Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle building over the weekend
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:08 am 
Hello All,

I did some puzzle building over the weekend and just sent out the entire lot to Hessport's. It consisted of these items:

55 Rubik's Speedfusion Cubes
50 Rubik's Fusion Cubes
50 Rubik's Fusion+ Cubes
29 Rubik's Triamese Cubes
30 Rubik's 5x3 Cubes
50 Rubik's 4x3 Cubes

Interesting thing is that some of the stickers happened to be good vinyl stickers. I'm still building more through next week.

Here's some pictures of the products:

The 4x3's:

And a close-up:

The 5x3's:

And a close-up:

The SpeedFusions:

And a close-up:

The Fusion's:

And a close-up:

The Fusion+'s:

And a close-up:

The Triamese's:

And some close-ups:

I was averaging close to 100 puzzles a day. I was a fun weekend! I'll be doing it again this weekend. :)

Always Cubing,
Duane Cash
Rubix Corner

Post subject: Re: Puzzle building over the weekend
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:18 am 

Just curious, how long does it take you to make a puzzle? Assuming you work for 10 hours a day, that's 10 puzzles an hour so that's 6 minutes each!

That to me is outstanding (and possibly impossible!) I was just wondering how you manage to do them so quickly!

Chris

PS > Even if you were to work for 24 hours solid, that's still a little under 15 minutes a puzzle!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:07 am 

Hey Duane, those puzzles look great. How do they move? Do the 3x3x5s let you rotate the ends when they're complete? Are the 3x3x4s really centered around the exact center of the puzzle?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:10 am 

The more I look at these images the more impressed I am, I have triuble just putting stickers onto a normal 3x3x3 let alone messing around and building stuff like this!

Great stuff Duane and keep up the good work!

Chris

PS > I just heared that Drumond Park Toy Company are going to be the new UK distributors for the Rubik Puzzles. I was wondering if you were going to make some of these puzzles for them?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:18 am 
Nice work, must be some strong glue you use. I assume you use only glue to make the puzzles.

I wonder how many Hesssport customers think if is a fully functional 3x3x5.

Ton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:45 am 
I started Tuesday working probably about 10 hours a day - (I think your estimate was fairly accurate, Chris), although it seems that interruptions are prominent during this time.

I make the puzzles in stages now. This means I can create a bunch of pieces and connector that will work for each cube rapidly, almost in assembly fashion.

First, I make the proper connecting pieces for a chosen number of each type of puzzle. Then I going into a "construction stage" were I put the puzzle together, plastic welding and bonding. Then I may take a break from the vigorous activity with stickering each creation.

I have even found that changing the order in which I create the puzzle allows me to make complete use of the "by-products" that happen to be produced from each style. I start with the 4x3's, then onto the Fusion, Fusion+, and Triamese cubes, following by the SpeedFusion and last the 5x3 Cubes. Out of 900 cubes I creating this particular shipment leaving around 400 raw 3x3 cubes remaining.

I will continue now to create stock from these cubes.

Some puzzles are probably created in less than 15 minutes, but it seems that once I have the connectors made, the puzzles themselves are produced very soon after.

It's an amazing and fun process now.

Always Cubing,
Duane Cash
Rubix Corner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:10 am 
Hello All,

Just to clarify that the 4x3 and 5x3 Cubes are the extended-type.

Also the plastic weld solution used for any bonds in these puzzles is a specific type that has a 3500 lbs. bond strength. It has been the best I have ever seen. Better than any super glue and many other type of glues I heard mentioned on this forum- also it is less messy. I have tried others in the past but have found that many can be broken apart with extreme force or strength.

The only way to break the bond between these pieces would required them to be separated by power tools or saws.

I will begin producing the next batch of the creations today after taking a day off for other business - mainly my art business, shipping etc. Here's a picture of one my recently sold art pieces. Although it has little to do with puzzle building, you may still be interested in knowing that I was still able to perform my artwork alongside the puzzle building last week and that this is the other thing I currently do for a living.

Here's a link the ended auction:

'Friends' by Duane Cash

I will also check out the Drumond Park Toy Company as mentioned before and see what I find out too.

Always Cubing,
Duane Cash
Rubix Corner