Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trouble uploading to shapeways. Please help.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:21 pm 

Hi,

I have completed the design for my first puzzle, and I have been having a lot of difficulty uploading it to Shapeways. I have Solidworks 2011-2012 Student Edition. One of the files uploaded successfully. However, in the email they said that they rescaled it because it was too small for their printers. Now, the dimensions are absurd. The other file always gives them an error message. I have tried uploading it as an stl, wrl, and obj file. They suggested opening it in Meshlab and saving it as an stl, but I can't even open a sldprt in Meshlab. I tried the add-in that is supposed to allow you to upload to Shapeways directly from Solidworks, but it wouldn't install correctly. Has anyone else had these problems before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Trouble uploading to shapeways. Please help.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:33 pm 

I guess they meant you should open the STL-file from SolidWorks with Meshlab, correct it and save it as an STL-file again.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 am 

Hi Adam,

* For your first model: when it's too small (how small exactly?) for the Shapeways' printers, then of course you should scale it (somewhat) up in Solidworks and save it as STL (or other format) again.

* For the other file, there are some practical ways to test the model (see also the 3D modeling tips):
- check for 'strange' areas / difficult features in your model
- save a separate file without all such features and save this 'basic model' as STL
- upload this STL file to Shapeways and see whether the automatic check accepts this: if not, your basic model is already 'corrupt' (then: suppress other features also). If it is accepted: continu to build up your complete model step-by-step and save several stages as STL. And test the STL files at Shapeways.

This will cost some trial-and-error, but in the end will learn you exactly where the error arose. I think it's better than trying to remodel/correct a weak STL file in another program (MeshLab) than SolidWorks.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your design,

Splinter

- just uploaded (without problems) my 8.3 w x 17.18 d x 5.5 h cm^3 new design at Shapeways yesterday. Hope this first original STL of mine indeed results in something good -

PS If you like to, you can also upload an image from your SolidWorks model in a message at this forum. I'm sure some members can spot any faults/difficulties in relation to the printing.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:39 am 

Export an stl file from Solidworks, making sure that you have set the units of measurement correctly. When you unload this file to Shapeways you have to tell them the units again, maybe this is why there was a problem before.

I use Meshlab and netfabb basic (both free) to check my stl files and fix them if necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:12 pm 

Thanks, I will try the trial and error process. I am considering redesigning it from scratch. I have successfully uploaded another puzzle design. Hopefully I will be able to release it in a few weeks.