Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and make
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:21 pm
Right, so I've just been having a little think recently about some puzzles I think it would be great if they were to get mass produced or just built. And frankly, I'm very lazy, so I thought I'd just tell them here so all the talented puzzle makers can try to if they feel so inclined.

Trignis Octahedron- The Magic octahedron, in terms of how it is solved (as well as the mechanism) could be considered an extension of the pyraminx. As is the trignis. So Apply the trignises changes to the Magic Octahedron.

Professor octahedron- Same idea, make an eight sided version of the Professor Pyraminx in the same way that the magic octahedron is an eight sided version of the pyraminx.

3x3 Gear Shift- I admit to thinking very little about this one, and I don't really even know if it would be possible. Basically, if you consider the current gear shift to be 2x2, then... you know.

3x3x5 MegaMinx- This is based on the principle in the cube4you 3x3x5. Have each of the pieces on 6 of the twelve sides cut in half in this way. So solving it would involve first doing a megaminx solve, and then turning the top parts of the 6 sides which have been cut in half.

3x3x2/3x2x2/3x2x1- This is less of a puzzle I think would be fun, and more of a design challenge I suppose. The idea is that you start with a fully functioning 3x3x2 cube, but you can then pull it apart (similar to the gear shift) into a 3x2x2 and a 3x2x1, both of which are fully functioning.

4x4x6- I think this may have been made already, but I'm not sure. Similar to the cube4you 3x3x5, but applied to the 4x4x4, pretty simple.

4x4x8- Not really another idea. Just the logical extension of the 4x4x6 thing.

Right, so those are my ideas. I have no intention of making any of these, as I have not even dabbled into making a puzzle mod yet and would not come close to doing these. So I encourage you sincerely to take these ideas, and do what you will with them. Sorry for long post! Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: United States
These are some great ideas! I've been thinking about the possibility of a proffesor octahedron for awhile.

_________________
-Thomas

Quote:
May the dolphins spread the word to the rest of Gaia


Pyraminx PB: 9.42 secs
3x3 PB: 34.77 secs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:21 pm
TGCubes wrote:
These are some great ideas! I've been thinking about the possibility of a proffesor octahedron for awhile.


Hey thanks! Sorry if I outed your great idea :). I've been thinking it might be difficult though, because the professor pyraminx has centers. It might be easier with a 4 layer pyraminx equivalent


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: United States
Or 6 layers :mrgreen: the master octahedron's already been invented.

_________________
-Thomas

Quote:
May the dolphins spread the word to the rest of Gaia


Pyraminx PB: 9.42 secs
3x3 PB: 34.77 secs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
I've had the idea of a Megaminx cuboid for a bit now (I'm sure many others have as well), but your implementation makes much more sense than my idea. Well done.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 38.9 seconds
Well, I accumulated puzzles without even trying this Christmas. Whoops.
(Bermuda 8 planets, Rex Cube, Master Skewb, London Natural History Museum keychain 2x2x2, Impossiball)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
TomZ has already built a 4x4x6, it's on his shapeways shop:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21601&hilit=4x4x6

It's pretty darned awesome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:47 am
Location: near Utrecht, Netherlands
Just to be clear, I was not the first to make a 4x4x6. That was Tony Fisher.

_________________
Tom's Shapeways Puzzle Shop - your order from my shop includes free stickers!
Tom's Puzzle Website


Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Mississippi
Wouldn't the megaminx idea basically be a bandaged gigaminx? I can't quite picture it.

_________________
Space for rent


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
nice ideas! I too have been thinking about the professor octahedron. :)

you can make a cuboid megaminx by attaching extensions to a crazy planet megaminx on desired faces.

I think what you are looking for though is to keep the dodecahedron shape and therefore simply cut the cubies in half.
A cross between a gigaminx and a megaminx. not too hard to design.

