Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: More then meets the eye
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 pm 

After acquiring Gus' inspired and brilliantly made TARDIS cube, I had figured that having achieved my cube desires, that my collection days are over, and can officially retire from ravenously scavenging for more puzzles. And then I decided upon my next obsession. To all you talented puzzle builders out there, here is my next challenge:
Is it possible to design what I would call a "transformers" puzzle. This is a puzzle who's goal is not to take it from a scrambled to a solved state, but from one solved state to another solved state with a very different form or shape.
Not unlike the Transformers toys that transform from a vehicle to a robot, I'm wondering if a twisty puzzle can be designed to do that too.
The scrambled state would only be a transition between two solved states.
Whether it solves from vehicle to robot, apple to chair, or lobster to certified public accountant, the choice is yours!
Now that it's in your head, lets see what you can do with it!
Allons-Y!

Post subject: Re: More then meets the eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:25 am 

are you serious? are you already done?

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:06 am 

Something like this?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11824

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:14 am 

Sigurd wrote:
are you serious? are you already done?

Oh, but if I only had that kind of talent :lol:
Volitar Prime wrote:
Something like this?

Something like this?

That's a very intriguing and fascinating variation of what I'm talking about, as you can tell when you have achieved both solved states. Great research! I'm really refering to something maybe more elaborate, where both solved states are in a recognizable, and different shape, like the Transformer's toys (car to robot, e.t.c.).
However, that is the closest that I've seen to what I'm talking about! Strong work!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 pm 

You mean a solved state as a cube, and then another solved state as something like a dodecahedron, within the same puzzle? The possibility seems unlikely without maybe the ability for pieces to turn inside-out, the way I'm thinking of it.

Sounds something like a 3d tangram, but with the pieces in fixed positions on a puzzle, I don't know if it'd be possible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:34 pm 

So are you thinking of a 3D version of planar dissections like these?

<edit> And thisis an interesting read.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:28 pm 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... solved.jpg :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:30 pm 

Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
You mean a solved state as a cube, and then another solved state as something like a dodecahedron, within the same puzzle? The possibility seems unlikely without maybe the ability for pieces to turn inside-out, the way I'm thinking of it.

And that's exactly what I like to see, the "way you're thinking of it" :) As Ola once told me, its up to the universe to dictate what's possible in design, we just ask it permission. Perhaps the key is having the outside pieces able to move independent of the internal movement, and fit inside or smoothly along side groves and holes in the other outside pieces to complete the other solved state, kind of like the transformer toys.
Remember, we once thought the same thing about the 5x5x5 cube until Verdes showed us otherwise :)
Gus wrote:

That is moving exactly in the right direction! I could think of no better venue to pose this challenge then here, where quick minds like this can slowely go through the process of finding a process to make it happen. Somewhere between solving the twisty puzzle aspect to line it up for the next shape, and then do the external movement allowed in the pieces to make it into the next shape is where the answer may be. Now if we can go from vehicle to robot, or something similar, then we've got it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:42 pm 

oBNoo wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Rubiksmagic_solved.jpg :wink:

You beat me to it though I guess it's not really twisty.

I've had the same idea for some time. There's that other foldy thing that can be a cube or a rhombic dodecahedron. Making a twisty version would satisfy our desires.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:55 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I've had the same idea for some time. There's that other foldy thing that can be a cube or a rhombic dodecahedron. Making a twisty version would satisfy our desires.

That's exactly correct, and you hit the nail right on the head. Nothing against the jigsaw or foldy puzzles, my first love has always been the twisty kind!
Now that I see that Gus, inspired creator of the TARDIS cube, as well as the brilliant and prolific mind of Fisher is thinking about the case, I know it's as good as done!
I haven't been this excited since the time a truck of Jelly Babies broke down in front of my house!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 pm 

I started to write a reply to this but it's so far off topic I ended up posting here- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:05 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I started to write a reply to this but it's so far off topic I ended up posting here- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23234

Upon reading your post, Tony, I find it is not off top it all but quite on point. One of the reasons that I post and bring up these challenges in puzzle designing is to encourage people to use techniques of problem solving to find the answer. You're views in meeting a challenge in order to come up with a solution is a skill worth sharing, and exactly my goals of this threads like these.
Even if the puzzle isn't exactly what I had in mind, what might be born from it might still be something incredible just the same.
I thank you for sharing your perspective and I believe I speak for everyone when I say we would love to see a lot more of that :)