Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blender is DEAD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:56 pm 

Attachment:
Blender is DEAD.JPG
Blender is DEAD.JPG [ 41.87 KiB | Viewed 1256 times ]

Over the weekend Solidworks arrived. My first impression is wow this is easy! :lol: I can now better understand Tony Fisher's dislike of what custom puzzles have become. In only a few hours I fully designed a (failed) Helicopter Skewbik compared to the weeks it would take to make the puzzle in Blender or months to do it by hand.

When designing puzzles with Blender I had to make every layer of every piece one at a time. This includes the layer inbetween layers formed by adding gaps between surfaces. For fillets I had to make them one at a time and mesh them into the model by hand. Fillets on curved edges was impossible. The real time kicker was to hollow a piece I had to redo everything a second time with larger gaps between faces and cut this part out from the origional. Afterwards the models are a nightmare to Shapeways so I have to go through one vertex at a time and clean them up to make them manifold. :x

Solidworks however is amazing! Just make a single sketch and everything else is almost done for you. I have a hard time remembering I can go back and edit this sketch even after the parts have been created :lol:

It's not all perfect however. When starting up Solidworks it usually crashes! Anyone know how to fix this? Also how would I go about making a Geared Cube?

(I can't wait to show tha amazing puzzles I'm working on!)

Post subject: Re: Blender is DEAD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:32 pm 

About Solidworks crashing, how much RAM do you have installed on your computer? (Click Start - right-click My Computer - Properties [on Windows] to find out)

My Youtube and Shapeways

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:41 pm 

Mindstormscreator wrote:
About Solidworks crashing, how much RAM do you have installed on your computer? (Click Start - right-click My Computer - Properties [on Windows] to find out)

If you have the legal version it's a RAM problem, get yourself a new computer ^^

I also just switched from AutoCAD to Solidworks two days ago and I've already designed a puzzle I couldn't possibly do with autoocad, although autocad is more adapted than solidworks for easy puzzles (pent prism etc.)

Solidworks is amazing!! I actually designed a... you'll see later (the one in my PM, PM6262), but there's a pic in the hints thread :P

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:13 pm 

If you need more RAM, it might be possible to install more... It just depends on your motherboard and how old your computer is.

Oskar wrote:
Am I becoming some twisty Chuck Norris, or so?

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:10 pm 

I have 3 GB so I don't think that's the problem. It loads fine but let's say I want to make a new part. It boots up and I make a sketch. As the camera rotates to the plane it freezes and ends up crashing. Every once in a while I can sketch a cube and exit the sketch. At this point it becomes an extremely robust program and I can exit out of that part and load my puzzle without any worries of it crashing again. (I do have a legal version, yay student edition!)

Also does anyone know how to do a Geared Cube? There are tons of gear tutorials online but not for this type of gear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:24 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I have 3 GB so I don't think that's the problem. It loads fine but let's say I want to make a new part. It boots up and I make a sketch. As the camera rotates to the plane it freezes and ends up crashing. Every once in a while I can sketch a cube and exit the sketch. At this point it becomes an extremely robust program and I can exit out of that part and load my puzzle without any worries of it crashing again. (I do have a legal version, yay student edition!)

Also does anyone know how to do a Geared Cube? There are tons of gear tutorials online but not for this type of gear.

I use 4 gigs it works just fine.

Trust me, get around SW and wait a while, once you made more than once successful 3D printed puzzle, then you can try gears...

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:42 pm 

Yes it took me a while to make working puzzles but my past few puzzles have worked perfectly. I already could make an exact copy of any of my Blender puzzles in Solidworks so I need to learn how to do stuff I couldn't do before such as gears. It's like if a construction worker using a spoon to dig foundations suddenly got a steam shovel with its own trained crew. The foundation will be the exact same quality but take a fraction of the time. What should he do with all that extra time? Dig to China of course!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:18 pm 

No offense but this is why people have told you not to use Blender. I mean yes it works, but you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:57 pm 

Welcome to heaven. We hope you like it here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:07 pm 

eye2eye wrote:
No offense but this is why people have told you not to use Blender. I mean yes it works, but you know what I mean.

I fully agree. It took so long to upgrade for two reasons,

1. Spend $100 on a program or $100 on actual puzzles.

2. Until I saw Eitan's puzzle making video on YouTube I didn't understand how powerful it is. I thought it would cut design time in half, not take only 5% the time and work while making a better quality design.

Looking back no one who told me Blender sucked at making puzzles had any experience using it so being naive I thought they just under estimated it (which was kinda true, before me the only puzzle ever made in Blender was a 1x2x3)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:50 am 

I did tell you!
Glad to see that you're trying something new, though- you won't regret it!
I still have to say, knowing how to use Blender is quite helpful for some things, but as a primary way to design puzzles? Nah :wink: