Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Late 2011 Puzzle Builds - Josh B
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 pm 

I am not as frequent of a visitor of the forum lately, but I've had a little free time to make a few puzzles in the last few months. I've been able to get a few FDM prints from a professor, which is the main reason I've made these. I've also made a few more mini 2x2 Shapeway's puzzles. I like these because they're about $20~25 and still offer a challenge. Thank you all for your support in the past, and I hope to keep making puzzles, if only sporadically.

The first one is similar to another puzzle I've made and is basically a "slice" dodecahedron. I've also included a smaller version of the Josh's 2x2, which I find more pleasantly sized.

The second one has been done before, but it interested my professor the most so it got me a free FDM print.

I apologize in advance for the large size of the pictures. I'd be glad to link to an online album to save space if need be. I'd also be glad to make videos if anyone is interested. Thanks again.

-Josh B

Post subject: Re: Late 2011 Puzzle Builds - Josh B
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 am 

Hi,

have you ever presented such a "slice dodecahedron"?
The only somewhat similar variant I know is this one:
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=2426

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:13 pm 

Andreas,

This is my first showing of this dodecahedron puzzle, and I agree that it strongly resembles the one you linked to in the database.

This puzzle is similar to the rhombic dodecahedron 2x2 puzzle I made a while back (Video Link) in that it is "sliced" by rotating the cuts 90 degrees about an edge. My favorite part about them is the fact that doing this causes one of the puzzle's cuts to be through a few of it's edges. For the RD it goes through four edges, and for this puzzle it goes through two.

I have been wanting to complete the series of mini 2x2 puzzles for a while, so I got it printed by Shapeways a few months back. I have actually since gotten a solid print of the Slice RD so that I may make some copies without having to buy them from Shapeways. If time permits, I may be able to sell a few on the forum or on eBay. I'd also like to make a icosahedron version as well, and I have a few ideas on how to cut it. I'm just working on finishing school, getting a job, and getting married too! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm 

Awesome puzzle Josh! Is this one going on Shapeways? I would love to see it on there, I was meaning to buy the Slice RD and Josh's 2x2x2 a couple of months back.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 pm 

Thank you Luke. :D

I can certainly get them set up for Shapeways. They are already uploaded to it, so it shouldn't be too much to get them set up to sell. They are all around ~$25, so that's not too bad. I'll get it set up in the next few days so that anyone can order them if they'd like.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 pm 

It should now be available at This Link

Thanks.