Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dodecahedral 6x6?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:39 am 

Is it even remotely possible to build?

When I think of it, I think of a puzzle where six faces have two layers and the other six have three. Imagine a C4Y 3x3x6, where you merge a 3x3x5 and 3x3x7, except on a dodecahedron, you would be able to scramble the two halves independently, then be able to scramble them together.

The set with two layers would be equally thick as the set with three layers. The faces with two/three layers can scramble, and as the last scramble step, they could be mixed together.

Ideas? I'm no designer, so I frankly don't know how this would work mechanically.

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

Post subject: Re: Dodecahedral 6x6?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:06 am 

You mean that with another layer ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9QMNoB1Hc

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:48 am 

Not quite.

Imagine a teraminx. Now visualize the selection of six faces of the puzzle. Change those six faces only to have two layers.

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:44 am 

NType3, I believe that RubixFreakGreg was showing what the "traditional" face turning dodecahedron that is analogous to the 6x6 would look like. In that video, the master kilominx can be seen as the 4x4, so adding another two layers would give a 6x6.

Your idea may work as well, but it wouldn't be the "true" 6x6 face turning dodecahedron. However, look at all the great puzzles we have that aren't their "proper" versions. In any case, any new dodecahedrons are fine by me! :lol:

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:15 am 

cjgerik wrote:
NType3, I believe that RubixFreakGreg was showing what the "traditional" face turning dodecahedron that is analogous to the 6x6 would look like. In that video, the master kilominx can be seen as the 4x4, so adding another two layers would give a 6x6.

Your idea may work as well, but it wouldn't be the "true" 6x6 face turning dodecahedron. However, look at all the great puzzles we have that aren't their "proper" versions. In any case, any new dodecahedrons are fine by me! :lol:

Chris

That's what I was explaining indeed, but his idea of having 6 teraminx faces and 6 gigamin faces is quite original !!

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:19 am 

Thank you!

Especially for that video. I had never seen that puzzle before :shock: How interesting.