, stickering the inside of a puzzle with a fully inclosed core would be pointless, for no one could see what was going on inside. However, suppose someone made a clear Petaminx. Then, it could be stickered from the inside. Using standard, opaque, stickers wouldn't be effective, you couldn't look into the puzzle. Here's my idea: Have you ever seen a one way mirror? They allow you to see through in one direction, but not the other. What if a type of sticker was made that allowed you to look into the puzzle and see all the other colors? I think this is a good idea, but I'm not sure if the injection molding lines would interfere with the view, or if stickers like that are possible to make.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rubikscuber1

Post subject: Re: Stickering Technique Idea
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:48 pm 

Unfortunately one way mirrors do not exist. The principle of a "one way" mirror is that you have a piece of glass that is partially reflective. If you then look from a dimly lit room through this glass to a very brightly lit room then the light from the bright room will pass through the glass and wash out your own reflection. On the other side of the glass, the reflected light from the bright room washes out the dim light coming through from the other side, giving the impression of a mirror.
So if you were to apply this to a puzzle then you would just need to use transparent stickers.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

Post subject: Re: Stickering Technique Idea
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:56 pm 

TomZ wrote:
Unfortunately one way mirrors do not exist. The principle of a "one way" mirror is that you have a piece of glass that is partially reflective. If you then look from a dimly lit room through this glass to a very brightly lit room then the light from the bright room will pass through the glass and wash out your own reflection. On the other side of the glass, the reflected light from the bright room washes out the dim light coming through from the other side, giving the impression of a mirror.
So if you were to apply this to a puzzle then you would just need to use transparent stickers.

oh ok, that makes sense. It's to bad "one way" mirrors only work in dark conditions. It would've been really neat.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rubikscuber1