Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
I have always been inspired by Tony Fisher's Hexaminx puzzle. Then I thought about doing the same for a pyraminx crystal. Does anyone know if this has been done before?

Thanks :)

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
Gus wrote:
I've finished stickering my Camouflage Cube:


But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:47 am
Location: near Utrecht, Netherlands
Claus has made something similar but fundamentally it's a very difficult puzzle to make work because the pieces specific to the Pyraminx Crystal have very little to hold them in.

_________________
Tom's Shapeways Puzzle Shop - your order from my shop includes free stickers!
Tom's Puzzle Website


Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Houston/San Antonio, Texas
Strictly speaking, it's impossible to make a Hexaminx like puzzle that has only the same pieces that are present on the pyraminx crystal assuming you use planar cuts. The geometry just doesn't work out. You must either remove the pyraminx crystal edges (resulting in a normal hexaminx) or venture into starminx territory - but at that point you might as well just call it a star hexaminx (or something along those lines).

Peace,
Matt Galla


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
What about turning a Helicopter Cube into a dodecahedron? After all, 12 axes to 12 faces seems pretty fitting.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 38.9 seconds
Well, I accumulated puzzles without even trying this Christmas. Whoops.
(Bermuda 8 planets, Rex Cube, Master Skewb, London Natural History Museum keychain 2x2x2, Impossiball)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oh... :( ok
Anyways, it was just an idea.
Tomz, could you give me a link to Claus' puzzle? Like to see it. Thanks :)

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
Gus wrote:
I've finished stickering my Camouflage Cube:


But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
GoombaGeek wrote:
What about turning a Helicopter Cube into a dodecahedron? After all, 12 axes to 12 faces seems pretty fitting.


Sounds like a good idea...
I would probably do that with the new Curvy Copter from Mefferts :)

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
Gus wrote:
I've finished stickering my Camouflage Cube:


But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: NJ
The geometry of the helicopter cube is of a rhombic dodecahedron, the dodecahedron that the megaminx and pyraminx crystal are is the platonic dodecahedron (each face is a pentagon). In other words transforming a helicopter cube into a platonic dodecahedron (in the likeness of a megaminx) would be more difficult than it would seem.

_________________
Jhahoua wrote:
Oskar wrote:
There are three types of people: those are good at counting and those who aren't ... :-)

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:00 am
You could mod a pyraminx crystal into a sphere, then just sticker it as with six colors. However I would imagine that it would be very hard to turn due how squishy the pyraminx crystal is in the first place.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
MonkeyZ wrote:
The geometry of the helicopter cube is of a rhombic dodecahedron, the dodecahedron that the megaminx and pyraminx crystal are is the platonic dodecahedron (each face is a pentagon). In other words transforming a helicopter cube into a platonic dodecahedron (in the likeness of a megaminx) would be more difficult than it would seem.


Yeah I did know it was going to be tough, but I guess it would be a great challenge for me to accomplish. :D
By the way, has anyone done such a mod before?

(I'm going off topic but never mind :lol: )

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
Gus wrote:
I've finished stickering my Camouflage Cube:


But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
[offtopic]I counted the pieces (yeah, I don't have university-level geometry powers so I use simple division to see if shapemodding would be easy), and the Helicopter Cube has 24 centers + 8 corners, or 32 pieces. It has 12 axes to turn around, so every face of the Helicopter Dodecube would have 2.6 repeating pieces on it. So making a symmetrical version would be mostly impossible. However, the Curvy Copter has 12 exposed centers, so it has 44 (exposed) pieces total. If you made the cuts asymmetrical, you could have 8 sides with 4 pieces and 4 sides with 3. Actually, 32 and 44 are both 4 off from a multiple of 12...

This math was done quickly and I'm probably ignoring an entire section of geometry in my AMAZING GRADE 9-LEVEL MATH SKILLS, so feel free to point out every single mistake.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 38.9 seconds
Well, I accumulated puzzles without even trying this Christmas. Whoops.
(Bermuda 8 planets, Rex Cube, Master Skewb, London Natural History Museum keychain 2x2x2, Impossiball)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pyraminx Hexaminx?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
GoombaGeek wrote:
[offtopic]I counted the pieces (yeah, I don't have university-level geometry powers so I use simple division to see if shapemodding would be easy), and the Helicopter Cube has 24 centers + 8 corners, or 32 pieces. It has 12 axes to turn around, so every face of the Helicopter Dodecube would have 2.6 repeating pieces on it. So making a symmetrical version would be mostly impossible. However, the Curvy Copter has 12 exposed centers, so it has 44 (exposed) pieces total. If you made the cuts asymmetrical, you could have 8 sides with 4 pieces and 4 sides with 3. Actually, 32 and 44 are both 4 off from a multiple of 12...

This math was done quickly and I'm probably ignoring an entire section of geometry in my AMAZING GRADE 9-LEVEL MATH SKILLS, so feel free to point out every single mistake.


Doesn't matter: I'm in Grade 9 too :wink:
I'm afraid that if we keep talking about turning a helicopter cube into a dodecahedron we will have to create a new topic soon. :)

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
Gus wrote:
I've finished stickering my Camouflage Cube:


But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group