Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: making a fisher cube, need help
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:14 am 

Does anyone have any stickers for a fisher cube, i need some. i could try and make some out of 3 by 3 stickers but idk. i cannot order them online. i lso need help meking it, maybe a tutorial? i have a dremel and moddeling material called DAS

Last edited by shaun413 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: making a fisher cube, need stickers.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:25 am 

Hi! and welcome to the forum! in saying you cannot buy them online, do you mean that you can't find them, or you are unable to order them? you can buy them at cubesmith.com if you are having trouble finding them. I have found nice vinyl sheets that I use to cut stickers from at united arts and education stores. (US) hope this helps!

4x4:29.29/33.53

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:34 am 

i have 3 by 3 stickers, can i make them out of that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 am 

You can't really make them from 3x3 stickers. The rectangles on 4 of the sides of the puzzle are wider than 3x3 stickers, so you would need larger stickers than 3x3 ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:21 pm 

Cubesmith sell them.

http://cubesmith.com/FishersCube.htm

Post subject: Re: making a fisher cube, need help
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:05 pm 

i edited the original post, please look at it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:07 pm 

I just thought of a really cool sticker mod idea for a fisher cube. Why hasn't someone made a fisher cube with actual fish on each face, kinda like the dino cube? That'd be really cool...

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:28 pm 

elijah wrote:
....a fisher cube with actual fish on each face ..... That'd be really cool...

Great idea! You could use the escher fish pattern to make it really confusing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 pm 

I think that would be too confusing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:09 pm 

I meant just with a fish on each sticker, and a color, like the dinosaurs on the dino cube, but, eh, whatever works.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:11 pm 

i just want some help with the construction. ill figure out the stickers i guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 pm 

BUMP please help

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:42 pm 

Okay so I've been inactive for like the past six months lol. It's going to be hard to explain without visuals, and i lost all my save files of puzzle designs. So I'm going to re-do it for you. :D

So take your cube and cut down the corners all the way to the opposite side of the cube. Then you'll have a puzzle that looks like an octagonal prism. Take the pieces you just cut off and cut them down to size so they fit on the centers/edges in between the pieces you just cut. Glue them on, fill it, and you have your fisher cube! :D

Picture:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10 ... trtet.jpg/

The red indicates the shape of the pieces that will be cut off, and where they should be glued on.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you had a dremel. By any chance do you have a hacksaw? That would be a much messier and easier method of choice to build it. It's a good investment to buy one if you are going to get into puzzle building. If you just hacksaw the pieces off i showed on the picture you won't have to worry about using plastic sheet to increase the length of the edges.

R.I.P. Frank (Flambore) you will always be in my memories.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:02 pm 

thanks for the help! any more help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:38 pm 

Don't get stressed if a mod doesn't come out perfect on the first try. It takes patience and precision to get it to perfection. Remember that you can take off as much as you want, but you can't re-add any of the plastic you cut off once it's gone. Cut a little less than what should be removed, then sand off the remaining parts if necessary. If you cut too deep it'll basically ruin the whole mod. When you cut the corners of the cube down, rotate the U and the D face to see if the pieces are bigger or smaller than others. Sand the pieces if they are, and eventually they'll all be the same size. Then move onto filling/capping them. Go from like 50 grit sand paper to like 400 grit. Sometimes I even use old newspaper as an end sandpaper since it has a rough texture. Try to get it as smooth as possible. Sticker sheets can be bought off Cubesmith if you want to cut out your own stickers (My preference) or you can buy pre-cut stickers. I recommend getting sticker sheets because you can make stickers for numerous puzzles with just one sheet of vinyl. Plus sometimes (my cuboctahedron mod is an example) the pieces are smaller than the machine cut stickers, because nothing you make will be perfect. One of the white stickers overlaps onto one of the truncated corners. Just recently it came to me that I can cut it off lol -facepalm-. The Fisher cube isn't the hardest mod, but it certainly isn't the easiest. Since it is a mod from a mod (the octagonal prism -> Fisher cube), if it doesn't come out the way you like, I recommend making an Octagonal Prism, and a Cuboctahedron. The Cuboctahedron is easy since you just take a Rubik's stand and put it backwards on the corner so it overlaps the cube. Then sand down whatever is sticking up out of the stand (plenty of tutorials on youtube for visuals). Stay confident though I'm sure you'll do fine. Remember to go slow and steady. It's not a race. My first mod took me three days to make, and it came out like garbage. It had air bubbles, each piece was a different size, and it smelled horribly like spray paint. I spent a month working on it to get it perfect.

Good luck and if you need any advice or extra help feel free to send me a PM. I don't go on the TP forum as frequently as I used to. Work, girlfriend, friends and the beautiful weather are preventing me from staying up to date with cubing. But don't worry I'll be sure to check every day to see if I have a message now. :)

R.I.P. Frank (Flambore) you will always be in my memories.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 pm 

Well im about to attempt this head on. Using loctite Repair putty, and a dremel. wish me luck.