Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Back after months, few new puzzles, and update questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:53 pm 

Hello everybody,
I tried to take a break from puzzle building to pursue other hobbies. Within a week after I decided to put a hold on puzzle building, I end up receiving something like 4 orders. Well, I couldn't refuse. 1x3x4, 1x4x4 and 2x4x4 are stickered by Oliver Nagy. Thorny cube being stickered with stickers from my local antique guns shop (why does a gun shop need a sticker plotter?), the tiny wings need to be super glued down to stay. Sadly, I broke one of the corners on my 5x5x6 stress testing it after I finished it ( :evil: ) and have to remake it.

Attachment:
5x5x6 and others.jpg
5x5x6 and others.jpg [ 430.46 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

I designed it up on Alibre and sent 3 corners to get printed by Shapeways. So when did Shapeways change their layout and wtf is up with the new "$6.50" shipping surcharge? Also, when did TP get spell check?
A few updates,
I am no longer offering 1x3x4's completed for $50 as they aren't profitable when I don't have a large batch of them.
I am offering 1x4x4's and 2x4x4's via private contact.
Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

Edit: On the same note about TP updates, why can't I remove this picture on the bottom called "5x5x6 break" and why can't I view the intended picture above called "5x5x6 and others"?

Attachments:
5x5x6 break.jpg
5x5x6 break.jpg [ 385.39 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

Post subject: Re: Back after months, few new puzzles, and update questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:41 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
How much for the 2x4x4 ?

I'll ask the same question, along with the 4x4x1. Out of curiosity for everyone's sake, will you stop selling the 1x3x4 altogther, or will you be increasing the price?

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 pm 

Thanks for the comments. I will continue to sell the 1x3x4's, but I can't afford to do it at the price of $50. When I offered the 1x3x4's for $50, I knew I would receive most of my market at that time. The market was 6 people if I can remember. With the new Shapeways pricing, this meant that 1 puzzle = puzzle cost (minus a little as it does register for the density discount) plus $1.50. 6 puzzles = $1.50 plus 1 puzzle at normal price plus 5 puzzles at half price (when I make an stl with 6 1x3x4's in it). That was how I was able to offer a completed puzzle at such a low price to the entire market (almost). However, I recently received an order for one more. I still acknowledged to old price, however, I made very little off of it for the work (stickers, dying, etc) that I had to put into it. So now pricing is on a contact me basis.

As for the other two puzzles (1x4x4, 2x4x4) I would like this to be on a contact me privately basis. This is for a few reasons:
1. I can trace about 80% of my sold collection to 3 people. I really appreciate their repeat buying. For this, and less extreme cases, I give some pricing discounts to people who are repeat buyers.
2. If it is a first printing (i.e. the design is unproven) then I have to ask almost twice as much as I normally would for the puzzle in the case I have to print a V2, however, it is not necessary to charge the same for the design after I know it works. Lets say that the puzzle cost X usd to print, sticker, etc. and I take a percentage Y for profit. The first person who buys the puzzle I might have to charge 2X+Y. Then, once it works, I would be able to come to TP and market it at X+Y. How does that make the first buyer feel?

For reasons similar to those above, I would like these puzzles to remain on a "contact me privately" basis.

Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:31 pm 

And where have you planned on writing "I have permission to sell 4x4x2 and 4x4x1"??
Because last time I checked you never got it from me.

You asked me long ago about the 1x3x4, but nothing on the others..

Swedish cuber/builder

my epic 1x2x5

My super awesome website :D
http://www.olzcubez.tk/ - down for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olz91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:06 pm 

olz wrote:
And where have you planned on writing "I have permission to sell 4x4x2 and 4x4x1"??
Because last time I checked you never got it from me.

You asked me long ago about the 1x3x4, but nothing on the others..

After a few pm's back and fourth it turned out that the 4x4x2 has no other similarity to mine exept beeing a 4x4x2.
However the 4x4x1 is to similar to mine for Steryne to sell it.

Swedish cuber/builder

my epic 1x2x5

My super awesome website :D
http://www.olzcubez.tk/ - down for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olz91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:15 pm 

Steryne wrote:
Thorny cube being stickered with stickers from my local antique guns shop (why does a gun shop need a sticker plotter?), the tiny wings need to be super glued down to stay.
Ahhh... haven't seen Thorny Cube in a while. I'd LOVE to see more pictures when its fully stickered and maybe a video. Curious to hear someone elses impression.

Thanks,
Carl