Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need Advice on Puzzle-Building
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:11 pm 

I am trying to build a second Mastermorphix. I am using the tips from a Magic Triangle. I need some expert advice on how might be the best way to attach the tips to the cube corners. I see at least three options: 1. Some kind of glue - what kind? I don't know a glue that is strong enough. 2. Weld it like Ton does with Square-1 mods. I don't know if the Magic Triangle plastic can be welded. and 3. Epoxy putty like Milliput. Milliput will make it heavy. Maybe there is a 4th option: fill the space with some kind of resin. What kind of resin will bond? I need some advice. Here is a photo so you can see the seam I am trying to make.

Attachments:
seam.JPG
seam.JPG [ 36.17 KiB | Viewed 1393 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:52 pm 

In this case I would use a little bit of putty, test fit it , let it dry a bit and glue it with super glue

But I gues the glue than Duan Cash uses might be perfect

The melding is not to replace glue , just to full caps, also in this case this might be usefull

Ton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:42 pm 

If you go with the reson idea, drill some holes into the corner cube and the inside cavity of the triangle cap. The resin will harden and act as a plug, holding the pieces together.

Milliput is great for get the surfaces smooth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:38 pm 

Here was my method:

Instead of cutting the triangle tip I cut the corner piece instead. By using a "genuine" cube I retained the little cap that fits over the hollow part of the cube so I secured that down with superglue so it would make for one "solid" corner piece to work with.

Next I made sure that the two pieces of the triangle were fit together nice and snug before joining the triangle parts to each other with superglue. I found that the triangle parts can be slightly misaligned or not properly joined together, hence the extra care.

I found that shaping the corner piece to fit up against the triangle piece required less messy work than cutting the triangle piece to accept a whole corner piece. (this last sentence edited for clarity)

After shaping the corner piece it forms a "cup" which I completely filled with a 2 part epoxy (clear, 4-6 minute set, 1000psi). It's not as strong as the 3500 psi stuff that Duane works with but seriously, with so much surface area involved that's being joined I found very little need to look for something more exotic. A tiny bit of "overflow" will usually ooze out of the "cup" when it's joined to the triangle (make sure it's held upright for 5-10 minutes) but that overflow helps fill in cracks and help with the bond. Plus it's easy to scrape off any excess after about 20 minutes with a blade when it's still soft but not sticky.

I also found that if two epoxied pieces ever did come apart, rather than trying to epoxy again I used a little superglue. I'm not sure what it is, but superglue on a dry epoxy surface sets almost instantaneously (we're talking 1/4 a second or less) and forms an extremely strong bond between the epoxy and the puzzle plastic.

I COULD use a 2500 psi 2 part epoxy that I have that sets in 30 minutes, but there's no need to take that much more Time for a strong bond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:08 am 

For all of you who are making a mastermorphyx puzzle, I would love to see some work in progress pictures and pictures of the individual pieces. Do you start with basically a half truncated cube and build it up from there? I have one old picture from Carter that I think is posted on her site. This is one of the next customs that I would like to work on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:29 pm 

Thanks for the great responses! I might need to test all these ideas. Dodd, I will post photos soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:18 am 

Dodd wrote:
For all of you who are making a mastermorphyx puzzle, I would love to see some work in progress pictures and pictures of the individual pieces. Do you start with basically a half truncated cube and build it up from there? I have one old picture from Carter that I think is posted on her site. This is one of the next customs that I would like to work on.

I second Dodd. This is a puzzle I'm very interested in building, and any ideas would be extremely helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:31 am 

I too would like to see some construction pics, I love how this puzzle changes shape, i could play with it all day, if i hade one... :shock:
jake