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
I believe it would work best with black plastic.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:03 am
Location: Koblenz, Germany
Moocher2121 wrote:
3x3x5 MegaMinx- This is based on the principle in the cube4you 3x3x5. Have each of the pieces on 6 of the twelve sides cut in half in this way. So solving it would involve first doing a megaminx solve, and then turning the top parts of the 6 sides which have been cut in half.
jabeck wrote:
Wouldn't the megaminx idea basically be a bandaged gigaminx? I can't quite picture it.
I think jabeck is right. It would behave like a bandaged puzzle, not like a cuboid independent from which 6 (out of 12) sides you cut in halve.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
I have no problem with the principle of sharing ideas for others to design and make (though I know some do), but I must say the title of this thread bugs me. Using words like "steal" and "ideas of mine" (whether joke or not) is a bit cheeky considering that you have not even figured out *how* to make them, while many are obvious extensions that I am sure many people have already thought of, and some have even been made. Being "too lazy" to make a puzzle is one thing, but being too lazy to check if people have already made them and still claiming them as your own ideas for others to "steal" is a bit off, don't you think? :|

Still, some of the ideas you share here are quite novel and interesting, so I don't want to detract from that, but please change the title to something like "Have these been made before?". :wink:

In any case, I don't think anyone can really claim to own an idea unless and until they have reduced it to practice, otherwise it's like saying "I thought of the idea of making cheap energy" and claiming that anyone who figures out how to do it has stolen my idea. Even the patent system requires that ideas must be reduced to practice before anyone can own them.

As Thomas Edison once said: "Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration".

And perhaps more importantly, people will be more likely to make these puzzles if they feel that you are not claiming any ownership, so that they can adopt the idea as their own with all the passion they will need to bring their baby into the real world. Nobody wants to raise somebody else's child, if it could later be claimed back as "stolen".

Just my two cents. :D

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
As for the Megaminx cuboid... it's easy to make! (Even I could do it, if I had the money.)

1. Acquire Gigaminx.
2. Bandage it with glue except on the two opposite sides you want to remain free. On all other sides, it is effectively a Megaminx.
3. Sticker it. I have no idea how, though... you could either cut your own, do some weird Cubesmith Gigaminx sticker extension, get giant Megaminx stickers, break down into a gibbering mess and order them from someone online...

That should work.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 38.9 seconds
Well, I accumulated puzzles without even trying this Christmas. Whoops.
(Bermuda 8 planets, Rex Cube, Master Skewb, London Natural History Museum keychain 2x2x2, Impossiball)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am
I don't really see how the megaminx cuboid....er...dodecoid would be practical. It would a huge pain to scramble the split bottom and top layers.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
oBNoo wrote:
I don't really see how the megaminx cuboid....er...dodecoid would be practical. It would a huge pain to scramble the split bottom and top layers.

It would seem like fake difficulty, I guess. Although isn't the AI 4x4x4 also really tedious?

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 38.9 seconds
Well, I accumulated puzzles without even trying this Christmas. Whoops.
(Bermuda 8 planets, Rex Cube, Master Skewb, London Natural History Museum keychain 2x2x2, Impossiball)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Ideas of Mine which I encourage you to steal and ma
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:21 pm
KelvinS wrote:
I have no problem with the principle of sharing ideas for others to design and make (though I know some do), but I must say the title of this thread bugs me. Using words like "steal" and "ideas of mine" (whether joke or not) is a bit cheeky considering that you have not even figured out *how* to make them, while many are obvious extensions that I am sure many people have already thought of, and some have even been made. Being "too lazy" to make a puzzle is one thing, but being too lazy to check if people have already made them and still claiming them as your own ideas for others to "steal" is a bit off, don't you think? :|

Still, some of the ideas you share here are quite novel and interesting, so I don't want to detract from that, but please change the title to something like "Have these been made before?". :wink:

In any case, I don't think anyone can really claim to own an idea unless and until they have reduced it to practice, otherwise it's like saying "I thought of the idea of making cheap energy" and claiming that anyone who figures out how to do it has stolen my idea. Even the patent system requires that ideas must be reduced to practice before anyone can own them.

As Thomas Edison once said: "Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration".

And perhaps more importantly, people will be more likely to make these puzzles if they feel that you are not claiming any ownership, so that they can adopt the idea as their own with all the passion they will need to bring their baby into the real world. Nobody wants to raise somebody else's child, if it could later be claimed back as "stolen".

Just my two cents. :D



What I'll say is that these are actually my ideas for puzzles, as I had not heard of anyone else making these puzzles. Now obviously anyone who has built one or actually thought about how they would be made more than I has a greater claim to them, and I certainly won't protest if someone were to make one of these stating it was their idea from the beginning (which it probably was). And as far "steal", I just thought that it might be a bit a amusing to say "I encourage you to steal". Of course what I really mean is "make". If anybody makes these puzzles because you saw this thread I don't request to be credited at all, I'd simply be happy that these puzzles came into existence.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group