Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Autism Awareness Puzzle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:03 pm 

Welcome to autism awareness month! April 2nd was autism awareness day, and April is autism awareness month, which has lead to many fundraising events in hopes to better study, learn, and treat the individuals with this condition and educate the society that cares for them.

From the Autism Speaks website: The CDC estimate of autism prevalence in the United States is 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls). This is more children than are affected by diabetes, AIDS, cancer, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy or Down syndrome – combined. :shock:

This represents a 78% increase in autism over the previous five years, representing a ten-fold (1,000%) increase in reported prevalence over the last four decades. :cry:

So...what does this have to do with twisty puzzles?

In recognition of this, what I'm looking to subsidize/support is a puzzle made in the shape of Autism Speak's symbol. This is a blue puzzle piece, which you can see on it's website: http://www.autismspeaks.org/
On the home page, it's the blue puzzle piece symbol at the top left corner.

I envision a 3x3x3 or a 3x3x2 mod, or a 3D printed puzzle, kind of like the star, and heart cube. Let me know if interested, as I will handle all the cost in producing the puzzle, including the time it took to plan it, as well as any and all material costs.
So shine those blue lights! :D

uh, by the way, not to be too repetitive, er, how do I put this...WHERE IS MY TRANSFORMER CUBE!!!!
(hmm, did I come on too strong with that?)

Post subject: Re: Autism Awareness Puzzle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm 

I could see 3 things: a flopy in the shape of the puzzle piece, or one with the full logo on it, or a 3x3 with one side being the flat piece, and then the piece is stretched out to resemble a cylinder, if thet makes any sense. but I would gladly buy a puzzle like this! Maybe get Oliver to sell custom stickers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:39 pm 

I think the floppy could work well. Depending how it is made, a 2x3x3 could have all unique pieces as well. As far as ease of production, extensions for a 2x2x2 like these would be quite simple to produce and would still have unique pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 pm 

RubiksMaster614 wrote:
I could see 3 things: a flopy in the shape of the puzzle piece, or one with the full logo on it, or a 3x3 with one side being the flat piece, and then the piece is stretched out to resemble a cylinder, if thet makes any sense

Very good thoughts! The floppy would be a good, simple puzzle that anyone can buy and solve and act as good advertisement. The 3x3 mod is desirable because it lends more of a "supercube" challenge, if challenge is what we're looking for.
Jack Lopez wrote:
Depending how it is made, a 2x3x3 could have all unique pieces as well. As far as ease of production, extensions for a 2x2x2 like these would be quite simple to produce and would still have unique pieces.

Ha! I love it! :D Fantastic idea, and exactly what I had in mind! Perhaps a series of puzzles ranging from floppy to 3x3x2 to 2x2x2 mod to 3x3x3 mod.

By the way, I'm not limited to one puzzle. I will gladly support any number of people who wish to participate. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:23 am 

I have no 3d design software, and I can't cut stickers to save my life, I am good at making designs for stickers. I would gladly help with that, if needed. I also like the idea of a group of puzzles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 pm 

Hmm :| ....

Last edited by Drake on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:58 pm 

No. As you can see from my signature, I do not support Autism Speaks. I, as an Aspie myself, would be offended to be called a "puzzle" in more than one way, and have that done so by my fellow puzzlers. I like my Autism.

To put it simply, I do not wish to see this puzzle produced.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:33 pm 

RubiksMaster614 wrote:
I have no 3d design software, and I can't cut stickers to save my life, I am good at making designs for stickers. I would gladly help with that, if needed. I also like the idea of a group of puzzles.

Thanks for your support, and I look forward to making use of your skills :)
Jorbs3210 wrote:
No. As you can see from my signature, I do not support Autism Speaks. I, as an Aspie myself, would be offended to be called a "puzzle" in more than one way, and have that done so by my fellow puzzlers. I like my Autism.

To put it simply, I do not wish to see this puzzle produced.

I think your quote is great, but there needs also to be the recognition that autism is a spectrum disorder and you are very high functioning. I know of, unfortunately first hand, many who cannot and never will speak for themselves, and who's outlook has been very dismal until organizations such as this came about. Spend some time with the autistic children who are nonverbal, nonfunctioning, scared, and locked in. Those without community resources to pull themselves out of their situation and are doomed to a marginal life. I am very glad you have the cognitive capacity and the mental connections that you do, but you obviously cannot, and are not, speaking for them.

