Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How Do You Make Various Cubes?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:50 pm 

How Are Skewbs made? How Do You make pieces for custom cubes? does it depend on how you make it how the cube turns? Please explain this for i want to make my own custom cube with a whole new design not thought of by anyone... thanks a lot

Post subject: Re: How Do You Make Various Cubes?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:58 pm 

Your questions reveal you've done little of your own research. It's always a good idea to read up on the forums because many of these topics have been covered before.

Have a look at this for your skewb question: http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=658 - A skewb is made by using a 4-armed core. It's a shortcut way to skip a full shells mechanism and this can be done because 4 corners are always in the same position relative to each other.

Some puzzles are made by hand and there are plenty of ways to do that. If your puzzle is more complicated and can't be based of an existing one, then usually CAD (Computer Aided Design) is used to make them. First, the puzzle pieces are designed in a CAD program like SolidWorks. They are then 3D printed by a company called Shapeways. You simply send them the 3D Model (STL file) and they will produce the pieces as you've designed them and send you them.
Unfortunately CAD is hard to learn (1-2 years) and 3D printing is expensive (upwards of $150 for one puzzle).

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:01 pm 

So people like Tony Fisher or Drewseth Just Make Designs and send them to shapeways? And I have a skewb, I just don't have a good visual on how to make a cube turn side ways or skewed like a skewb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:06 pm 

No. Tony Fisher is somebody who builds puzzles by hand. He takes for instance a Skewb and transforms it in to an Icoahedron, building the pieces by hand using plastic card and resin.
Drewseph made most of his puzzles by having master pieces 3D printed, which he then duplicated by making a rubber mold from them, casting resin pieces from that mold.
However, recently (in the past year or so) Shapeways has made 3D printing much less expensive so the casting technique has been deprecated. It is more common nowadays to print all of the pieces for a puzzle.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:35 pm 

The best way to get an idea of how a puzzle turns is to take it apart. A skewb is very easy to take apart and put back together. Turn a side so that two of the square pieces are next to eachother, and then pry one of them up and off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:09 pm 

oBNoo wrote:
The best way to get an idea of how a puzzle turns is to take it apart. A skewb is very easy to take apart and put back together. Turn a side so that two of the square pieces are next to eachother, and then pry one of them up and off.

Agreed. Take apart every puzzle you have and learn how they work and you'll see what you need to know much better than how anyone would be able to describe it. Take a look at pictures or videos like these or posts like these. Remember that this stuff isn't magic, it's engineering, and in engineering, there are many ways to approach the same problem, in this case, a physical design.