Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My first 3 ideas
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 am 

I am sorry for that i didnt know that were exist

Last edited by Thilo on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My first 3 ideas
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:24 pm 

Did you see the similarity in your second one and Eric's Pentagram?
And the third one and Sharon and Matthew's Icosacopter?

Did you choose to keep these extra pieces? I think the puzzles would be hard to design because of these.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:21 am 

Excuse me, but I don't think it is right that you're putting your name on these puzzles while you've done essentially no work on them at all. Other people might see this differently but for puzzles this obvious (face/corner turning platonic solid with planar cuts) I think the designer who comes up with the mechanism should be the one to do the naming.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:58 am 

Hello Thilo,

I see this is your first post so welcome to TwistyPuzzles. I like to think of this as a place where the exchange of ideas is encouraged but generally if you propose an idea at this stage with no work to show on the mechanism its more or less considered public domain. Let me share a story... years before I was active in the forums here, some time after the Dino cube came out, I had an idea for a cube that would look just like the Dino Cube except it would turn about an edge through the middle of the puzzle. Not having seen the idea before I even called it the Hoff Cube in a few circles as Rubik sort of set the presidence of naming the puzzle after yourself. Later on I learned this idea was already known as little chop and probably had been thought of by dozens all around the same time. It wasn't till years later that the.drizzle made the "Rua tekau ma-wha" or "The 24-Cube" here:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10842

I don't hear "Rua tekau ma-wha" that much any more but 24-Cube sure has stuck and there are certainly no hard feels this wasn't called the Hoff Cube. Even the puzzles I've designed since I have yet to stick my own name on. I think of this as a community and if you come at this with that attitude you'll do well and be welcome. Try to claim credit for something you shouldn't you'll likely step on a few toes. Personally I see your proposed names as just that... a proposal... which I think is fair. You might even be able to commision a puzzle designer to make on of these for you and allow you to present it. As long as you gave credit for the design I would see no harm in allowing you to name it. Or you can sort of go the way I have... slowly get into puzzle designing yourself. Its actually quite fun. I'm going to prsent a finished design tomorrow. Actually it was finished on the 6th but it will be sent to Shapeways for printing this weekend.

Anyways as you are new here I wanted you to be welcomed,
Carl