The puzzle is not meant to insult those who are high functioning, but I find it equally offensive that there is not the insight, awareness, or the perspective from those who would fight the support for autistic children with much more severe symptoms; much less not attempt to assist, raise awareness, or help those who truly need it. But, we all have our different perspectives, and we all have our different goals.

You're free to serve yours, and I will serve those of my family and loved ones that are afflicted far more severely then you obviously understand, and will continue to fight that lack of understanding.

I am truly grateful to those who have contacted me with offers to help :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:53 pm 

It's not that I don't want to see this puzzle produced, it's just that I don't want this puzzle to be linked with Autism Speaks in any way.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 pm 

Jorbs3210 wrote:
it's just that I don't want this puzzle to be linked with Autism Speaks in any way.

Ah, I see. Well, I have no affiliation to Autism Speaks in any way, and the puzzle piece, to my understanding, is really a general symbol used throughout the community and various autism advocate websites to represent autism awareness. My pointing to the site was for a quick reference to what the puzzle piece looks like, but you can google "autism awareness" too, and get to the same thing.
No specific affiliations or linking is intended in any way :)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:23 pm 

After weeks of planning, I finally have a finished product! Once again, this forum and it's brilliant members have risen to my challenge and surpassed anything that I could have hoped for.
Specifically, xGATOxMALOx produced 3 versions of the puzzle, based on varying thickness. All were printed from shapeways, dyed with blue RIT dye, and glued onto a mini 2x2 bought from the shapeways shop.

The puzzle shape is a general symbol used by many sites and organization to symbolize autism awareness, which severely afflicts many children. It does not advocate any specific organization, and has become a broad symbol of awareness across the globe, much like the pink ribbon has become the symbol for breast cancer. Knowing some of the controversy surrounding Autism Speaks, and in my want to support those who have a legitamate complaint against them, I do not intend to associate this with any specific organization that may have any antagonistic policies to the very people I wish to support, including the brilliant Aspergerian members of this forum :)

There are a lot of myths and misconceptions regarding the condition, and I hope to move the discussion and awareness in a positive direction.

They are all fully functional 2x2 puzzles that shapeshift as they scramble.
Attachment:
File comment: Solved
DSC00244.JPG
DSC00244.JPG [ 893.88 KiB | Viewed 2542 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 90 degree turn
DSC00246.JPG
DSC00246.JPG [ 871.37 KiB | Viewed 2542 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Fully scrambled
DSC00248.JPG
DSC00248.JPG [ 888.57 KiB | Viewed 2542 times ]

The puzzle on the far left is the one with the least thickness to see how we could minimize the cost, the middle with a little more density, and the one at the far right (my favorite one!) with the most thickness. I'm still trying to decide which would be the best, although I'm pretty partial to the one with the most thickness.

I am very grateful to xGATOxMALOx for doing a perfect job in making this puzzle a reality. Now, lets see how I can use this to increase awareness of the condition which can effect kids in a variety of different severities. What better way to do this then demonstrate a cool twisty puzzle :)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:28 pm 

Wow they came out great and I have a few ideas on how I could improve the mechanism for ease of use.

I guess if you want a cool Jigsaw piece extension for a mini Rubik's cube 24mm x 24mm than check them out here http://www.shapeways.com/shops/xgatoxmalox and buy yourself a cube as well to glue the pieces on.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:30 am 

Just to make sure: You do not intend to sticker it?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 am 

Now I want to see an actual jigsaw puzzle made of multiple cubes...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:

I think it this point I was going to just keep it dyed blue, but I'm very open to suggestion

Jared wrote:
Now I want to see an actual jigsaw puzzle made of multiple cubes...

Ha! Now that's thinking big :) I've got the perfect name for it, the Voltron! Did anyone catch my 1980's cartoon reference? Speaking of 1980's cartoons, WHERE IS MY TRANSFORMERS PUZZLE??

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:51 am 

Doctor who wrote:
Andreas Nortmann wrote:

I think it this point I was going to just keep it dyed blue, but I'm very open to suggestion
No suggestions. I just wanted to make sure that I can edit these images.