Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another mod idea. This one hasn't been done before, honestly
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:12 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
(I'm not sure what forum to put this in, so it's here. if anyone wants to buy it, I'll make a new Marketplace thread.)

All right. This is a mod idea that I could actually do (and sell), and much Googling has revealed... nothing! That's right, it's my idea and nobody else has made it before (to the best of my knowledge).

It is a Gear Cube Extreme mod where six non-geared edges are in different places (3 around a corner, and 3 more around the opposite corner). There is a terribly edited image attached to this post so you can see how this would look.

I am very willing to make and sell one of these, but I don't want to buy two Gear Cube Extremes to make this if nobody will want to buy it. So, please PM me if you are willing to buy a puzzle like this for $50 or more, and I'll buy the materials and assemble it as fast as I can.

If enough people are interested, I'll auction it off on eBay. If only one person wants it, it's yours! (Although I'll wait about a week before shipping, in case anyone else wants it and hasn't contacted me yet.)

Additional details:
It will come with Cubesmith stickers. Please notify me if you want the additional gear-teeth to be stickered or not. Also, once the two Gear Cube Extremes arrive, I'll use the spare parts to make myself a normal Gear Cube. Oh, and it will come in white plastic, so keep this in mind (I know some people don't buy anything in white plastic).

All right. Thank you for reading.

Attachments:
File comment: A badly edited image.
gearmodthing.PNG
gearmodthing.PNG [ 174.98 KiB | Viewed 1342 times ]

Post subject: Re: Another mod idea. This one hasn't been done before, hone
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 pm 

Well, I'm not sure if you've seen this, but it's pretty much the same thing with a few gears in different spots. I'm not sure if it differs much from a solving perspective. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79p9vfqsquE

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:23 pm 

Kapusta wrote:
Well, I'm not sure if you've seen this, but it's pretty much the same thing with a few gears in different spots. I'm not sure if it differs much from a solving perspective. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79p9vfqsquE

The number of gears is different, though: this would have 6 gears and that has 8.

Also, Even Less Gears offers planes of movement where quarter-turns are allowed - I'm not sure if this one can. Even then, the solved states are quite different in placement (and remember you can only do half-turns at the beginning, so the non-geared edges may never line up into one slice. I'm not too sure).

It may be similar, but there seem to be many differences.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 pm 

After some shoddy mental visualization, I've determined that the non-geared edges will change position (that should have been fairly obvious...).

So, it will be more interesting than just a Gear Cube with some edges that don't need to be oriented :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 pm 

I like the concept but I recommend actually making the puzzle and seeing how this actually turns out before announcing any plans to sell it. At least, this is what makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:41 pm 

Ender Delphiki wrote:
I like the concept but I recommend actually making the puzzle and seeing how this actually turns out before announcing any plans to sell it. At least, this is what makes sense to me.

You're right. But spending $80 on something I may not be able to sell is a bit drastic for me - at my $7 a week allowance, $80 works out to be about 11 weeks! That's nearly three months of not being able to order puzzles (the horror!). So I'm just asking people if they would be interested in buying it for a price that allows me to make a small profit ($50 or above - I'll turn the leftovers into a Gear Cube which has a $36 value).

So, yeah. I'm asking ahead because I'm quite afraid it wouldn't sell.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:26 am 

In this variant there will always be at least one geared edge on every slice, so it will move exactly like a normal Gear Cube.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:20 pm 

Kapusta wrote:
Me and Bram are sure about the aswer: It is essentially identical to the original Gear Cube.
You might look again into this:
viewtopic.php?p=239636#p239636

Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:49 pm 

Well its a good concept.... could be made with a cube some sandpaper and a dab of superglue... maybe well see more official variations to this cube like we did with the crazy 3x3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 pm 

IlTallDude wrote:
Well its a good concept.... could be made with a cube some sandpaper and a dab of superglue... maybe well see more official variations to this cube like we did with the crazy 3x3

I thought it would work just as well with a simple piece-swap.

I'll try to find exciting other ways to arrange non-geared edges in the meantime.